Chuck Berry RIP

Woffy

Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans,
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
Who never ever learned to read or write so well,
But he could play a guitar just like a ringing a bell.

He certainly could.

Sad news.:(

7 hours ago, amfy said:

Gutted - he was working to the end - I always somehow held on to the hope I'd see him one Sunday afternoon at The Pyramid!

Yeah he would have torn it up a good few years back but hasn't been in the best of health for a while. Jerry Lee Lewis is still alive mind!:)

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Wow - lucky you. What were you doing (if you don't mind me asking?)

Was back in the early 90s. I was his dressing room flunky/ runner. He didn't want much of a rider. Black coffee done just how he wanted..not too hot. China mug. Wasn't the chattiest musician. In fact he mainly said yes. No. Go away. More coffee. Unless you talked to him about his music, then he kinda smiled as if to ask "are you taking the piss or do you really wanna know" . He'd chat about America and tours there. Uk didn't seem to impress him. Got one of his guitar picks somewhere.

35 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Was back in the early 90s. I was his dressing room flunky/ runner. He didn't want much of a rider. Black coffee done just how he wanted..not too hot. China mug. Wasn't the chattiest musician. In fact he mainly said yes. No. Go away. More coffee. Unless you talked to him about his music, then he kinda smiled as if to ask "are you taking the piss or do you really wanna know" . He'd chat about America and tours there. Uk didn't seem to impress him. Got one of his guitar picks somewhere.

Nice story Dee. By all accounts he was not a nice bloke, I don't think he trusted anyone which is kind of sad. But what a musical legacy. 

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

I'm well impressed. Thanks for sharing.

19 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

RIP

It's said that Chuck just toured solo with his guitar and worked with whatever local backing musicians were around.  If they were any good he paid them.  If not he kept all the cash.  I hope he reckoned this 'local backing band' were worth a few dollars.