2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have to be honest, I don't see Foals as a headliner. I've seen them a few times and enjoyed them but their sub set last year left me completely cold.

Agreed. I really don't get all the fuss. They write proper bangers like What Went Down and Inhaler, then fill their albums with insipid, wishy washy dross like Mountain at the Gates. Went to see the sub set last year, wanted to give them a chance because is heard they were great live, but I was bored senseless. 

9 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Agreed. I really don't get all the fuss. They write proper bangers like What Went Down and Inhaler, then fill their albums with insipid, wishy washy dross like Mountain at the Gates. Went to see the sub set last year, wanted to give them a chance because is heard they were great live, but I was bored senseless. 

I love Mountain At My Gate :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I'm not sure how well they translate to large open stages. Every seen I've seen them perform well it has been indoors.

34 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Dunno. Maybe I'm bias because I quite like them but don't see why they'd go backwards- new album got number 1, they're bound to announce a bunch of arenas after R&L etc. They've made no secret of wanting to play Wembley & I imagine they'll be eyeing it up for next summer, that'll give em another boost. 

Don't see why they can't still headline if yer Arctic Monkeys & the like can. 

Arctic Monkeys' greaser awakening has seen them bounce back into one of the world's biggest bands. No equivalence there really.

Kasabian mighta bagged a no. 1 but their sales are falling quite sharply and the album, once bought, was pretty polarising among fans - Tom Wells didn't even fucking like it - so I can't see an upswing commercially. And if the response to festivals they're doing this summer is any indicator then I don't think the arena tour will fly out and they can forget Wembley until the next Oasis support leg. There doesn't seem to be enough festivals to go round that won't have better options, and bands that only got big in the UK and haven't achieved any sort of legendary status are always the first ones to go.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not sure how well they translate to large open stages. Every seen I've seen them perform well it has been indoors.

True with me too but their headline sets have scooped plenty of plaudits so maybe that'll work out better for them than flatlining in front of the gathered Muse masses. The televised sets at Glasto and Reading seemed to play really well but I've no idea if it was a stepping stone to world domination or the culmination of years of toil.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

True with me too but their headline sets have scooped plenty of plaudits so maybe that'll work out better for them than flatlining in front of the gathered Muse masses. The televised sets at Glasto and Reading seemed to play really well but I've no idea if it was a stepping stone to world domination or the culmination of years of toil.

True, it would be hard to argue that they haven't worked their way up to headline status and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them doing it. I'd probably be somewhere else though.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Arctic Monkeys' greaser awakening has seen them bounce back into one of the world's biggest bands. No equivalence there really.

Kasabian mighta bagged a no. 1 but their sales are falling quite sharply and the album, once bought, was pretty polarising among fans - Tom Wells didn't even fucking like it - so I can't see an upswing commercially. And if the response to festivals they're doing this summer is any indicator then I don't think the arena tour will fly out and they can forget Wembley until the next Oasis support leg. There doesn't seem to be enough festivals to go round that won't have better options, and bands that only got big in the UK and haven't achieved any sort of legendary status are always the first ones to go.

I dunno, I'm by no means a Kasabian fan at all and find their stuff fairly bland, but I was at the Benicassim set on Sunday and credit where it's due I thought they absolutely nailed it.  Now that might be to do with the demographic of the crowd at Beni driving the response and the atmosphere, but it was a pretty good headline set.

Probably wouldn't rush to see them in 2019 if they did, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of reason.  Depends on whether they churn out another album in the next 18 months.

6 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am just hoping and praying Tina Turner will still be alive and stomping for 2019 , she'd kill the legends slot

There are rumours that she's not that well, and isn't going to get any better any time soon.

I'm not sure if they're kosher or not, but it's probably safe to assume that she won't be tottering around the Pyramid in a mini skirt any time soon.

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

I dunno, I'm by no means a Kasabian fan at all and find their stuff fairly bland, but I was at the Benicassim set on Sunday and credit where it's due I thought they absolutely nailed it.  Now that might be to do with the demographic of the crowd at Beni driving the response and the atmosphere, but it was a pretty good headline set.

Probably wouldn't rush to see them in 2019 if they did, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of reason.  Depends on whether they churn out another album in the next 18 months.

Yeah they've got a strong live rep but they've had that for some time now and you could say that's all they have at this point. And they'll still have that in lesser slots I guess but I don't think they're doing anything to bring new fans in nowadays.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There are rumours that she's not that well, and isn't going to get any better any time soon.

I'm not sure if they're kosher or not, but it's probably safe to assume that she won't be tottering around the Pyramid in a mini skirt any time soon.

That's a shame.

7 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

How many headline performances do Coldplay get before their booking isn't that 'big' anymore.

I mean they're a big band but Coldplay headlining Glasto isn't a special occasion.

Tell that to the gargantuan crowd they never fail to attract. I suspect quite a lot more of the Coldplay crowd in 2016 weren't there in 2011 and before than were.

After posting, I see that Zac said this exact same thing, and I look derivative.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

oh no, she is one person I was hoping to see in that slot

17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Tell that to the gargantuan crowd they never fail to attract. I suspect quite a lot more of the Coldplay crowd in 2016 weren't there in 2011 and before than were.

After posting, I see that Zac said this exact same thing, and I look derivative.

Sorry brederin