The Ed Sheeran thread

russycarps

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Hah, well at least the article's got people talking eh. Each to their own like, hard not to think there's no smoke without fire sometimes. Course everyone's entitled to use their experiences to write lyrics from, but also they can also be an insight into the writer's character. Obviously not as suggested on last page by rustycarps, that Nick Cave is a murderer... Whatever Taylor Swift has or hasn't done, she's not responsible for Ed Sheeran's attitude towards women, whatever that may be.

Maybe she's thinking the saying it's ridiculous to be voted sexiest male thing is a form of false modesty. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Not exactly crime of the century either way. Like I say, I know next to nowt about the guy. This journalist and probably everyone on this thread knows more about him than I do. It just made me wonder, cos the impression I got of him, and maybe I'm wide of the mark on that, was that he's supposed to be some wholesome squeaky clean boy next door type of lad.

Dont want to start bashing swifty but he's not the only one to have written lyrics suggesting she's fake, ex calvin harris has too. I believe they're still mates so she couldn't have been bothered if it was about her. Any experience good or bad you have in a relationship will affect how you view potential future relationships and not necessarily mean you tar that whole gender with the same brush making you a man/ woman hater. Plus rumours of her romance with that tom bloke being essentially pr exercise, not to mention the kanye thing.

yes think he did start off as boy next door image - but he was what 22? He's lived a bit since then. Shape of you to me just sounds like that first rush of lust in a new relationship - he's not saying about her body being a particular shape - just he likes how she is. Seems like quite normal twentysomething behaviour to me. ( its been a while since I was in twenties so my memory might have faded :lol:).

Its been suggested kanyes lyrics have been misogynistic - but he headlined. (Not familiar with much of his stuff to say I agree or disagree). Then you have the allegations about Pete Townsend, and well where do you start with the Stones. 

Calling him out on making women body conscious, I assume playboy is not photo edited and uses all shapes and sizes of women then? 

So, I had a listen to Ed's new(ish) record to see what all the fuss was about.

My GOD do  I regret that decision, the man is a complete and utter tit and I didn't really care either way before. Here are some of the things that will make me stay well away from the Pyramid on the night:

• He mentions the fact he doesn't have a Uni degree on two different songs, two different bloody songs!
  • He describes his ex's new man as wearing sunglasses indoors, stereotype we're all aware of right? Nope, old Ed boy has to go further, the new man wears sunglasses not only indoors, but 'inside, in winter'!
  • Galway Girl is a crime against music, it's about as Irish as an American on St. Patrick's day bragging about how their great, great grand uncle was a quarter Irish.
  • All of the girls in the songs immediately fall in love with Ed
  • He talks about how money is the root of all evil, yet releases stuff as commercial as Shape of You

55 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

What a dumb article, the """journalist""" slags of all the white men headlining but then praises the Foo Fighters.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

That article is a load of w*nk tbf.

What is interesting though is how 'meh' the reaction to the Sheeran announcement has been. Whether positive or negative, the reaction to Kanye, Metallica and Adele (the last three eye catching headliners) was way bigger in the media. The Sheeran announcement was a big load of nothing, and it's not really picked up that much steam yet. I'm sure in the aftermath of the show people will love it, but currently the hype level seems to be way lower than Adele, Kanye and Metallica.

Edited by jparx

4 hours ago, jparx said:

That article is a load of w*nk tbf.

What is interesting though is how 'meh' the reaction to the Sheeran announcement has been. Whether positive or negative, the reaction to Kanye, Metallica and Adele (the last three eye catching headliners) was way bigger in the media. The Sheeran announcement was a big load of nothing, and it's not really picked up that much steam yet. I'm sure in the aftermath of the show people will love it, but currently the hype level seems to be way lower than Adele, Kanye and Metallica.

To be fair though Kanye and Metallica were very distinctive headliners for their own reasons. And with Adele there was always a question mark over her doing big gigs. Ed's music is nondescript and this headline slot has looked inevitable for the last few months.