Which was worse - 2007 or 2016  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse - 2007 or 2016

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I agree with your conclusion, but not your recollection. 2007's showers were heavy. I remember cowering under an umbrella at the back of the Other field while trying to watch The Coral. I still got drenched, despite wearing all manner of water resistant clothing.

I have to admit my 2016 experience was improved greatly by being in JPT or both the daytime showers and having just entered my tent for the night time/early morning downpour.

Likewise I spent most of 2007 in the cabaret tent so I remember not wanting to leave because it was always raining but wouldn't have been aware of changes in the level of rain...

Either way, we're due a "dry" one. I'd rip your hand off for 2013's weather. Dry and sunny intervals on Wednesday up until mid-afternoon Thursday, then we had about 24 hours of rain, some heavy, then once that cleared it was unbroken sunshine and warmth all the way. 

I wasn't there in 2007 but friends who have been have told me that 2007 was the wettest but maintain that 1998 was muddier than 2016

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Likewise I spent most of 2007 in the cabaret tent so I remember not wanting to leave because it was always raining but wouldn't have been aware of changes in the level of rain...

The cabaret tent was the only place on site I encountered that really, really thick mud that sucked your wellies off. In think we intended to see Jeremy Hardy, but missed him because the going was so much slower there. Urgh.

17 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

Either way, we're due a "dry" one. I'd rip your hand off for 2013's weather. Dry and sunny intervals on Wednesday up until mid-afternoon Thursday, then we had about 24 hours of rain, some heavy, then once that cleared it was unbroken sunshine and warmth all the way. 

I wasn't there in 2007 but friends who have been have told me that 2007 was the wettest but maintain that 1998 was muddier than 2016

98 is certainly the wettest under foot I've been to, but 96/16 were harder going due to the viscosity.

I don't recall 2007 being that bad, 2016 however is the first time i've ever had to be towed in (and out) from the camper van field, so that would get my vote.

however, 2005 was INTENSE. went to bed thurs evening after a lovely day drinking in the sun by the 'playstation bar' by the other stage, got woken up at about 4am by biblical rain that just didn't stop. Got dressed up in my all weather gear and went onto site (was in E camping) and man was it wet. I have to leave via gate B on the way back as gate C had been closed due to the water being about 4 -5 feet deep.

xIMG_1641.JPG

xIMG_1642.JPG

xIMG_1644.JPG

xIMG_1645.JPG

xIMG_1646-closed.JPG

3 hours ago, Eks101 said:

My memory might be playing tricks on me but wasn't there persistent drizzle most of Sunday last year?  The conditions underfoot made it by far the worst for me as I spend most of my time away from the main stages and getting about was exhausting.

2015 was the best weather for a while.

Sunday was miserable by the time Earth, Wind and Fire, I had lost my boot in West Holts bar before and was thoroughly miserable. Relied on NYC Downlow to dry me in the Evenings!

Last year was unrelenting, just when you thought that it has been dry enough for the mud to start baking itself dry like many other wet years it pissed down again - far worse than any other year I have experienced (2005 - 2016)

Going through this thread has made me remember how bad 2005 was, I can't quite believe I was naive enough not to take wellies..!

I'm another in the 2007 being far worse camp.

Last year was bloody hard work, and by the time we collapsed in our tents, removing out boots highlighted the pain, but in 2007 I felt defeated by the end of the festival.  Not being able to get dry at all, always feeling cold and damp.  A few people I know got quite ill after 2007, one of the ladies got a really bad chest infection, and hasn't returned since.  I'm pretty sure 2007 was the year I got trench foot as well!  Couldn't feel my big toes for a couple of months.

As for 2005, I remember sitting in glorious sunshine on baked hard ground watching Van Morrison be a stroppy git on the Pyramid stage on the Sunday

Just now, Greenelk said:

I'm another in the 2007 being far worse camp.

Last year was bloody hard work, and by the time we collapsed in our tents, removing out boots highlighted the pain, but in 2007 I felt defeated by the end of the festival.  Not being able to get dry at all, always feeling cold and damp.  A few people I know got quite ill after 2007, one of the ladies got a really bad chest infection, and hasn't returned since.  I'm pretty sure 2007 was the year I got trench foot as well!  Couldn't feel my big toes for a couple of months.

As for 2005, I remember sitting in glorious sunshine on baked hard ground watching Van Morrison be a stroppy git on the Pyramid stage on the Sunday

I'd also say that 2007 was worse than last year, I also came back with chest infection, doc asked what I'd been doing to be in such a state, I didn't tell him that I woken up in a pool of water on the Sunday morning, everything soaked with a river running under the tent.

I am also ten years older of course and 2007 was camped in Dragon's and last year was in the camper van fields which obviously affects the psyche.  Walking past the Other Stage on the Saturday night of 2007 I just wanted to give up and go home, t'other half dragged me through the mud to keep me moving, if he hadn't I think I may just have sat down and cried.

Nowadays I can't be arsed with putting myself through that much struggle.  Last year I left Earth Wind and Fire to get warm and dry back at the van, on the way home we walked past a caravan that had a huuuuge TV, they were watching it on telly, sensible? :lol:

2007 was the worst because I wasn't there and frankly any year I don't get to attend I'd rather be there no matter what the weather.  This year everyone seemed determined to ignore the inconvenience of a bit of water above and mud below and just got on and had a good time regardless, I'd like to think the same spirit would have existed in previous muddy years but I suspect that 2016 was just a particularly good year for attendees.

32 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

2007: Rain constantly plipping into my can of cider, fighting to get water out of my lighter to light a cig, only for cig to sputter out due to continued rain.  Nowhere to sit.  Misery.

2016: Could drink and smoke at will and there are way more benches and perches around.

Weather that prevents me from rolling up is bad weather.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Weather that prevents me from rolling up is bad weather.

Amateur. Small backpack with two zips that meet in the middle / top worn inside / underneath waterproof coat. Lean over backpack opening with hood of waterproof up to prevent ingress of rain into rolling area. Smoking materials packed towards top of backpack contents. Packet of babywipes at the very top, bottom upwards with a concave indentation created running along the length of the packet. Roll with paper(s) sat in indentation. Repack smoking materials. Zip up backpack ensuring both zips zipped to side rather than together at the top. Enjoy. Just as indie landfill Other Opener strikes up. You know the rest. 

3 hours ago, nodolphie said:

When the 2016 mud was nice and wet so it didn't make everything sticky.  

Looking at this Vid reminds me that anywhere there is a path that's made of hardcore is fine, I'm guessing there are a lot more now than there were in 2007? Also I think somebody once said that any land ME owns has hardcore paths and anything with metal tracks he probably doesn't?

Anyway, however bad the mud/rain was it was fine walking in those particular paths but anywhere else was horrendous.