2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Re: cure. I remember Michael being asked and he said that they discussed them playing but they always want to headline but they now weren't big enough to headline. Therefore discussions fell apart. Maybe at the the talk he did at the South Bank? 

Edited by danbailey80

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Re: cure. I remember Michael being asked and he said that they discussed them playing but they always want to headline but they now weren't big enough to headline. Therefore discussions fell apart. Maybe at the the talk he did at the South Bank? 

They’ve sold out Hyde Park this summer so they still have a pretty substantial following. How much of that following transfers over to GF is another question, I fear they’d be met with a resounding shrug by a large proportion of festival goers. There’s also the issue of their set lengths.

Personally I’d give them a three hour slot on the Other one night and let them go nuts.

I think they're in that group with Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam where they're Pyramid headliners but probably wouldn't get that great a reception so the Eavii probably won't go for them as first choice. Out of the three I think Depeche Mode are the most likely to headline, and by the sounds of it they're also a band the Eavii have been after recently.

The Cure being given 3 hours on the Other would be great and I doubt it'd be overcrowded, but I just don't think they'd accept playing the second stage, especially having headlined the Pyramid 3 times and still headlining everywhere else they play.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’ve sold out Hyde Park this summer so they still have a pretty substantial following. How much of that following transfers over to GF is another question, I fear they’d be met with a resounding shrug by a large proportion of festival goers. There’s also the issue of their set lengths.

Personally I’d give them a three hour slot on the Other one night and let them go nuts.

Issue is there there is one playing to your crowd...we've seen them sell crazy prices for Royal Albert Hall gigs etc but it's playing a massive gig to a crowd that almost requires large crowds of people bothered if you get me?, they're a band that tbf have more of a base that are into them and have stayed that way. When The Cure play their fans know it's them, people buy Glasto tickets without knowing anyone. Other stage for a full set would be the best option with a top two hip hip/grime/dance Pyramid stance, similar to C&S/Example and Stormzy Wiley in 2nd and 3rd. They won't be offered headline and The Cure won't take less when they know what people pay for them, plus DM as said before similarly have taken co-headline at an almost failed IOW...you'd have thought if they could get DM at all it would be outright.

Take NIN, Nick Cave and The National for example. If you like them you do butnif not you probably won't even go close to watching. 

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Not as a pyramid headliner, but what are the chances of Ozzy Osbourne showing up somewhere? Apparently he's retiring so it would make sense to do it next year. Other Stage headliner perhaps? I know he's more suitable for Download but I'd say he's significant enough to for Glasto to make an exception...

I don’t think Glastonbury is significant enough for Sharon to make an exception.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, zahidf said:

i think last time they played, they were massively late on stage because they were watching the World cup

that would have been the France-Brazil penalty shootout of 86, not 95. I wasn't at Worthy Farm that saturday night, but was in the Milton Keynes Bowl watching a Glasgow band that subbed them on the Pyramid 9 years later. 

6 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Don't think she will headline but see Ariana Grande has a new single out.

Think she must be inline for a high spot.

It's a shame she wasn't on the line-up last year. I think after the One Love gig in Manchester, a Glasto appearance would have been quite special with a huge crowd. 

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can totally see Ariana Grande getting booked. Not as a headline though. 

Strong sub in this day and age, I think, and not even strictly to a massive pop headliner. Very much of the Biffy Clyro/XX/Foals level (obviously not music-wise) - enough sales, recognition and currency to be a very strong sub, but perhaps a shade below headliner.

Really not sure who to lean on as my picks now. Still gunning for The 1975 and AM to be two options within the next two festivals - and that they will do R+L in the others.

If AM willing to wait for that 50th Anniversary date, then:

2019: The 1975, ???, ???
2020: ???, Arctic Monkeys, ???

I really want to think that there's only a maximum of two former headliners in the next six. I know that the expectation of size for a Glasto headliner has gone through the roof since 2011, but plenty of strong shouts who may not be stadium-fillers to play. (See earlier in post, tbh. These are the sort of sales, if adjusting for the times, that would have been the mark a decade and  a half ago).

20 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Strong sub in this day and age, I think, and not even strictly to a massive pop headliner. Very much of the Biffy Clyro/XX/Foals level (obviously not music-wise) - enough sales, recognition and currency to be a very strong sub, but perhaps a shade below headliner.

Really not sure who to lean on as my picks now. Still gunning for The 1975 and AM to be two options within the next two festivals - and that they will do R+L in the others.

If AM willing to wait for that 50th Anniversary date, then:

2019: The 1975, ???, ???
2020: ???, Arctic Monkeys, ???

I really want to think that there's only a maximum of two former headliners in the next six. I know that the expectation of size for a Glasto headliner has gone through the roof since 2011, but plenty of strong shouts who may not be stadium-fillers to play. (See earlier in post, tbh. These are the sort of sales, if adjusting for the times, that would have been the mark a decade and  a half ago).

Why would they wait?, it's a 3rd year of touring and why would Glasto want it 3 years later. Muse is probably the only headliner of recent times at all to play the year after covering another English festival and even at that it was a niche festival.

3 hours ago, stanh said:

Not as a headliner, but I can see Kylie getting booked for the sunday afternoon slot (similar to Barry Gibbs) 

I think this is a decent suggestion. I was thinking of her as a potential subheadliner, but I think she'd go down better in an afternoon slot as you suggest. I'm all for her being booked in that sort of slot too.

21 hours ago, jj200 said:

i can see years and years getting booked for next year.

As a headliner? No chance, surely. They're not big enough.

I think The 1975 are a fairly decent shout for 2019. The Killers, too?.

Coldplay will almost certainly be at the 50th anniversary. 

Edited by DareToDibble