2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

That makes sense to me.

For what it's worth I think the 50th thing will have little to no impact on 2019 bookings. 2019 will just be any other year, I think they will try and get the best bookings they are available to them at the time (i.e. anyone who is touring or doing the festival circuit). If they are outwardly trying to get extraordinary bookings (see Led Zep, Floyd, Oasis etc) then they might ask about 2020 first. but I doubt that they would turn down the 2019 opportunity. I'm not sure how far in advance big bands normally organise these sorts of things but if they are trying to make bookings now I'd imagine it will be a lot easier to do so for 23 months time than 35 months.

headline status bands are generally planning their world tours from 2 years in advance these days (due to needing to book stadiums throughout Europe/the US etc), with headliners in talks with most big festivals a year-18months in advance.

might not get full signed off until 6 months before, but you can be sure the likes of R&L and other major international festivals know  who will be around next summer at this stage from booking agents, and are already on the way to getting their 2018 headliners sorted.

Yeah Emily said recently that they'd been talking to booking agents for major 2019 slots prior to this years festival but before they'd begun with that, two headliners had approached the festival to play 2020 and had been subsequently [provisionally] lined up. So I agree they'll be putting 2019 first and trying to make that as big as possible but if big acts pop up wanting to play 2020 then that's a bonus.

I suppose the problem is that the mega acts - Stones, Zep, Floyd are all rather advanced in years so are they really going to be making plans for three years from now?

It really wouldn't shock me if the Gallaghers already have a rough agreement in place for solo stuff in 18, reform 19, Glasto 20.

As mentioned for the 134265th time we NEED  NIN  BADLY. Would be sublime. Trent and co still have that provocative edge. The EP arriving on Friday will be brilliant. Less Than has been previously shared by someone else but its got that distinctive classic electro rock Nine Inch Nails sound. On the other hand, This Isn't The Place is slow and dark and has the creepy Year Zero/With Teeth/Ghosts vibes. Two very different songs, excellent variety all the more exciting.

They're doing some American festivals, but nothing too serious this year. Next year I'd imagine they'll have a world tour, hopefully running into 2019 ready for a Glastonbury slot just at the end. 

Now that I've ticked off Radiohead again and since Prince has died I'm struggling to think of anyone I'm particularly bothered about seeing headline. I'd go see Daft Punk or Kendrick Lamar, but that's about it. Not really fussed about any of the other names mentioned here.

I guess in a way that shows how lucky I've been to have seen so many incredible names in the all the years I've been so far.

And also how old I'm getting lol

Edited by Junglist1981

51 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Now that I've ticked off Radiohead again and since Prince has died I'm struggling to think of anyone I'm particularly bothered about seeing headline. I'd go see Daft Punk or Kendrick Lamar, but that's about it.

Kate Bush is the last remaining 'dream' headliner for me. Unless we can get an Abba reunion. Who knows which is more likely. Kate Bush, Abba and Taylor Swift to headline the same year and make a real statement.

Other than those, there's a couple I'd love to see happen but nothing comes close.

Edited by jyoung

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah Emily said recently that they'd been talking to booking agents for major 2019 slots prior to this years festival but before they'd begun with that, two headliners had approached the festival to play 2020 and had been subsequently [provisionally] lined up. So I agree they'll be putting 2019 first and trying to make that as big as possible but if big acts pop up wanting to play 2020 then that's a bonus.

Not sure why anyone thinks the two in 2020 will be super, mega, awesome turbo acts? It'll probably be Coldplay, Kasabian and Beyonce.

8 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Not sure why anyone thinks the two in 2020 will be super, mega, awesome turbo acts? It'll probably be Coldplay, Kasabian and Beyonce.

Apart from Kasabian that is pretty big and would fit the super, mega, turbo year 

After seeing Foals at Benicassim  the other night (first time seeing em) I've no doubt they're good & big enough with enough bangers to pull it off, and in 2 years should have a new album. Can't believe it's taken me this long to see and appreciate them. Out-Fucking-standing. 

So I'll go with AM, Foals, and some Cheesy big popular pop, rap or old timer act for the 3 nights. 

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They will be by then at least. Probably squeeze another IOW/BST next year and then not really to be worried about ever again.

Dunno. Maybe I'm bias because I quite like them but don't see why they'd go backwards- new album got number 1, they're bound to announce a bunch of arenas after R&L etc. They've made no secret of wanting to play Wembley & I imagine they'll be eyeing it up for next summer, that'll give em another boost. 

Don't see why they can't still headline if yer Arctic Monkeys & the like can. 

18 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Apart from Kasabian that is pretty big and would fit the super, mega, turbo year 

How many headline performances do Coldplay get before their booking isn't that 'big' anymore.

I mean they're a big band but Coldplay headlining Glasto isn't a special occasion.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They will be by then at least. Probably squeeze another IOW/BST next year and then not really to be worried about ever again.

Lord I hope so.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is this a photoshop job with modern acts mixed up with suitable bands from 10 years ago?

Shocker innit. A line-up's gotta be bad when booking a naff misogynistic rapper who peaked in 2002 as headliner for the second time in five years isn't close to the worst thing about it.

26 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

How many headline performances do Coldplay get before their booking isn't that 'big' anymore.

I mean they're a big band but Coldplay headlining Glasto isn't a special occasion.

Churn in Glastonbury attendees over four years makes the 'they've done it so many times' thing a lot less relevant than people on here like to believe. Any band who can comfortably sell out four nights at Wembley is a huge booking for the festival. Slight question mark over whether they'll still be quite that big in another three years but doesn't seem unreasonable to work on the assumption they will.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think Foals are working towards it and are obviously headliners already for any other festival but Glastonbury. After subbing last year it's not going to happen without another album though and it would obviously have to be a good one at that.

I have to be honest, I don't see Foals as a headliner. I've seen them a few times and enjoyed them but their sub set last year left me completely cold.

• Upvote 1