2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

So like I'm really struggling to think anymore who could be in the running for next year. I feel like this fallow year has actually made it really hard to predict anything - I remember plenty of people guessing pretty accurately in the wait for 2013... 

I was thinking/reading the Coachella boards... also reading the posts of the COS guy who named the Coachella headliners before the end of the year.

Apparently, Eminem was booked very late and the organisers had someone else in mind. Rumours on Reddit (and i'l link them if someone wants a source) said that Beyonce being pushed back a year actually caused them to change another act that they had in the running. Someone on the boards was pretty certain that Justin Timberlake was booked for Coachella 2018, and they decided not to have Beyonce and JT in the same year.
Not really sure how much I buy it since I don't see how Beyonce and Eminem is that different.

Seems like he's gearing up to announce another album, and i'm not the biggest fan of him but could he headline Glastonbury? I know he might not fit that well but I imagine on the night it would go down very well.

Arctic Monkeys, Justin Timberlake and The 1975 would work well I think. The only reason I chose 1975 is that we're still a year away and another album from them could big them up quite a bit.

Edit: Don't think I explained it well - apparently JT was moved from 2018 to 2019 and Beyonce was put in his place.

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So like I'm really struggling to think anymore who could be in the running for next year. I feel like this fallow year has actually made it really hard to predict anything - I remember plenty of people guessing pretty accurately in the wait for 2013... 

I was thinking/reading the Coachella boards... also reading the posts of the COS guy who named the Coachella headliners before the end of the year.

Apparently, Eminem was booked very late and the organisers had someone else in mind. Rumours on Reddit (and i'l link them if someone wants a source) said that Beyonce being pushed back a year actually caused them to change another act that they had in the running. Someone on the boards was pretty certain that Justin Timberlake was booked for Coachella 2018, and they decided not to have Beyonce and JT in the same year.
Not really sure how much I buy it since I don't see how Beyonce and Eminem is that different.

Seems like he's gearing up to announce another album, and i'm not the biggest fan of him but could he headline Glastonbury? I know he might not fit that well but I imagine on the night it would go down very well.

Arctic Monkeys, Justin Timberlake and The 1975 would work well I think. The only reason I chose 1975 is that we're still a year away and another album from them could big them up quite a bit.

Yeah Justin Timberlake could be in with a shout. I think R&L will get The 1975 in 2019 though, although they will probably be big enough aye.

I'm currently predicting Drake, Arctic Monkeys & U2, but really it's very hard to say right now.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah Justin Timberlake could be in with a shout. I think R&L will get The 1975 in 2019 though, although they will probably be big enough aye.

I'm currently predicting Drake, Arctic Monkeys & U2, but really it's very hard to say right now.

I keep going through weird cycles with 2019 I feel like I can't even make a prediction lol

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Edit: Don't think I explained it well - apparently JT was moved from 2018 to 2019 and Beyonce was put in his place.

Timberlake seems a fair call. Would be more interesting than Sam Smith for the pop headliner, but also more expensive so maybe not. I dunno what to think about Smithy doing it now cos he's shifting units like mad - I think he's been in the top 3 since his album was released two months ago and he'll probably still be in the top 5 in spring. He has, however, zero cultural impact as people have pointed out and I just don't know how people could bring themselves to care. 

I think they might bump up Foals or The 1975; the latter being the more clear cut but I reckon R+L will have signed them up to headline on album three ages ago. They even said they'd headline R+L and then Glastonbury themselves.

The other one has to be some justifiably big rock band I guess. Not sure who - was thinking RHCP but for a marquee rock band that is a very shit one.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I keep going through weird cycles with 2019 I feel like I can't even make a prediction lol

We're only fourteen months away from all headliners being officially announced. Get your shit together! :P

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Timberlake seems a fair call. Would be more interesting than Sam Smith for the pop headliner, but also more expensive so maybe not. I dunno what to think about Smithy doing it now cos he's shifting units like mad - I think he's been in the top 3 since his album was released two months ago and he'll probably still be in the top 5 in spring. He has, however, zero cultural impact as people have pointed out and I just don't know how people could bring themselves to care. 

I think they might bump up Foals or The 1975; the latter being the more clear cut but I reckon R+L will have signed them up to headline on album three ages ago. They even said they'd headline R+L and then Glastonbury themselves.

The other one has to be some justifiably big rock band I guess. Not sure who - was thinking RHCP but for a marquee rock band that is a very shit one.

Call me out but I swear for 2013 stones rumours started pretty early and people already considered the mumfarts a strong possibility to get bumped up. For 2019 it just feels a bit sparse

RHCP is a weird one, I still think they are worthy of a top Glastonbury headline slot but it just feels a bit too late. I guess you could argue the same about Foos but I feel Foos have kept their shelf life a bit longer

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

We're only fourteen months away from all headliners being officially announced. Get your shit together! :P

Lolololol as mentioned above.

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Call me out but I swear for 2013 stones rumours started pretty early and people already considered the mumfarts a strong possibility to get bumped up. For 2019 it just feels a bit sparse

Surely not at the end of 2011/beginning of 2012? Before Babel had been released and catapulted them to being the biggest band on the planet I doubt many were predicting them to headline Glastonbury. 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

where could a band potentially move to from opening the john peel ? 

Frank Carter didn't open they were midway through the bill, just before The Killers. I don't know though - maybe higher up the bill or across to the Other Stage (albeit lower on the bill?). They've had a stellar year though. 

Frank Carter converted a lot of people that day, me included. I'm actually completely disinterested in his music, but he put on a brilliant show there. When you're at a festival and watching loads of acts one after the other, some big dumb fun like that which really sticks out from the rest of the stuff you've watched is always going to be a winner.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Frank Carter converted a lot of people that day, me included. I'm actually completely disinterested in his music, but he put on a brilliant show there. When you're at a festival and watching loads of acts one after the other, some big dumb fun like that which really sticks out from the rest of the stuff you've watched is always going to be a winner.

This exactly. I'd never heard of him before but that gig was great.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=40786

nothing interesting but disclosure have confirmed Wildlife is taking a break and coming back in 2019. So with a new album I imagine disclosure could be back in 2019. Not sure where they would place on the lineup now though unless it was an other stage headliner repeat 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=40786

nothing interesting but disclosure have confirmed Wildlife is taking a break and coming back in 2019. So with a new album I imagine disclosure could be back in 2019. Not sure where they would place on the lineup now though unless it was an other stage headliner repeat 

Difficult to say how much success they're going to have in the future, but if their next release does decent I could see them as Pyramid subs.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Difficult to say how much success they're going to have in the future, but if their next release does decent I could see them as Pyramid subs.

Disclosure are probably an easy and cheap (ish) booking for Glastonbury, if they can book them and fill a slot on the lineup I can't see why they wouldn't. Would have been 3 years since they last appeared so any position they are booked in could be justified.

Edited by Matt42

Disclosure are probably an easy and cheap (ish) booking for Glastonbury, if they can book them and fill a slot on the lineup I can't see why they wouldn't. Would have been 3 years since they last appeared so any position they are booked in could be justified.

I'm predicting the headliners to be Drake, Arctics and U2. They could be booked to sub any of those in theory but can imagine them working best under Drake.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Aye but they headlined Other on a lacklustre album so maybe they won’t be in a rush to rebook them. Perhaps they’ll give it a year and bring em back 2020.

OTOH Flume still seems to be rising and is poised to leap to that level, I reckon it’s possible. Got Bjork, Jamie xx and the Flumester as my Other headliners but obviously flexible on the last one.