2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think the reaction at Glastonbury last year just about ensures they'll be back as headliners - either next year or the year after.

They might not be as popular as they were, but they'd be a popular-enough headliner I reckon.

I think I agree.  I would have had them down as past it 12 months ago, but the response to their performance convinced me they could still do it. Hopefully without 'unique atmospheric conditions', or whatever the Funktion 1 excuse was ;)

Not that I'd be there, but plenty seemed to enjoy them and/or be excited at the prospect.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Lest we forget Mumfords headlined, and I'd say The 1975 are on a similar trajectory.

Mumfords had at least 2 songs that were (and for that matter, still are) getting airplay all over the place, and were/are constantly getting covered by jukebox/wedding bands. Almost anyone in the country could go to see them and be sure to recognise at least some of the set. I've not seen any sign of The 1975 getting into mainstream consciousness in the same way yet.

Not saying that they can't/won't headline, but I don't think it's the same thing.

Speaking as a once reluctant convert, y'all don't realise that The 1975 are actually underrated as fuck. The second album, while certainly a mess in a lot of ways,  showed they're way more than the teen boy band they might have seemed on first impressions. The glasto headline slot is in the bag for them but probably not until after they headline Reading first. 

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Speaking as a once reluctant convert, y'all don't realise that The 1975 are actually underrated as fuck. The second album, while certainly a mess in a lot of ways,  showed they're way more than the teen boy band they might have seemed on first impressions. The glasto headline slot is in the bag for them but probably not until after they headline Reading first. 

Got to agree with this, The 1975 would be far from my pick of headliners but if you look into their past two albums there are some hidden gems in there. I think bumping The 1975 as headliners would be a good move on behalf of Glasto. Feel like they can take a bit of a risk after 6 fairly huge bookings in the past 2 years

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well - there's a degree of balance where you need to try and satisfy as many people as possible, and as the cultural conversation moves away from rock music being more or less the only game in town I think the festival should reflect that lest it itself becomes obsolete the way that rock music seems to be*.  I wouldn't say that a line up that mixes in a Stormzy or a Kendrick with a huge pop star like Swifty or Madonna and a heritage act like Fleetwood Mac would be too outlandish or unpopular.

* At least, at the minute.

I think Madonna is enough of a heritage type and Fleetwood Mac a rock band that it’d fly. A bunch of acts that would be slammed as pop crap or hippedy hop for kids would be different. Plus Fleetwood Mac (and Elton) are retiring, so the Sunday oldie headliner well runs dry if they don’t add or reintroduce acts to it.

It’s pretty tough as most main stages at the festival predominantly feature rock-based acts. Does it trickle down? We’re seeing it in action with Coachella at the moment, which is obviously more of a youth-skewing trendy event but those headliners would be terminal for Glasto, never mind SuperDuperKyle playing the Park Stage and Post Malone playing the Other.

The 1975 will be big enough to headline Glastonbury in 2019. Whether they do or not is yet to be seen. If The 1975 aren't big enough then their pool of potential headliners is very small/unrealistic.

Not particularly a fan of them personally, but to suggest that they'll not be big enough by next summer is pretty crazy.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Aye, this talk of them being not big enough is a bit daft. As folk have said, they could be considered a "weaker option" in the vein of headline bookings but I'd wager their appeal exceeds all three of 17's subs - and they were all earmarked (likely with a pinch of salt) by Emily Eavis as potential headliners (Biffy have, sadly, likely missed the boat to offer up grandstanding meat-and-taters rock atop the Pyramid, though they're probably still bigger than the xx and The National - just about).

The 1975 would be far from a weak shout, if their trajectory continues to rise in the vein it has.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Talking of the xx, I was convinced that they would return as headliners at some point, which is looking pretty doubtful at the moment.  A shame, since they were bloody brilliant and they've already done both the slots below Pyramid headliner.

I think there's a reasonable chance they could headline after the next album as long as it arrives within a couple of years. I wouldn't say it's bound to happen, but a few on here fancy Foals to do it and I reckon The xx are about the same size as them. I enjoyed both their performances as Glasto subheadliners but I think The xx edged it; it actually caught me by surprise a bit just how much of a good time it was.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I think the reaction at Glastonbury last year just about ensures they'll be back as headliners - either next year or the year after.

They might not be as popular as they were, but they'd be a popular-enough headliner I reckon.

Defo feel The Killers will return next year over 2020, if only because of the, 'big enough to do it', but big enough to be a 50th anniversary one.

I defo think Kylie will finally play next year...not as a headliner mind. 

I can't Arctics not headlining next year given 2020 would be a 3rd year of touring on this coming album and that's not going to happen.

I would say The Killers, Arctic Monkeys and FM (if they agree the fee). I defo think Madonna if she does it will wait until 2020.

13 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't think they'll have both The Killers and Arctic Monkeys next year, they were two of the three headliners in 2007.

true! I wonder if The Killers don't make it until 2020 if they would accept a sub to play it?, under someone massive.

I'm not a big Killers fan, but they were good on the John Peel last year. I don't know if I'd go to see them on the Pryamid (headlining) though. I think the tent made the gig what it was, plus Frank Carter has already got the crowd going.

32 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They a good live band then? Never listened much to them but i'll probably see them at All Points East in May if they don't clash with anything better there

Are you off to everything this year? :P

I’m not that big a fan of them anymore but they’re quite a bit better live than on record.

49 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

They a good live band then? Never listened much to them but i'll probably see them at All Points East in May if they don't clash with anything better there

I think so. Although I did have the new album on repeat last summer, so I was predisposed to like them, but they did themselves justice. Even some of the b first album tracks were retooled to be more upbeat.

If you're interested, I might know someone who knows where to get the 2017 Glasto videos ;-)

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It's funny how people will throw out Led Zeppelin and Oasis and a second referendum to headline Glastonbury 2020 but Arctic Monkeys touring for 24 months instead of 18 is impossible, even considering the occasion. :P

Second Referendum is a fucking great band name.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oooh I am interested, I guess it could be worth a watch.

On the other hand, I went to see them at Brixton based on all the hype around them live. As someone who kind of likes them and really likes the odd song, I thought they were boring.

The 1975 get some quite unfair stick as far as I can tell, but they still don’t have the universal appeal that someone like Mumford had when they headlined. I bet my mum knows the words to Little Lion Man. She probably hasn’t heard of The 1975.

20 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Would we consider Kendrick, Killers and Florence a strong trio of headliners? In regards to when Florence got the bump-up (and succeeded) leading into HBHBHB, I'd say that's probably the same level that The 1975 are floating around right now. Still reckon they're a fair shout for it.

nah, FATM were far bigger after 2 albums when they were booked to sub the Pyramid (just before releasing their 3rd), than The 1975 are now.

WKxHD19.jpg

9dsXMq0.jpg

The 1975 are more like The XX after 2 albums, and I doubt anyone was calling for them to headline before they released their 3rd album....

pqg1qJT.jpg

look at the UK festivals The 1975 played last year - headlined Latitude along with Fleet Foxes and a down-in-the-dumps Mumford. headlined Parklife with Frank Ocean. subbed TRNSMT playing before Biffy Clyro.

none of those are Glastonbury headliner level now, and neither are The 1975. subs is their level.

even look at those festival headliners over the last couple of years;

Parklife - Chems, Major Lazer / Disclosure, Rudimental.

Latitude - The National, Maccabees, New Order / Alt-J, Portishead, Noel Gallagher

those were not going to be Glastonbury 2017/2018 headliners.

maybe if their next album is huge, and GFL have no other headliner booked, they might take a chance on them, but now, they're not headliner material by basically any metric.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

nah, FATM were far bigger after 2 albums when they were booked to sub the Pyramid (just before releasing their 3rd), than The 1975 are now.

WKxHD19.jpg

9dsXMq0.jpg

The 1975 are more like The XX after 2 albums, and I doubt anyone was calling for them to headline before they released their 3rd album....

pqg1qJT.jpg

look at the UK festivals The 1975 played last year - headlined Latitude along with Fleet Foxes and a down-in-the-dumps Mumford. headlined Parklife with Frank Ocean. subbed TRNSMT playing before Biffy Clyro.

none of those are Glastonbury headliner level now, and neither are The 1975. subs is their level.

even look at those festival headliners over the last couple of years;

Parklife - Chems, Major Lazer / Disclosure, Rudimental.

Latitude - The National, Maccabees, New Order / Alt-J, Portishead, Noel Gallagher

those were not going to be Glastonbury 2017/2018 headliners.

maybe if their next album is huge, and GFL have no other headliner booked, they might take a chance on them, but now, they're not headliner material by basically any metric.

Contrast with the latter selection though (if you don't mind), they're clearly in the ascendancy contrasted with just about all those headliners, save maybe The National (Noel G is a strange one, given his continued sales pull with HFB albums).

The 1975 headlining, right now, are a shade bigger than Biffy I'd say as a draw - and Biffy were considered a hell of a strong sub last year. In that vein, I'd be putting Mr Healy and his compatriots in with a shout of headlining.

Kind of funny I'm arguing so stringently for this point typically given I base all my calls around first week sales metrics and drop-offs, and I am willfully sliding away from that here :D 

they may indeed be "in the ascendancy", but they're not there yet as they're not selling big enough for a new band to be headlining, don't have enough of a back catalogue compared with bands that have been around years that can headline, and are not playing big enough slots elsewhere to be in with a serious shout of headlining at the moment.

if Glastonbury was on this year there is zero chance they'd headline. they'd get a Pyramid-sub slot at best. talk of them being big enough now to headline is absurd.

maybe their new album will be massive and they will be in 2019. or maybe, like The XX, their 3rd album will sell less than their second, which sold less than their first....

Edited by ghostdancer1