The Ed Sheeran thread

russycarps

Galway Girl really is one of the most offensively bad songs in years.

Although to be fair to Ed, it's the only thing I've heard from him that elicits such a strong opinion. Everything else I've heard is just completely OK and bland.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the utmost respect for Ed for managing to convince the entire world that he is anything other than incredibly mediocre, but then mediocrity prevails almost constantly in the music world so it shouldn't come as any surprise really - one of these boys and their guitars was gonna get ginormous eventually, might as well be him. Seems like a nice enough guy. I'd like to have a pint and a line with him (just as long as none of his music is played or mentioned).

Pretty sure Ed's set will go down a storm and will be universally lauded. I'll be stunned if I cannot find alternative entertainment on the sunday night but if by some cruel fate I do end up at the Pyramid I may find myself enjoying the set and hating myself afterwards (very much like Coldplay in 2011 when I was dragged there reluctantly by my friends).

Now his announcement is finally out of the way I'm looking forward to discovering what the alternative will be.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I've got the utmost respect for Ed for managing to convince the entire world that he is anything other than incredibly mediocre, but then mediocrity prevails almost constantly in the music world so it shouldn't come as any surprise really - one of these boys and their guitars was gonna get ginormous eventually, might as well be him. Seems like a nice enough guy. I'd like to have a pint and a line with him (just as long as none of his music is played or mentioned).

Truest comment on the matter yet.

Now I will freely admit I don't read publications that would be likely to praise it, but the new record seems to have been panned in the vast majority of reviews I've read. The most positive was a 6/10 on Ultimate-Guitar of all places. He's definitely selling mediocrity by the bucket load.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Truest comment on the matter yet.

Now I will freely admit I don't read publications that would be likely to praise it, but the new record seems to have been panned in the vast majority of reviews I've read. The most positive was a 6/10 on Ultimate-Guitar of all places. He's definitely selling mediocrity by the bucket load.

Aye the mediocre reviews + hearing that Galway Girl song took a weight off my shoulders that, yes, I was right, he is shite, and it's not just me kidding myself. I've had so many people in my work asking me if I've heard the album and how they can't stop playing it and every one of them has been shocked when I told them that me, somebody very openly in to their music, thinks he's shite and won't listen to the new album. Fair play to him though - I only hope I can be as mediocre yet incredibly successful in my eventual permanent line of work (whatever that ends up being).

Still get a huge laugh out of those pictures of him off his face. Lad just wants to get bevvied.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably the biggest difference between this booking and last year with Adele is that she's got some genuinely knockout music.

I wonder what a search of the archive would dig up in terms of contemporary praise for all his gigs in 2011.

Yeah, I was dead keen on seeing Adele....Ed.....definitely not. She's got some tunes which will certainly stand the test of time (and not in a slightly embarrassing nostalgic kind of way, in a legit bangers kind of way)....Ed....not so much.

I can tell you about Ed in 2011/2012 because I bought tickets to see his Warchild gig that year, not because I wanted to see him but because Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon were supporting as a duo, their first gig together after Blur's 2009 run.

Disappointingly they played 2 obscure Blur songs and Under The West Way then fucked off from the stage. I thought to myself.....maybe i'll check out some songs from this Ed Sheran chap, obviously he's popular. I think I lasted two songs before doing a "Damon/Coxon" and making my speedy exit. The thing I remember more then anything else is how crazy people were going for him and yet how boring he was.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

He doesn't seem like a nice guy to me. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. Smug and smarmy.

Agreed. And that stuff he said about shagging all taylor swift's mates came off as incredibly creepy, and a bit rapey.

A wretched individual.

17 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I can tell you about Ed in 2011/2012 because I bought tickets to see his Warchild gig that year, not because I wanted to see him

Yeah, I saw him around the same time at an all day festival in Glasgow (Stag & Dagger in ABC2, with Michael Kiwanuka and Withered Hand, detail fans) - I was more hoping that there's a smoking gun of someone slating him here now that was full of vocal enthusiasm for him 5 years ago.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Galway Girl really is one of the most offensively bad songs in years.

Although to be fair to Ed, it's the only thing I've heard from him that elicits such a strong opinion. Everything else I've heard is just completely OK and bland.

I should not have listened to that song as much as I have because it's been stuck in my head for days and now I hate it. 

Just now, shuttlep said:

I aw an interview wit him, he described his own music as "Music girls eat ice cream and cry to"

So all the Bridget Jones's of the world. Odd boy.

Let's hope he clashes with with a great act on the other.

We picked Deadmau5 against Kanye, lot's of space to dance about.