2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Fleetwood Mac

Arctic Monkeys

Drake

It's not the worst shout.

1 hour ago, rhg_99 said:

Without trying to reignite the debate or sound like an upset parent, if they go with Drake over Kendrick Lamar then I will be stunned and very disappointed.

Way more radio friendly so not u likely but no chance is he doing the Sunday.

1 hour ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Taylor Swift

Arctic Monkeys

Elton John

Elton John won't ever headline Glastonbury, he'd 100% have to accept the Legends slot. Gaga I think has got to be in there.

My choice was with The 1975 but I'm thinking Arctics, Gaga and Fleetwood Mac is a good shout, this tour they are supposedly doing you would think it possibly the last chance to get them. I'm not sure if any bar FM would be considered their choice for the 50th Anniversary, Arctics are too easy to get for that.

It should be too soon but I think Coldplay for that 50th Anniversary have to be involved, there is no way Chris won't be there for it.

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I think this year and last year's headliners have proven the organisers don't have the spuds for pyramid headliners of his ilk anymore.

it's bland shit all the way now, baby.

It's not a festival that is going to book hip hop every year is it to be honest and the last time they did that it was the biggest backlash they've ever had, it's funked.....even he said it did and that's the most egotistical I am God man walking on the earth.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

But then if you factor 2014 and 2015 into that view things dont seem quite so staid.

that tit with the petition and kanye's so-called awful performance (even though you and I think otherwise!) have fucked everything up I reckon, for the foreseeable future anyway

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

that tit with the petition and kanye's so-called awful performance (even though you and I think otherwise!) have fucked everything up I reckon, for the foreseeable future anyway

I dunno.  It's difficult to picture what the likely headliner landscape will be in two years time, but its not impossible to envisage Kendrick headlining alongside a.n. other younger artist like Taylor Swift, - with a returning artist like Arctic Monkeys to keep the rock fans happy.

But then I do still want to see scorn poured on Neil Lonsdale and his fucking petition.

There has to be some sort of sea change coming though. Considering a lot of the relative 'legendary' acts have been rinsed now and the only ones considered for future Glasto slots seem to be Elton and Fleetwood Mac; both have imaginably shut out the festival before and either could arguably be out of the game in two years time as they both seem to have teased retirement

The Guardian did a piece about Coachella doing away with a lot of the oldie acts this year (Radiohead, Zimmer and New Order aside) and serving the youth. One of the promoters they interview says about "Coachella is Coachella. Glastonbury is Glastonbury. It's not about who's playing". Would love that to be true and take some more adventurous punts on headline choices.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

One of the promoters they interview says about "Coachella is Coachella. Glastonbury is Glastonbury. It's not about who's playing". Would love that to be true and take some more adventurous punts on headline choices.

Coachella looks fucking horrific. 

As for the headliners at Glasto, depends on who you are I suppose. Ed Sheeran is the only interesting one of the three this year. He'll get the biggest crowd anyway. 

Edited by The Nal

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I think this year and last year's headliners have proven the organisers don't have the spuds for pyramid headliners of his ilk anymore.

it's bland shit all the way now, baby.

Oh yeah fair point I don't expect them to go for him either. Thought you were saying there's no one out there who could do it and would be good.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Coachella looks horrific. 

As for the headliners at Glasto, depends on who you are I suppose. Ed Sheeran is the only interesting one of the three this year. He'll get the biggest crowd anyway. 

Coachella have the filthy lucre to land some big exclusives that are beyond the reach of other festivals, like AC/DC and G'n'R.  But then Glastonbury's name and reputation grant it the cachet to secure other biggies, most recently Adele and Ed.  It's just that the former two names will be of interest to a pretty different demographic than the latter two would.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The older generation of mega acts is passing out of reach, true - but the bigger danger of moribundity is from the rotating cast of Coldplays, Muses and Monkeys.  Hopefully Kasabian remain a one off.

True for some acts but there seems to have been a cutoff point people gawp, open-mouthed at the legendary act before them regardless of how little they give a shit about them. There are 90's acts aplenty that don't approach the threshold of Glastonbury bookers giving a shit about them headlining, 2000's acts seem to be dropping out too.

I think Kasabian and Muse stock levels are dropping, Biffy and Mumfords are already stepping down a level, Kings of Leon will probably jack it in before it becomes not worth their while. I can't see Coldplay sticking around for the long term - granted they haven't actually said about splitting up but they've spoken about things in a finite fashion. Arctic Monkeys will probably be around every few years, sure, and The Killers seem to have had a shot in the arm but even aside from those, there are few who are being talked about for repeat performances.

Maybe just being hopeful but I do reckon we could be looking at a different era of headline acts where they're looked at for innovation and current popularity across a bunch of genres.

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I dunno.  It's difficult to picture what the likely headliner landscape will be in two years time, but its not impossible to envisage Kendrick headlining alongside a.n. other younger artist like Taylor Swift, - with a returning artist like Arctic Monkeys to keep the rock fans happy.

But then I do still want to see scorn poured on Neil Lonsdale and his fucking petition.

The festivals response to Neil Lonsdale's petition has been to book muse, coldplay, adele, foo fighters, radiohead and ed sheeran.

Let's face it: he won.

The perfect response would have been to have kendrick lamar or stormzy to headline (or both). What a beautiful 'fuck you!' that would have been.