2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Realised surprised at not a single Tame Impala shout.

They're gaining in popularity and quickly.

Nailed the sub slot too.

will probably headline R&L 2019/2020 and rule them out

they won't headline glasto before R&L

• Downvote 2

17 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I'm starting to warm to the idea that Drake will be asked to headline, but I feel like he will want more money than Glasto will give

Also a Drake headline announcement/set would get an awful reaction here lol

Doesn't seem to matter how many albums he puts out, he just can't seem to write massive hooks. 22 tracks on this latest album/mixtape thing and - at a push - two of them manage to be remotely memorable. I desperately want him to do something to justify the hype but he just ... doesn't 

For no real reason for them ever being asked to play I'd like to see:

Dr Dre

Justin Timberlake

Daft Punk

Foals

Surely they would only be asked as headliners.

edit: & Calvin Harris but he'd be much better on Other stage

Edited by Bisque

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If, as seems to be the case, Hotline Bling is his biggest tune then I think he'd struggle to work up much of a frenzy in a field that often needs a wee bit of warming up.

It's definitely not all like that. His setlists seem to be frontloaded with older, more vibrant tracks then it sorta settles down. A bit like Kanye's, although the start won't be as full of heavy hitters as Yeezy but the middle section where it all goes downbeat contains some of Aubrey's biggest tracks.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If, as seems to be the case, Hotline Bling is his biggest tune then I think he'd struggle to work up much of a frenzy in a field that often needs a wee bit of warming up.

By the time 2019 comes around it's far from inconceivable that he'll have another two or three full length releases under his belt and will probably continue to be the most streamed artist of all time.

Hotline Bling itself was a non-album loosie.

I think there's a perception that every track is a late night drunk dial croon but whilst that is a decent portion of his canon, it's always ran alongside the Started From The Bottom type bangers that have kept him firmly at the top of the rap tree for the past half a decade or so. Lately he's had a line in dancehall/afrobeat jams like Controlla and One Dance with some success - Passionfruit and Get It Together are surely destined to continue in that being.

It won't be a home crowd but he'd pull it off. There were a lot of people in my bit at least singing along to Heartless in 2015 which in my head is one of the more obscure Kanye hits so I can't imagine a track like Crew Love failing to hit the mark, especially if The Weeknd is up there with him.

I can't see him 'not getting' Glasto given how dialled in he is to the UK scene. Not just grime but having worked with James Blake, Jamie xx and Sampha..given he's 'signed' to BBK he might even pop up this year. Please.

49 minutes ago, Nduja said:

By the time 2019 comes around it's far from inconceivable that he'll have another two or three full length releases under his belt and will probably continue to be the most streamed artist of all time.

Hotline Bling itself was a non-album loosie.

I think there's a perception that every track is a late night drunk dial croon but whilst that is a decent portion of his canon, it's always ran alongside the Started From The Bottom type bangers that have kept him firmly at the top of the rap tree for the past half a decade or so. Lately he's had a line in dancehall/afrobeat jams like Controlla and One Dance with some success - Passionfruit and Get It Together are surely destined to continue in that being.

It won't be a home crowd but he'd pull it off. There were a lot of people in my bit at least singing along to Heartless in 2015 which in my head is one of the more obscure Kanye hits so I can't imagine a track like Crew Love failing to hit the mark, especially if The Weeknd is up there with him.

I can't see him 'not getting' Glasto given how dialled in he is to the UK scene. Not just grime but having worked with James Blake, Jamie xx and Sampha..given he's 'signed' to BBK he might even pop up this year. Please.

I was singing along to Heartless in the Pit and I didn't even know I knew it :lol: Kanye, particularly pre-Yeezus Kanye, has much much more mainstream cuthrough than Drake. The hook of Jesus Walks is more recognisable than all of Drake's output put together and that's probably not in the top five best known Ye songs. 

I want it to happen and I want it to work but I just don't think his output is suited to it. Even the few tracks that have gained traction outside his (admittedly sizeable) bubble, like Started From The Bottom, are hardly what you'd call anthems. The first half of Crew Love might pique interest but he'd quickly lose the crowd once his bit starts. Hold On We're Going Home and Take Care would work, especially if he brought out someone to do the Majid Jordan and Rihanna bits live, but that's about it.

Having said all that, two years is a long old time for him to try and turn things around. Hell, in theory Radio 2 and Capital FM could pick up on Get It Together next week and he'd be on his way. You never know.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Nduja said:

I never actually thought of it like that

I can definitely imagine emily at least giving him a call

Just now, dentalplan said:

That can only mean one thing.

walked right into that one didn't I?

Yeah regardless if he says yes or no... I definitely reckon he will be asked

I can see his management going for it, since they know that Drake's big thing is how much he is hyped... but then also I can see his management declining it due to costs - so really it could go either one or two ways.

Drake is an odd one because we know that acts like Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Guns and Roses, Taylor Swift would either never be asked... or decline the offer... yet with Drake it's less easy to guess (at least how I see it).

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

we know that acts like Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift would either never be asked... or decline the offer...

:(

I reckon my man JT could headline some day, a 'wow in hindsight that booking was so obvious and yet I never particularly expected it' booking, bit like Kanye. He has the tunes and the showmanship for it. But yeah won't get my hopes up.

Edited by Zac Quinn

22 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

:(

I reckon my man JT could headline some day, a 'wow in hindsight that booking was so obvious and yet I never particularly expected it' booking, bit like Kanye. He has the tunes and the showmanship for it. But yeah won't get my hopes up.

The only time I could ever see him headlining was when he came back and smashed it with 20/20 experience

But it seems like that was one big explosion for him before fading away again

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The only time I could ever see him headlining was when he came back and smashed it with 20/20 experience

But it seems like that was one big explosion for him before fading away again

Dunno, according to Wikipedia Can't Stop The Feeling was his biggest selling song ever. I think it'd be more about whether he could be bothered and would be asked than whether he'd nail it and go down a storm, same as with T-Swizz. He does at least have a recent history of headlining UK festies, which is more than can be said for her.

• 4 weeks later...

Kendrick Lamar
Fleetwood Mac
Arctic Monkeys

Kendrick is now my #1 after Damn. I imagine this is only going be further enhanced watching coachella.

not too sure about Fleetwood Mac but hey... they've got two years to convince them

Also I hope they give the headline slot to Kendrick before Drake

Edited by Matt42

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kendrick Lamar
Fleetwood Mac
Arctic Monkeys

Kendrick is now my #1 after Damn. I imagine this is only going be further enhanced watching coachella.

not too sure about Fleetwood Mac but hey... they've got two years to convince them

I'm not sold on Damn yet, but do think he'll be asked to Headline.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Reading went for him.

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kendrick Lamar
Fleetwood Mac
Arctic Monkeys

That's two more years the Mac members need to stay alive, they're no spring chickens