Jump to content
jenjensponge

beautiful days newbie

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

Just ordered my tickets and have that lovely glow inside knowing we have a festival booked!

Just wondered if any beautiful veterans have any tips or advice? Such as what is the deal with Thursday night, what's security like, where not to camp blah blah blah!

Thanks guys and see you in August! !!!!

Jen x

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went only once in 2014 so wouldn't say was a veteran.  We went as a family so were camped in family camping- Redwoods camping on the map below (it's an old map but wouldn't have thought it had changed much).  Arena camping is more of the lively/party campsite and where the younger festival goers tend to camp.

Thursday we just had a wander around a found our bearings etc.

Overall we enjoyed the festival- in particular the kids area and some of the food stalls and saw some great bands.  Few things to note though:

  • It took us ages to get on site from pulling off the main road we were over 2 hours in a queue.  This may have been partly due to it being a muddy year.
  • We struck a bit unlucky with our camping neighbours as they weren't very sociable at all and had "grabbed" a lot of land for people coming later and seemed peeved when we asked them to move a windbreak a few inches so we could get our tent in (as space was at a premium)
  • Security was visible but not too in your face as such but perimeter security in my opinion was a bit lacking and there was a lot of tent thefts on the Thursday night.  Unfortunately there are not lock ups on site like there is at Glastonbury etc.  There is a cash machine though if you didn't want to carry a load of cash

Finally there is a good Facebook group called Beautiful Days Chat worth looking atNk0YdFQ.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - been going for the last 7 years, arriving Thursday is good and redwoods field probably the best for camping. Security is pretty laid back and atmosphere very friendly. Bars are fab. Come and say hello in the hope tavern, I'll be the old bloke behind the bar looking like he's having fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been several times my top tip is do NOT follow the official signs to get to the festival.

This sounds odd i know but having made this mistake once I will never make it again. The official signs take you through villages close to the site presumably to stop people queuing down the A30 (which i understand)

Unfortunately at the junction near site where the A30 traffic joins the traffic following the signs the A30 traffic has priority

Set your satnav to go to  EX14 3AZ Higher Gosford farm.

I usually go down Thursday aiming to get there at 14:00 ( when the gates open) the year i followed the signs added 2hrs worth of queues to my journey compared to other years. Coming off the A30 that way you pretty much just drive straight in.

The stalls / food places / Bars are all open Thursday. If you have a large tent and want one of the better / closer camping pitches in the Redwioods camping area I would get there Thursday afternoon. That said the site is not massive so its not much further to walk if you end up on the outskirts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2017 at 1:52 PM, Markmod said:

Hi - been going for the last 7 years, arriving Thursday is good and redwoods field probably the best for camping. Security is pretty laid back and atmosphere very friendly. Bars are fab. Come and say hello in the hope tavern, I'll be the old bloke behind the bar looking like he's having fun!

and I'll be the old bloke THIS side of the bar looking like he's having fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, the beadle said:

and I'll be the old bloke THIS side of the bar looking like he's having fun!

I'll be another old bloke THIS side of the bar.

First-timer also and ticket has arrived :)

Any idea when the line-up times come out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone able to give a bit of advice about how crowded the camping fields get - old hand from Glastonbury and numerous other festivals, but first time at Beautiful Days this year. Due to work, we can't arrive until Friday morning. Only pitching one tent, but normally bring our larger one as it is standing height and has a porch so the comfort in much greater than our little 2 man backpacker but wonder whether space will be at a premium. Not fussed around location - distance from the car isn't an issue and not fussed about being close in (we camp in Baileys at Glastonbury!) but don't want to get there and find we can't find a space!!

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dave The Owl said:

Anyone able to give a bit of advice about how crowded the camping fields get - old hand from Glastonbury and numerous other festivals, but first time at Beautiful Days this year. Due to work, we can't arrive until Friday morning. Only pitching one tent, but normally bring our larger one as it is standing height and has a porch so the comfort in much greater than our little 2 man backpacker but wonder whether space will be at a premium. Not fussed around location - distance from the car isn't an issue and not fussed about being close in (we camp in Baileys at Glastonbury!) but don't want to get there and find we can't find a space!!

Cheers

You'll have no issues at all getting 1 or 2 tents in pretty much anywhere on Friday. It doesn't get too rammed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×