2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

If Madge headlines the other 2 won't matter a jot. 

Perhaps that'd be true when it comes to the initial announcements. She/the fest would be grateful for another big name the following night to take the attention away from her if she turns up and sticks to her usual trick of playing recent shite like Living For Love instead of the classics.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Has a big heritage act ever played the festival and done a heavily new material focused/hits shunning setlist before? Even the biggest acts must realise that they aren't untouchable and could easily lose the crowd if they pull that shit. Madonna without the hits is nothing.

Bruce Springsteen

That's maybe contentious.  He played plenty of his big songs and - a few quibbles aside - at an average Boss gig most attendees would have been happy enough.  But even if he'd played Jungleland instead of Outlaw Pete it demonstrated the gap between playing to your home crowd and to folk that aren't that familiar with your stuff, even the opening track of your best album.

Madonna seems to revel in actively pissing people off.  The one time I saw her people were leaving in droves as she plugged away with MDNA album tracks. I quite enjoyed it and she didn't phone it in in terms of performance or production, but plenty of folk in glittery pink stetsons were livid.

But they should book her anyway. She's fucking Madonna.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

has she?

I've just checked her whole follow list, and there's no madge in there that I can see.

You're right, there's no Madonna

Most surprising inclusions: Joey Barton & Wayne Rooney

Worst omissions: The Thingy & Secret Glasto - How can she possibly know what's really going on!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe it meant on Instagram......Emily tends to be more active on there than on Twitter.

just had a look, and it doesn't appear to be the case that you can see who she's following there - tho that might be because I don't have an account myself.

Does someone here have an account, and could take a look and report back?

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

just had a look, and it doesn't appear to be the case that you can see who she's following there - tho that might be because I don't have an account myself.

Does someone here have an account, and could take a look and report back?

Just checked and she definitely does follow her on Instagram. 

thanks for checking. :)

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

However Madonna went a wee bit viral this week with the Portuguese FedEx or whoever refusing to give her her post cos they didn't believe that she was Madonna, so it was maybe just driven by that....

it could be that - it probably is - or it might be that Emily's on the case of booking her.

I've been meaning to create the 2019 Glasto listing so i'll do that now and add madge as the probably-silly rumour ... after all, I can't put Prince in there any more to piss him off. :P

21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Just actually looked up her setlists and they're even worse than I thought. She hasn't played either 4 Minutes or Ray of Light in a full live show since 2009, and worse still Vogue, Papa Don't Preach, Hung Up and Express Yourself were totally ignored on her last tour :sorry:

Probably because three of those were in the setlist for her previous tour so they came out of the rotation when she was touring Rebel Heart in favour of things like La Isla Bonita and Material Girl.

I'd be surprised if the setlists figure into any decision to pursue Madonna has a headliner.  If you're booking the Pyramid Stage she's got to be near the top of any shortlist that you have on your fridge.

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Has a big heritage act ever played the festival and done a heavily new material focused/hits shunning setlist before? Even the biggest acts must realise that they aren't untouchable and could easily lose the crowd if they pull that shit. Madonna without the hits is nothing.

Shakey back in 2008

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably because three of those were in the setlist for her previous tour so they came out of the rotation when she was touring Rebel Heart in favour of things like La Isla Bonita and Material Girl.

I'd be surprised if the setlists figure into any decision to pursue Madonna has a headliner.  If you're booking the Pyramid Stage she's got to be near the top of any shortlist that you have on your fridge.

Meh dunno, the likely cost of getting her coupled with her iffy track record on singing live mean you'd want a promise of her taking it seriously to make it worth your while I think. If she played a setlist centered around all or at least most of Holiday, Like A Prayer, Music, Borderline, Material Girl, Vogue, Into The Groove, Hung Up, Like A Virgin, Ray of Light, Hanky Panky, 4 Minutes, Express Yourself, Human Nature and What It Feels Like For A Girl.. short of an ABBA reunion, that'd be the greatest two hours ever seen on the Pyramid, even allowing for the inevitable addition of Bitch I'm Madonna or whatever. Please Glastonbury overlords make it happen.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Is she notoriously pricey?  Granted she hasn't done many festivals and I'm sure she costs more than the Arctic Monkeys, but I'd imagine she's easier on the wallet than the big heritage rock acts.

The ideal situation would be to book her when she's not flogging a new album.....but then given how rehearsed, choreographed and machine-tooled her performances are there's probably not much chance of her performing a one off.

But even a night comprised 50% bangers and 50% middling newbies is gonna be better than Catfish on the Other Stage.