2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I can go with you knowing the inside scoop about festivals and shows for certain bands and whatever but announcing Little Mix are splitting up is next level shit.

I mean I'm not really down with what's happening in the pop world, so I thought it was out there already, so I'm not really sure if I'm throwing someone under the bus here but the gal who told me is involved in like rigging up their live equipment and stuff (she also did Hacienda Classical at Glasto last year) so I took it to be legit. I dunno. :dontknow:

Also i should add that's it's quite possible i've got the wires crossed myself. This chat did happen in a pub. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

36 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let us also never forget the chap who claimed Bob Harris had told him who was headlining. Forget which year that was, may have been the same year as bettingslipgate. 

That literally was bettingslipgate, wasn't it? Bob Harris told him so he pretended put a bet on because he was so confident.

3 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

BBC 6 Music interviewed Emily and asked about the headliners. She completely skipped the subject and said "everybody wants to play the 20th Anniversary in 2 years". 

50th, you mean.

But that's a bit weird. Nearly a year ago now she was very keen to tell me the same thing - which made some sense for then, but a bit less sense now.

It puts two ideas in my mind...

1. that she's landed something a bit special for 2020, and is excited that she has.

or

2. she's struggling to find acts who are willing to talk about perhaps headlining next year.

Of the two, I'd say it's much more likely to be the first one. So who might she have?

She specially told me (came back to me to add it to what she'd said) "it's not Pink Floyd" so I reckon we can trust her word on that one.

I'd say it's not Led Zep, given what Page has just said. As he's given up on them playing live there's definitely nothing on the cards.

Take your pick for anything else.

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

can you remember what pages it is ? can't seem to work it out ... I do remember trying a little rhyme hallway through .. which is a definite first for me ... would like a reread of that moment ;)

The whole Foos thing goes on for ever but the real action starts on page 83. It's page 110 before he gets in :D

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

50th, you mean.

But that's a bit weird. Nearly a year ago now she was very keen to tell me the same thing - which made some sense for then, but a bit less sense now.

1. that she's landed something a bit special for 2020, and is excited that she has.

or

2. she's struggling to find acts who are willing to talk about perhaps headlining next year.

Of the two, I'd say it's much more likely to be the first one. So who might she have?

She specially told me (came back to me to add it to what she'd said) "it's not Pink Floyd" so I reckon we can trust her word on that one.

I'd say it's not Led Zep, given what Page has just said. As he's given up on them playing live there's definitely nothing on the cards.

It’s Coldplay. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

50th, you mean.

or

Stones again? I'd be surprised if they'd take a 'low fee' again mind, and it would be pretty much the same setlist. 

For 2020, I think they might go with a rising star (i.e. Stormzy if he has another album), an established mainstay (Coldplay :mellow:) and then someone like Fleetwood Mac. 

Just hazarding a guess, but I think the bill will have a few headline acts lower down - similar to last year to be fair. 

I think they're always trying to get the best line up but being the 50th will make it more appealing to acts who wouldn't normally consider it/the lower fee etc.

Edited by vintagelaureate

I think Elton John has got to be a good shout for the 50th - massive British artist, will be just finishing up his final tour which coincides with his 50th year in the business, and has never played the festival before so it’s basically the last thing he needs to tick off his list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

it's a fair bet that - barring any medical reasons  - they'll be active at that point.

that's the thing. At their age it's a fair bet there'll be medical reasons for at least one of them.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

also nowadays more or less permanently on the road

I think that's getting them in before those medical reasons get in the way.

20 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Well that's upsetting news :sorry:

Aye, it could be totally unfounded, one of those friend of a friend situations. The story I was told was that it was Iain who was wanting to step away from band. Didn't think too much of it, then when they released their new song they said they were working with an external producer for the first time so I wondered if maybe it was true and this album is them testing the water to working without Iain. 

16 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Sounds to me (ie someone who knows shit-all) that she's just deflecting from the headliner talk and the big 50th anniversary is a decent topic to distract with.

if it was only that recent quote I'd agree.

But because she said - volunteered (I wasn't interrogating her, it was much more general chatting, with me avoiding quizzing her) - something very similar to me last April I think there's something more to it. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's the thing. At their age it's a fair bet there'll be medical reasons for at least one of them.

I think that's getting them in before those medical reasons get in the way.

Indeed.  All it'll take is Charlie's cancer to come back and they'll shut up shop for keeps - but at the minute they're making hay while the sun shines.