Live Nation has acquired a controlling stake in IOW

JBarbour

Global have had nearly as many failures as they have successes, remember their GuilFest replacement?

What is their current state of revenue? They were £28 million down a few years ago.

I'm guessing those hundreds of Heart, Gold, and Classic events keep the money rolling in.

2 hours ago, craigb said:

Global has just acquired majority stake in Victorious Festival. 

Will be harder to kill it off now. Global is becoming a bit of a beast on the festival scene.. 

So you looked into it mate , they certainly are on the march though !

On 3/21/2017 at 0:49 PM, 5co77ie said:

Global have had nearly as many failures as they have successes, remember their GuilFest replacement?

What is their current state of revenue? They were £28 million down a few years ago.

I'm guessing those hundreds of Heart, Gold, and Classic events keep the money rolling in.

Why try and make a success of your own events when you can just buy up others. Global look to be following Live Nations lead. Throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, LOCHLAND5 said:

So you looked into it mate , they certainly are on the march though !

Oh I already knew Global was fast becoming a player on the festival scene. But only recently had the time to look more into it. Only have to look at the directors and see how many festivals they have a foot in with.

I'd be interested to know if LN snapped up IOW before Global made a move for it.  

Edited by craigb

7 minutes ago, craigb said:

Why try and make a success of your own events when you can just buy up others. Global look to be following Live Nations lead. Throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick.

Oh I already knew Global was fast becoming a player on the festival scene. I kinda do this for a living. But only recently had the time to look more into it. Only have to look at the directors and see how many festivals they have a foot in with.

I'd be interested to know if LN snapped up IOW before Global made a move for it.  

nowt better than a bit of director searching ! not always clear so you then have to google the newly appointed directors names ........... 

4 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

nowt better than a bit of director searching ! not always clear so you then have to google the newly appointed directors names ........... 

ha director stalking. Learn more about the running of festivals from companies house and linkedin than anywhere else. 

26 minutes ago, craigb said:

I'd guess probably not with that one.

That's probably closer to LN's recent acquisition of Metropolis, where they've a history of close collaboration, and the leading guy is looking at his retirement but wants to ensure the continuation of the business (so people don't lose jobs, etc). Selling to anyone else puts that future at risk.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, rseamer said:

without wishing ill on anyone involved in this deal, I'm glad to see the govt stepping in to look at it. Live Nation have quite quietly acquired controlling stakes in most of the other big festivals in the last decade or so, to the extent that most people probably haven't realised, and it's never a good thing when a market becomes dominated by one or two big players.

Tho i guess with music being considered an important export the govt - this govt - will probably do naff all, on the basis that no intervention has grown it to the importance that it is now. ;)

Anyway, having shown an interest here they're likely to take similar interest in any further acquisions, so it's good to know the govt has their eye on it at least.

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at this Live Nation Festival Passport thing and they have IOW listed as one of their events so I guess it must've gone through in the end.

edit: ah I see that LN aren't behind all the events but I assume there's a degree of partnership between Live Nation and the others. Dunno if there was any before with IOW and LN.

Edited by dentalplan