Max Richter's Sleep (late night classical music)

pjadnoo

I love the fact that there's so much still to do at Glastonbury even after the main stages cool down. With the festival happy to have a really diverse set of music types on show, I wonder if there's a chance of Max Richter popping on the bill this year, perhaps to do his 8-hour overnight Sleep concert.

I'm not sure logistically how they could do that, both in terms of sound leakage from elsewhere, and in terms of people coming and going, but imo it would be a great relaxing alternative, especially after a night or two partying.

He's doing concerts in the uk around Glastonbury, including a performance of Sleep in London, so fingers crossed.

Edited by pjadnoo

I love his new "piece", I heard excerpts on R6 and bought it "Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works" it apparently accompanies a ballet! It is an astonishingly beautiful melancholic work including the reading of Virginia Woolf's suicide note. I would love to see him perform something either early on the Pyramid Stage or perhaps on The Park.

19 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

...or perhaps on The Park.

Maybe he could do the Philip Glass slot from last year? Haven't listened to Woolf Works yet, been waiting for the record, now just waiting for an opportunity to go and get it!

Still don't think he'll appear. Glastonbury doesn't seem to put on the contemporary classical side of things. Maybe Lubomyr Melnyk is more likely? I'd say someone like Nils Frahm is most likely normally but he's not playing this year.

31 minutes ago, willsnewman said:

Maybe he could do the Philip Glass slot from last year? Haven't listened to Woolf Works yet, been waiting for the record, now just waiting for an opportunity to go and get it!

Still don't think he'll appear. Glastonbury doesn't seem to put on the contemporary classical side of things. Maybe Lubomyr Melnyk is more likely? I'd say someone like Nils Frahm is most likely normally but he's not playing this year.

Lubomyr Melnyk is playing Latitude, a diamond in a first announcement line up otherwise a bit rough. Am taking Child 3 there for his first festival, and he likes LM. Listening to the new William Basinksi as I type. He'd be fab on the Farm too, but never gonna happen!!

Ben

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Lubomyr Melnyk is playing Latitude, a diamond in a first announcement line up otherwise a bit rough. Am taking Child 3 there for his first festival, and he likes LM. Listening to the new William Basinksi as I type. He'd be fab on the Farm too, but never gonna happen!!

Ben

Going to see William Basinski the same week as seeing/sleeping to Max! Going to be a chilled couple of days in London town.

Agreed on the Latitude line up, but there are indeed a few good uns in there to enjoy.

On 15/03/2017 at 8:11 PM, Rumblestripe said:

I love his new "piece", I heard excerpts on R6 and bought it "Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works" it apparently accompanies a ballet! It is an astonishingly beautiful melancholic work including the reading of Virginia Woolf's suicide note. I would love to see him perform something either early on the Pyramid Stage or perhaps on The Park.

Yeh. The ballet was on at the Royal Opera House earlier this year. I'm not really a ballet guy, but it was lovely. They filmed it for a DVD which is apparently coming out next year, so you'll be able to see it.

11 hours ago, willsnewman said:

Nils Frahm seems like he would be a perfect for The Park but unfortunately, as you say, he's not touring at the moment. Missed out on Lubomyr Melnyk at the Barbican last year, so would definitely see him if he's at Glasto.

I think Johann Johannson is touring at the moment so would be cool to see him too.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

Just went to Max Richter's 8 hour overnight Sleep concert last night.  It's definitely not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but imo it was a really great experience, and would make a perfect addition to Glastonbury.

Was also there. Truly special experience, I am still smiling and feeling wonderfully relaxed. Don't think it would suit glastonbury personally, it is a very initimate event that I don't think would work that well there. Especially as it pretty much requires utter silence from the surroundings.

25 minutes ago, willsnewman said:

Was also there. Truly special experience, I am still smiling and feeling wonderfully relaxed. Don't think it would suit glastonbury personally, it is a very initimate event that I don't think would work that well there. Especially as it pretty much requires utter silence from the surroundings.

I definitely agree that the silence, lights, comfort, etc. all contributed to making yesterday awesome, but I feel that it could still work in the right tent at a festival.

It'd be different, less 'spiritual' I suppose (although that's not quite the word I'm looking for), but if the ballet and cinema can work at Glasto, then I reckon this could too.

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Excellent tip, Sir! I've been scratching around the Latitude line up - like a lot of regulars, I suspect - for something of substance in this year's thin gruel. This will do nicely, thank you

My pleasure, sparky. 

Happy to share my early Lat research if you would like - Child 3 and I have a few gems unearthed. 

Ben