Battles of the bogs

stuartbert two hats

Which was worse - 2007 or 2016  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which was worse - 2007 or 2016

3 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

But not worse?

2005 was a strange one, Wedensday and Thursday were glorious (my mate's face got really badly sunburnt after passing out in the stone circle all day Thursday, he looked like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly). Then we had a month's worth of rainfall overnight on Thursday which flooded Pennards and the Other, then it was fine again for the rest of the weekend. Put some wellies on and you were fine.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Where does this idea that 2007 didnt have sticky massive mud?

same as every year - the mud is at its worst when drying out, rather than when it's wet.

Normally the drying out thing takes 24 hours or so, then the heavy mud is over - but the ground was so saturated last year that it wasn't drying out.

The festivals where the ground is fucked before the festival starts are by-far the worst ones. Some heavy rain onto the fest isn't actually that bad for the ground if the ground is dry to start with.

24 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

But not worse?

Only for the people in the flood plain/rivers.  For the rest of us, it was a short period of intense rain when we were mainly tucked up in our tents.  And then some reasonable mud, but it was very easy under foot by the Sunday and almost sittable on the Monday morning.  Plus, it was nice and sunny a lot of the time.

2005 was spectacular, but not one of the worst, by a long shot.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

2005 was a strange one, Wedensday and Thursday were glorious (my mate's face got really badly sunburnt after passing out in the stone circle all day Thursday, he looked like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly). Then we had a month's worth of rainfall overnight on Thursday which flooded Pennards and the Other, then it was fine again for the rest of the weekend. Put some wellies on and you were fine.

2005 was a little damp:

P1010101.JPG

P1010127.JPG

2007 was hands down worse for rain than 16 but I loved it and been back every year since. 2016 I didn't walk around the site so much but I was 10 years older!

Edited by whisty

31 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Where does this idea that 2007 didnt have sticky massive mud? it really did, well at least it did where I was most of the time. I clearly remember being on the gate where the press/hospitality then came in and one of the Geldof girls happily skipping in with her friends (all of which had trainers on and were using wheeled suitcases) and their look of horror when they came round the corner and saw the sea of massive dense sticky mud a la 2016.

I would have loved to have seen their faces lol

I can't comment on 2007 as didn't go but constantly rain would be worse imo,  however that cement we were walking through last year was bloody hard work!!!

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Wasn't there '07, but sounds like it was pretty miserable.  Two factors to consider though:

- anyone that was there at both was roughly ten years older by the second.  Some people will have gotten fitter in that time, some will be treating themselves differently, most are likely to have prepared better.  So a different impact for different people, but maybe relevant.

- the site is getting subtly bigger year on year, there's more things dragging us in more directions across the day.  The comparison would have been slightly easier if it was '05 vs '16 as the Park was where I camped in '05 vs being yet another direction my weary mind had to consider whether I had enough energy to be bothered with in '16.  Aside from the Park though I think year-on-year there have been subtle stretching of the boundaries of where 'stuff happens' (plus on average most camping is further away now - no more Dragons' field, Oxylers is smaller, no more camping where Leftfield is now, reduced Row Mead, no more Park area camping, more use of John Peel side for camping, then having to negotiate around hospitality on that side).  

So great that we're still going ten year on, and great that the festival hasn't stayed the same - but maybe worth consider in terms of 'which was shitter'

A VERY well reasoned response. Have an upvote. I am in the camp of 2016 being worse, but those points you have made I am sure come into play. 2007 didn't have the organised fun that is Shangri-La and the whole south east corner bit, and it was generally easier to explore and get around. 

2016 in contrast for me, was an effing nightmare. 

However I'm older than I was in 2007, and 2007 did have a certain novelty factor (it was my first Glasto). 

I don't reckon I could cope with a 2007 now with as much aplomb as I seemed to do in my early 20s. 

Age. It's a bastard.

the weather last year wasn't bad at all, the mud was fucking horrific though, but that really isn't as a result of the weather at the festival. the worst of the rain was about 6/7am on saturday morning, because i endured it on the walk home from se corner to pylon, it was nailed it down for about half an hour, but that was really all worth talking about the whole weekend as far as my memory serves 

I was not there in 2007 but was in 2016 - last year was bad. It was hard work but was it really that bad?

Yes it sapped energy but I still danced and walked around lots and was able to sit on my bin liner most of the time.

I would rather have heavy mud than constant rain any time.

My memory might be playing tricks on me but wasn't there persistent drizzle most of Sunday last year?  The conditions underfoot made it by far the worst for me as I spend most of my time away from the main stages and getting about was exhausting.

2015 was the best weather for a while.

2007 was persistent light/medium rain pretty much the entire weekend.

2016 was regular heavy showers on top of ground that had been saturated in the weeks before the festival.

So it depends what bothered you more. I think the ground and conditions might have been worse in 2016 but just not being constantly rained on was both more pleasant, and gave us a bit of hope - I remember most nights in 2016 thinking "well as long as the rain keeps off overnight the ground will be better tomorrow" and of course it never did. But that kept people a bit more upbeat than 2007's "this is never going to stop".

I think one of the most annoying things about the gloopy sticky mud of 2016 is how it affects your ability to get from A to B. The path round the other was like the M25 at rush hour and I swear it took about 30 minutes just to get from one side to the other, either that or you try and cut through and lose a welly.

Ona dry year you can take whichever route you want m.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

2007 was persistent light/medium rain pretty much the entire weekend.

2016 was regular heavy showers on top of ground that had been saturated in the weeks before the festival.

So it depends what bothered you more. I think the ground and conditions might have been worse in 2016 but just not being constantly rained on was both more pleasant, and gave us a bit of hope - I remember most nights in 2016 thinking "well as long as the rain keeps off overnight the ground will be better tomorrow" and of course it never did. But that kept people a bit more upbeat than 2007's "this is never going to stop".

I agree with your conclusion, but not your recollection. 2007's showers were heavy. I remember cowering under an umbrella at the back of the Other field while trying to watch The Coral. I still got drenched, despite wearing all manner of water resistant clothing.

I have to admit my 2016 experience was improved greatly by being in JPT or both the daytime showers and having just entered my tent for the night time/early morning downpour.

2 hours ago, whisty said:

2007 was hands down worse for rain than 16 but I loved it and been back every year since. 2016 I didn't walk around the site so much but I was 10 years older!

I agree with this.

last year was hard work getting around but once you were at a stage it was fine. I didn't get around as much and missed some bands but the weather wasn't to bad just the ground.

2007 was just awful. I was cold for a lot of the time and it was constant rain so even watching a band wasn't great, I had my hood up all the time and my hood was a bit big so I kept getting a sore neck and people had umbrellas up and that blocked the stage. Eating was hard work because your food got wet so you had to eat as fast as possible. It was easy to walk around as the mud wasn't sticky just like thick soup that would get kicked up in your face by people walking around and you would always get a few people who found it funny to kick mud over everyone. 

I can see why 2007 put people off but I enjoyed it on the whole and new if the weather was good it would be the best place on earth. I've been back every year, hopefully will be this year if I get tickets in the resale. There were times in 07 that I thought this is awful and if I was in a car might have gone earlier but I had to wait for the train on Monday.