2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

18 hours ago, nikkic said:

Maybe I'm biased as DAMN is probably my favourite album this year but will anyone still be listening to the James Arthur album (or most of the albums outselling it) in 2019 though? 

18 hours ago, nikkic said:

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2016__17580/

Pyramid headliners Radiohead were outsold last year by Emile Sande, who played to the Other stage field... seriously, just the field itself, there weren't any people in it.

Use sales figures to decide headliners at ye peril, do you want Rag N Bone Man headlining?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2016__17580/

Pyramid headliners Radiohead were outsold last year by Emile Sande, who played to the Other stage field... seriously, just the field itself, there weren't any people in it.

Use sales figures to decide headliners at ye peril, do you want Rag N Bone Man headlining?

Oh I quite agree with you. I was merely pointing out to ya man that it's not one of the best selling albums of the year, outside the top 20 in fact. 

I'd love Kendrick to headline, but I personally don't think he's that high up the Eavis' wish list. 

26 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Oh I quite agree with you. I was merely pointing out to ya man that it's not one of the best selling albums of the year, outside the top 20 in fact. 

I'd love Kendrick to headline, but I personally don't think he's that high up the Eavis' wish list. 

21 is still a noteworthy success. Arcade Fire didn't even get Reflektor in the top 100 of 2013. True, they had an R&L headline set under their belts, but I think when you add in the context of The Libertines really being the headliners that year, Kendrick is in a very similar position to them when they played. I don't think he's a dead cert by any means, but if the Eavii still have that list up on their fridge, I'd say he'll be in their 10 most wanted.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

21 is still a noteworthy success. Arcade Fire didn't even get Reflektor in the top 100 of 2013. True, they had an R&L headline set under their belts, but I think when you add in the context of The Libertines really being the headliners that year, Kendrick is in a very similar position to them when they played. I don't think he's a dead cert by any means, but if the Eavii still have that list up on their fridge, I'd say he'll be in their 10 most wanted.

Reflektor peaked at number 1 and went gold in the uk.  

4 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Reflektor peaked at number 1 and went gold in the uk.  

Yes boss, I'm not saying it didn't. I was making a point of saying chart positions aren't important.

EDIT: A bit important, yes, but not like very important.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yes boss, I'm not saying it didn't. I was making a point of saying chart positions aren't important.

EDIT: A bit important, yes, but not like very important.

Whilst I agree to a point, I think it only matters with "newer acts". Radiohead can put out a less well received album, but have the clout to headline a festival. Kendrick Lemar hasn't crossed over enough to do that in my opinion... back in the day, headlining glastonbury was a method to "cross over" so to speak. That isnt the case now.

I'd like Kendrick to do it.

If he and Grime keep on getting bigger, Stormzy could be on the list.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst I agree to a point, I think it only matters with "newer acts". Radiohead can put out a less well received album, but have the clout to headline a festival. Kendrick Lemar hasn't crossed over enough to do that in my opinion... back in the day, headlining glastonbury was a method to "cross over" so to speak. That isnt the case now.

I'd like Kendrick to do it.

If he and Grime keep on getting bigger, Stormzy could be on the list.

Yeah, if Radiohead started their career with In Rainbows, they would be a wonderful band well worth seeing, but they're not going to be headlining Glastonbury.

Unfortunately the only time Glastonbury now gives acts the bump up to headliner is when they're already world/chart conquering acts who can't fail (Sheeran, Adele, Mumford & Sons at the time of their booking). Whilst hugely critically acclaimed and the hottest rap act in the world right now, Kendrick being a rap act altogether makes him a risky headliner booking for the festival, so they'll undoubtedly dodge him until he's a certified household name rather than take a 'gamble' on him on his current uprising. As poor as it's lineups often are these days, Reading/Leeds does a much better job at giving acts the debut push to headline (although even they've floundered in that in recent years with this whole 'co-headliner' thing often being implemented). Guess taking risks with headliners is becoming less worth it in the ever growing festival wars.

Lamar isn't headlining pyramid, ever. WH and Other perhaps, but not a chance of pyramid. Stormzy would need to bang out an album a year full of bangers to have a shot at it in 2020/1. Homegrown rap/grime act heading would be cool as Fuck, and a home crowd would know the tunes. Even id go watch, and I normally can't stand that genre. But I did catch the first 3 songs of stormzy at Beni last week and fuck it was good. Then again the first 4 songs Kanye played in 2015 were mind blowing live act but it soon deteriorated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Lamar isn't headlining pyramid, ever. WH and Other perhaps, but not a chance of pyramid. Stormzy would need to bang out an album a year full of bangers to have a shot at it in 2020/1. Homegrown rap/grime act heading would be cool as Fuck, and a home crowd would know the tunes. Even id go watch, and I normally can't stand that genre. But I did catch the first 3 songs of stormzy at Beni last week and fuck it was good. Then again the first 4 songs Kanye played in 2015 were mind blowing live act but it soon deteriorated. 

He's already way too big for WH and probably too big to accept headlining Other.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 24/07/2017 at 8:34 PM, Bonaneas said:

You kinda sound like that guy who was sure The National would never sub the Pyramid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, rzwodezwo said:

You kinda sound like that guy who was sure The National would never sub the Pyramid. 

Haha you're almost correct! I saud they shouldnt sub the pyramid, as I was SURE they wouldn't go down too well, and would have been more suited elsewhere. Not their fault as they are such an amazing band, just put on the wrong stage at the wrong time, as was unfortunately proven.