The Kasabian Thread

plaskins

As a live act i thought they were at their peak during 2009 and 10 around the West Ryder album. Velociraptor was one of the biggest disappointments of that year, i thought 48:13 was a marginal improvement but they really didn't set the world alight during their headliner set. It was ok, but not something I always fondly think back to. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new single is really bizarre. Can't get my head round it. Serge had been saying in the run up to it that the new album was written to "save guitar music", then they release YILWAP. They've always been a bit of an enigma as a band, in that the aura round them has always been bigger than the band themselves, and I say that a fan. 

48:13 was pretty forgettable. Although I really liked Bumblebee and Eez-eh was quite fun. 

Velociraptor! was pretty poor apart from Day Are Forgotten. 

West Ryder was their last great album. Underdog, Where Did All The Love Go?, Fast Fuse and Fire are all certified bangers.

I was never a fan of Empire, it was such a departure from the first album and it didn't sound like a progression. Sounded like they were trying too hard not to sound like  they did on Kasabian.

Their debut is masterpiece. Still sounds fresh today, thirteen (!) years later. 

Whatever way you look at it, they've had two great albums out of five, it's not s great hit rate. I think it's telling that their most successful and critically well received was their first, which was primarily written by Chris Karloff. They were never the same band after he left while they were making Empire. I genuinely think they could have been something special if not for that falling out. 

Aye as much as I love to slate em I'll always have a soft spot for that first album. Masterpiece may be pushing it personally but it was exciting at the time and I think it's held up pretty well, and the general thought always seems to be that it's their best. Diminishing returns ever since (although I think I lost interest before West Pauper came out so wasn't disappointed for long).

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye as much as I love to slate em I'll always have a soft spot for that first album. Masterpiece may be pushing it personally but it was exciting at the time and I think it's held up pretty well, and the general thought always seems to be that it's their best. Diminishing returns ever since (although I think I lost interest before West Pauper came out so wasn't disappointed for long).

Yeah masterpiece is probably a bit hyperbolic. It's a brilliant album though. Never managed to catch them live around that time, which I'll always regret. But I did see them 3 times between 08 and 2011 I think, and they were excellent every time. First time I saw them was a one off gig at the Academy in Glasgow, right in the middle of the Oasis stadium tour they were supporting on. It's genuinely one of the best gigs I've ever been to. A band at their live peak, in a venue too small for them. The crowd doing the LSF refrain went on as the place emptied, and carried on right down Bridge Street into the city centre. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a great lover of Kasabian but I love new music. I gave the new album a listen this morning on my way to work. I found it hard to listen to a full track, really poor. I respect any artist who tries to develop the sound and try new things, however, this new 'sound' is crap.

It feels like every album after WRPLA: it's listenable, doesn't hurt anybody but I never get the feeling they're gonna win any new fans over with that material, especially outside of the UK where they struggle ever since. On "Sixteen Blocks" they start off quite nice and it sounds different than the rest of the album and then they don't even bother with real lyrics for the chorus. The record feels like it was desperately written for success (well, of course everybody does that) but they dismiss every whiff of risk or experimentation (except for minor parts or "Are You Looking For Some Action?"), which I think they've shown until WRPLA that they were capable of. Somehow they turned from a creative band to an outdated band. So I'm not trying to slash them, the album is ok, I'm just a bit disappointed of what became of them. 

It's the same as most of their other albums to be honest, a handful of decent songs for the live set (Bless This Acid House, Comeback Kid, Ill Ray, the single and the last song) and lots of filler. Which is fine, Queen were never much of an albums band either. Maybe they should get Dan the Automator back for the next one. 

Found it intensely enjoyable. Doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's a fucking good shake up of their sound. Only "The Party Never Ends" didn't really resonate much but yeah there are plenty of brilliant songs on there.

Why couldn't they have just put this out instead of Empire and Velociraptor and 48:13?

2 hours ago, R95wilson said:

I usually enjoy most Kasabian stuff, but this album is a tad disappointing for me. Some alright stuff on it but I prefer their energetic stuff. 

I know what you mean, and I'm a big fan. Seen em on every tour since 2004, but this is up there with velociraptor for being a bit meh. West Ryder was their peak but 48:13 was brilliant too, loved the gear changes in sound through it. Seems like every other album is great, ones in between not so. No excuses given it's 3 years in between each album. 

I've been a huge Kasabian fan since 2004 but I have to admit that album-wise they've been on a steady decline since the debut. It's no coincidence that their best stuff was made when Chris Karloff (who was sacked for "certain creative and artistic differences") was involved. After his departure there was an obvious change in direction to a more Radio One-friendly sound. 

The new album has yet to win me over, a few more listens and I'll have a better idea. They still put on a good live show though and the new songs do sound better on a stage.

As for this NME interview, that's a ridiculous statement, with the sole purpose to court publicity. Whether it's good or bad, people will be taking notice, a ploy often used by the Gallagher brothers when they've got new material coming out.

On 05/05/2017 at 10:59 AM, Diamond24 said:

I think it's great. Ill Ray (The King) is one of their best ever songs in my opinion.

BEST EVER!

That is a ludicrous statement, that I couldnt let slide through unnoticed.

That is all.

37 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Still not listened to the new one yet, the single killed pretty much any interest I had but positive reviews on here have got me interested again. Will stick it on tonight when I get home. 

There woulda been better singles than that but bear in mind though that YILWAP is pretty indicative of the album. So if you are the real life Chev Chelios and it's just too sedate to be a good Kasabian tune that fits your lifestyle, the rest of the record might not be for you either.

On 2017-5-6 at 10:38 PM, SPTFRE said:

I've been a huge Kasabian fan since 2004 but I have to admit that album-wise they've been on a steady decline since the debut. It's no coincidence that their best stuff was made when Chris Karloff (who was sacked for "certain creative and artistic differences") was involved. After his departure there was an obvious change in direction to a more Radio One-friendly sound. 

The new album has yet to win me over, a few more listens and I'll have a better idea. They still put on a good live show though and the new songs do sound better on a stage.

As for this NME interview, that's a ridiculous statement, with the sole purpose to court publicity. Whether it's good or bad, people will be taking notice, a ploy often used by the Gallagher brothers when they've got new material coming out.

After 5 listens I've come to the conclusion that I actually like it. The pre-released tunes are the weakest ones on the album but I have to take them up on their statement that it was going to "save guitar music from the abyss" because it doesn't sound very guitar-based at all. In fact, it's more like Serge's disco odyssey than anything. I prefer it to 48:13.