2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

He once in a while does shit features, the vast majority are at least decent and a good number are brilliant. Then there's that one, which eclipses everything else.

That Maroon 5 one was horrible. I love both acts but "Do he do you like this, do he woo you like this, do he lay it down for you, touch your poona like this" bloody hell.

17 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Really? I thought he was a huge name for the festival to get considering he doesn't exactly headline overhere a lot

Yeah to my mind he's the biggest and most interesting old-timer the fest has ever booked, apart from Macca and the Stones. Confused.

Edited by Zac Quinn

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just that I recall a bit of discussion as to whether he was big enough of a name to do it.  I don't think anyone was doubting his worthiness from a talent / back catalogue POV.

Oh right, I see. Still, seems weird to me anyone could think him not big enough, and the crowd size he got on the day backs that up.

13 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Don't think Biffy will be big enough to headline in 2019. They haven't really got into that permanent headliner status like the likes of Muse, Arctic Monkeys etc, I'd say they're on the decline after the last album though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Solidly agreed. Still in the mix - but plenty ahead in the queue, me thinks.

18 hours ago, Woffy said:

So it won't be Blur, The Stones or Coldplay then?

Why not? Blur haven't done it since 2009.

18 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Jesus. If radioactive is their best song I don't wanna hear the rest. 

It's not, they have much better imo, that one got really boring.

10 hours ago, Time Being said:

Lady Gaga

Kate Bush

Lorde

If Gaga isn't there this year then I could see it. That's a reason why I think she may be taking sub this year as I'd presume she'll tour this year/next and by 19 she'll disappear for a bit again.

22 hours ago, Woffy said:

Jesus Christ (Reach out and touch faith or whatever). Did anyone watch / listen to that Depeche Mode live feed tonight? I had a go. 

Sounded like someone hitting a donkey with a wet Royal Wedding (Charles & Di) tea towel whilst wearing a full one man band kit for the first time. Whilst pissed. Fuckaduck. Headliners? 

Sorry @eastynhI tried. X

All you can do is try mate.

On 18/03/2017 at 2:53 PM, thewayiam said:

Why not? Blur haven't done it since 2009.

It's not, they have much better imo, that one got really boring.

If Gaga isn't there this year then I could see it. That's a reason why I think she may be taking sub this year as I'd presume she'll tour this year/next and by 19 she'll disappear for a bit again.

If she isn't headlining this year she won't suddenly be in 2019. Will be nearly a decade since her commercial peak by then. The SuperBowl doesn't seem to have given her the boost it needed to, so I'd expect this album campaign to be her last big hurrah as a top name - headlining Coachella and nailing a big Glastonbury slot - and then after that she'll resign herself to accepting relative obscurity for the rest of time.

Edited by Zac Quinn

37 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

If she isn't headlining this year she won't suddenly be in 2019. Will be nearly a decade since her commercial peak by then. The SuperBowl doesn't seem to have given her the boost it needed to, so I'd expect this album campaign to be her last big hurrah as a top name - headlining Coachella and nailing a big Glastonbury slot - and then after that she'll resign herself to accepting relative obscurity for the rest of time.

True, it's a shame as her SuperBowl show was better than anything previous recently by a long way.

So are we still expecting her? I'm so confused by it. It seems so unlikely but she seems to so obviously be playing. Earlier I sacked her off and moved Kaisers up to sub to fit in the newly likely-looking Sande 3rd down.

Edit: Although Sande and Ezra appear to be 4th down at V and I've got em 3rd down here so potentially need to bin em off.

Actually I've got Sande subbing Other, ignore me. Moved Royal Blood to 3rd Pyramid and shoved her there. She can stay and Ezra can piss off. Gaga back in.

Not that I expect anyone to care about any of this I dunno why I keep rambling about this stuff.

Edited by Will-2609

Just now, Will-2609 said:

So are we still expecting her? I'm so confused by it. It seems so unlikely but she seems to so obviously be playing. Earlier I sacked her off and moved Kaisers up to sub to fit in the newly likely-looking Sande 3rd down.

Yeah it's hard to say really - she's definitely given hints in the past so if she isn't playing then what the fuck was she talking about? I'm still cautiously expecting her to be on the lineup and would be pretty gutted if she wasn't (especially if it is fucking Kaiser Chiefs in her place, although I'm really not expecting that).

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Edit: Although Sande and Ezra appear to be 4th down at V and I've got em 3rd down here so potentially need to bin em off.

Actually I've got Sande subbing Other, ignore me. Moved Royal Blood to 3rd Pyramid and shoved her there. She can stay and Ezra can piss off. Gaga back in.

Not that I expect anyone to care about any of this I dunno why I keep rambling about this stuff.

Emeli Sande was pointedly not booked in 2013 when she was a lot more popular and there was a lot less competition for places at the top of the bill, if any of Gaga/Ezra/Royal Blood/Sande are going to be absent from the fest this year I'd have her down as the most likely tbh. Probs not gonna be able to afford a Glastonbury ticket this year but I've got Gaga tour tickets so I wouldn't mind missing her at Glastonbury too much, and it'd be the most ridiculous 70 minutes of TV all year if she did it, so I really hope she does.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Going back to talk about the 50th anniv in 2020; if they really want a band that will please The Lawn, it's AC/DC. They'd obviously be a suitably massive deal as well.

What's the deal with AC/DC now? Is Brian Jones gonna rejoin them? Isn't it just Angus Young left out of those who mattered?

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Is Brian Jones gonna rejoin them?

Erm... oh my, this is awkward... I don't think Brian Jones will be rejoining them, Floorf, no. Firstly because he was never in AC/DC, and second because he's been dead for over 40 years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Erm... oh my, this is awkward... I don't think Brian Jones will be rejoining them, Floorf, no. Firstly because he was never in AC/DC, and second because he's been dead for over 40 years.

HAHAHA what a dickhead I am. Ruined.

But you know what I mean... the other Brian... the one who was with them.. who isn't dead.

Edited by FloorFiller

12 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Emeli Sande was pointedly not booked in 2013 when she was a lot more popular and there was a lot less competition for places at the top of the bill, if any of Gaga/Ezra/Royal Blood/Sande are going to be absent from the fest this year I'd have her down as the most likely tbh. Probs not gonna be able to afford a Glastonbury ticket this year but I've got Gaga tour tickets so I wouldn't mind missing her at Glastonbury too much, and it'd be the most ridiculous 70 minutes of TV all year if she did it, so I really hope she does.

Ah really? I was thinking Ezra probably the least likely with him having a decent spot so recently and not yet having any material released.

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Ah really? I was thinking Ezra probably the least likely with him having a decent spot so recently and not yet having any material released.

Actually yeah that's a fair point and all. Not even any sign of new Ezra material being imminent, apart from him being announced for all the usuals and that vague interview he did in February which claimed "recording was at the midway point". Quite plausible he could sit this one out and then drag his next touring cycle on for long enough to still be on the road in June 2019. Same sort of thing with Royal Blood, you'd expect the promo wheels to be properly whirring into motion by now if the second record was going to be out by June, and if it's coming later in the year they may as well just wait until 2019. Whereas Sande/Gaga certainly won't still be touring their current albums in two years time, so are a more pressing concern, if you will.

Edited by Zac Quinn

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It would be the greatest comeback since Jesus returned from the dead. In fact it would have to be considered the greatest, seeing as Brian was not the son of the almighty.

18 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Actually yeah that's a fair point and all. Not even any sign of new Ezra material being imminent, apart from him being announced for all the usuals and that vague interview he did in February which claimed "recording was at the midway point". Quite plausible he could sit this one out and then drag his next touring cycle on for long enough to still be on the road in June 2019. Same sort of thing with Royal Blood, you'd expect the promo wheels to be properly whirring into motion by now if the second record was going to be out by June, and if it's coming later in the year they may as well just wait until 2019. Whereas Sande/Gaga certainly won't still be touring their current albums in two years time, so are a more pressing concern, if you will.

Yeah usually I'd have said he's more likely to play next year but obviously there'll be no Glasto next year. Doesn't even look like he's commanding much bigger slots than in 2015 so there's not much point really. I guess he'll be playing the odd few new songs at festivals this year, releasing an album later in the year and then being back on the festival circuit next year.

Saying that, acts in his position being booked is probably what I expect Emily meant by fitting 2 years' worth of music into one year, rather than expecting twice as many big acts as others seem to be doing. But if it would have to be at the expense of someone actually bringing new material then it's pointless.

Edit: I still can seem him being there though. Defo one of those acts you can just see yourself looking through the lineup and thinking "Oh piss off why". Same as Kaisers and Imagine Dragons will be.

Edited by Will-2609