2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

Emily Eavis just liked a comment that she was tagged in on a video of Kendrick live on Instagram saying "get him involved Emily!!!!" 

kendrick confirmed. 

Quick two year turnaround between TPAB and DAMN so fingers crossed it's the same next time round and he's booked to headline for his next album. Would be a great booking for the festival (alongside, im assuming, two more standard/traditional headliners aka Arctic Monkeys + a biggie).

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Quick two year turnaround between TPAB and DAMN so fingers crossed it's the same next time round and he's booked to headline for his next album. Would be a great booking for the festival (alongside, im assuming, two more standard/traditional headliners aka Arctic Monkeys + a biggie).

DAMN hasn't grabbed me yet. Absolutely love GKMC and TPAB but after a few listens I'm not feeling the new one yet.

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

That's the crucial part, he has to have a follow up to DAMN! out before the next Glasto to have any chance of headlining, the positive thing is he's a workaholic in terms of making music. 

Still think R&L will grab him as a headliner next year and then Glasto won't bother with him in 2019, hope I'm wrong as I'm a massive K.Dot fan so I'd love him to headline Glasto one day 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

DAMN hasn't grabbed me yet. Absolutely love GKMC and TPAB but after a few listens I'm not feeling the new one yet.

The productions a lot more minimal in the fact he's spitting over a lot of clean beats and that's it. I love it but still have songs that haven't grabbed me yet, like FEAR and GOD. It's also his most commercial sounding album IMO.

My breakthrough with the album was actually going old school and reading the lyrics, like you would back in the days of vinyl and cds, there's so much he's trying to say on this album you can sometimes miss the points he's trying to make, but written down in front of you you can really see what a stunning wordsmith he is. The lyrics for XXX are incredible in print 

Is Kendrick big enough to headline? I saw him at Reading, a thought he was ace, but headline? Not a hell of a lot of household/recognisable tunes for the masses. Could be a super strong sub

Booking a rapper to headline the Pyramid can be hit or miss, subbing the Pyramid and you know you're in for a smashing set.

saying that, all could change in the 700 odd days between now and 2019, and I could be wrong about asking that initial question too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Agree with this. Whilst I think he could and probably should, he maybe just doesn't have enough #bangers to put himself in the frame. 

Hope he gets a shot though. 

On the one hand I wish they'd gamble on booking him before he goes super-commercial because I know he'd nail it, on the other hand I cba putting up with months of his booking being scorned at to the point it's almost socially unacceptable to call yourself a fan. But then again, going by the reactions to every recent time a POC has been booked to headline, the latter would probably happen whether he had gallons of hits or not.. idk.

Edited by Zac Quinn

DAMN is one of the biggest selling and critically acclaimed albums of 2017. To Pimp A Butterfly received praise beyond the wildest dreams of any band around today. Kendrick Lamar has won a total of seven Grammy awards, including 2 for best rap song and best rap performance. He has also headlined one of the biggest festivals in the United States. Coachella. 

He's big enough to headline. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

DAMN is one of the biggest selling and critically acclaimed albums of 2017. To Pimp A Butterfly received praise beyond the wildest dreams of any band around today. Kendrick Lamar has won a total of seven Grammy awards, including 2 for best rap song and best rap performance. He has also headlined one of the biggest festivals in the United States. Coachella. 

Remember for a minute how much bigger and more openly embraced hip hop is in the U.S. compared to over here.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Remember for a minute how much bigger and more openly embraced hip hop is in the U.S. compared to over here.

Fair point. I'm not saying it wouldn't come with a risk and the reactions to him headlining, if he is booked would definitely be mixed. He is one of the most critically acclaimed & respected artists to come out this decade and I just think he deserves that leg up. 

1 minute ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Fair point. I'm not saying it wouldn't come with a risk and the reactions to him headlining, if he is booked would definitely be mixed. He is one of the most critically acclaimed & respected artists to come out this decade and I just think he deserves that leg up. 

Definitely, he's immensely talented and acclaimed and his stuff is about what's going on in the world right now which makes it a perfect booking for the time we're in and if any relatively new act should be headlining I'd say it should be him. However I don't think leg ups are that easily available and if he's gonna get there he's still got some way to go.

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2017-so-far__18643/

Currently at number 21. 2 spots behind James Arthur. 

Edited by nikkic