2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Can't see past Arcade Fire after they didn't do a secret set after all. It'll have been a good few years since they headlined by then and they're the most consistently brilliant band (both on record and live) out there at the moment (this is subjective of course but also objectively and extremely true).

tl;dr AF FTW

I guess two years gives us a chance to see if the explosion in grime's popularity was a fad, if Stormzy is still going strong with the yoots by then I see no reason why he shouldn't get given the nod. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Foals promoted, perhaps pending another decent album release between now and then. Something in the mould of What Went Down, which is full of powerful riffs to make ya go 'mmmmmm ye' in a big crowd.

35 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Can't see past Arcade Fire after they didn't do a secret set after all. It'll have been a good few years since they headlined by then and they're the most consistently brilliant band (both on record and live) out there at the moment (this is subjective of course but also objectively and extremely true).

tl;dr AF FTW

Arcade Fire ain't gonna be back just one album after their last headline performance, or two years after that albums been released. Gonna be a while until we can consider them a candidate again imo as I don't see them as an immediate 'go-to' act for the festival. 

On 6/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, Matt42 said:

Pulp are a band that (based on nothing) I consider incredibly likely to surprise us and get back into it within the next two years. They've had a good bit of time off and you never know, plus Jarvis has never ruled out their return. 

Jarvis refused ruled out their return and the rest of them unanimously said they could see another tour at the Sheffield Doc Fest premiere of A Film About Life, Death, And Supermarkets.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pyramid:

Arctic Monkeys

Beyonce

Pulp

Other:

Stormzy

Wolf Alice

Prodigy

Wolf Alice headlining Other? I know they're on the up and up, and maybe in 2019 they'll be right up there, but that seems like a push for them and just not really a good fit considering the direction Other has gone in in recent years. Sub seems more reasonable*

although that's me assuming they won't have a third album out by then, which if they did I'd predict them for third or even sub Pyramid over Other headliner.

In no way suggesting them as Pyramid headliners, but where do people think Glass Animals will peak? Seemed to have got a decent crowd by looks of iPlayer footage playing mid-Other (I think?), sell out Academy's, last album got pretty rave reviews and have a pretty serious cult following. Could we see them maybe headlining the Other if album #3 is well received?

Yeah part of me thinks they'll be Pyramid subs by the time they next play. I know that's getting ahead of things a bit, but the new stuff is sounding good, they're doing decent sized venues (I think Manchester sold out?) so on the right track at least. 

'Spose Royal Blood only managed third tho. 

15 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Yeah part of me thinks they'll be Pyramid subs by the time they next play. I know that's getting ahead of things a bit, but the new stuff is sounding good, they're doing decent sized venues (I think Manchester sold out?) so on the right track at least. 

'Spose Royal Blood only managed third tho. 

To be fair, Royal Blood played a week on from their second album being released whereas Wolf Alice would have nearly two years and enough time to play some high slots at other festivals. Ed Sheeran only played third down on, err, the second album and ended the tour selling out Wembley thrice over.

They'll sub one of the two big stages I reckon but I can't imagine them headlining the Other Stage.

Edited by dentalplan

On one had it was suggested the Other headliners were weak this year compared to the past few years, but when I think about it you had acts like the Killers and Katy Perry playing low down slots on other stages, so there was plenty of talent to beef it up they had wanted. To me it looks like they tried to give certain acts the platform to headline rather than just playing lower down the Pyramid, Alt-J being a good example and Emile Sande in the sub role another. The difficulty is the crowds for some of these acts were embarrassingly small, I walked past Alt-J's and it was tiny, watching their highlights back they deliberately avoided showing the crowd even once. Although I like Wolf Alice putting them as Other headliners would probably have a similar result, so it will be interesting to see if they stick with this strategy again in 2019, or do back to the bigger acts headlining again.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Wolf Alice headlining Other? I know they're on the up and up, and maybe in 2019 they'll be right up there, but that seems like a push for them and just not really a good fit considering the direction Other has gone in in recent years. Sub seems more reasonable*

although that's me assuming they won't have a third album out by then, which if they did I'd predict them for third or even sub Pyramid over Other headliner.

The Royal Blood slot, if you will. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

To be fair, Royal Blood played a week on from their second album being released whereas Wolf Alice would have nearly two years and enough time to play some high slots at other festivals. Ed Sheeran only played third down on, err, the second album and ended the tour selling out Wembley thrice over.

They'll sub one of the two big stages I reckon but I can't imagine them headlining the Other Stage.

Yeah fair. I was thinking Royal Blood had been playing arenas as well, which they've obviously just announced. 

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Jarvis refused ruled out their return and the rest of them unanimously said they could see another tour at the Sheffield Doc Fest premiere of A Film About Life, Death, And Supermarkets.

There is no bad blood in the band - I honestly think they are incredibly likely to reform randomly, even record an album in secret

It will happen!

Is there a chance that Pulp would play and not headline? 

Last time they reformed they subbed the Foos at IoW (incidentally they were the only two reasons I went to that festival, in total I saw a grand sum of 6 acts and it was probably the booziest weekend of my life). Did they do any other headline slots? Would a future comeback be bigger news than the previous one? 

I know IoW sub may well pay as well as Glasto headliner, and the band have a history with the festival but I'm not sure if that would make them more or less likely to take a sub slot. It'd definitely be a huge event for the 50th anniversary festival - akin to Elbow Subbing the Park on this year their 10th Birthday?

7 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Last time they reformed they subbed the Foos at IoW (incidentally they were the only two reasons I went to that festival, in total I saw a grand sum of 6 acts and it was probably the booziest weekend of my life). Did they do any other headline slots? Would a future comeback be bigger news than the previous one? 

I know IoW sub may well pay as well as Glasto headliner, and the band have a history with the festival but I'm not sure if that would make them more or less likely to take a sub slot. It'd definitely be a huge event for the 50th anniversary festival - akin to Elbow Subbing the Park on this year their 10th Birthday?

They headlined a day at Hyde Park last time they came back and it has been a good few years since they last performed. The nostalgia factor alone would be enough, plus Jarvis is a friend of the festival.

For my money if they come back in 19 they'll headline, if it's 20 they'll sub someone huge.

33 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Pulp to sub a Reni-less Stone Roses on the Friday night. A fortnight before, John Squire is sent on a mountain bike holiday to a very wet Snowdonia.

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

For my money if they come back in 19 they'll headline, if it's 20 they'll sub someone huge.

That makes sense to me.

For what it's worth I think the 50th thing will have little to no impact on 2019 bookings. 2019 will just be any other year, I think they will try and get the best bookings they are available to them at the time (i.e. anyone who is touring or doing the festival circuit). If they are outwardly trying to get extraordinary bookings (see Led Zep, Floyd, Oasis etc) then they might ask about 2020 first. but I doubt that they would turn down the 2019 opportunity. I'm not sure how far in advance big bands normally organise these sorts of things but if they are trying to make bookings now I'd imagine it will be a lot easier to do so for 23 months time than 35 months.