Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

21 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Nah, you're thinking 03, when there was a sprinkle Friday morning and then rain started during Moby (Sunday headliner).

2004 was borderline storms on Wednesday (crazy wind), ground dried out by Thurs pm, scorching Friday, then heavy overnight rain which made the ground turn. Then got sun and showers rest of fest (including some brief showers during McCartney). 

Impressive weather memory! Do you take weather notes as you wander around the festival?

I'll take rain on the sat / sun or both if we really have to have some. Being in trainers from wed until then makes a huge difference to energy levels etc instead of trudging about through mud with boots or wellies and not getting as much chance to sit down.

26 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Netweather lot are positive. You'll deffo need suncream I reckon. Could be scorchio on Wednesday thursday

I follow their model forecasting discussion thread too!

Looks like it'll be a lovely sunrise / sunset for the solstice on Wednesday :)

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

That's reminiscent of 2004 (this post is dedicated to @stuartbert two bats).

In that year, though, the rain came on the Sunday and by that point it really didn't matter.

I'm not sure why, unless you're referring the year I started doubling up on hats?

19 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Nah, you're thinking 03, when there was a sprinkle Friday morning and then rain started during Moby (Sunday headliner).

2004 was borderline storms on Wednesday (crazy wind), ground dried out by Thurs pm, scorching Friday, then heavy overnight rain which made the ground turn. Then got sun and showers rest of fest (including some brief showers during McCartney). 

Funny how memory works. I have three clear memories of 2014 weather.

* Sitting on the grass, drinking Brothers from a 2l bottle, belligerently ignoring offers of suncream. The wind had pulled me into a false sense of security!

* Visiting the medical tent, being prescribed a sombrero for 'weeping sores'. I actually found the wide rimmed hat directly on my highly burnt head too scratchy, so I purchased a second hat to go underneath. I quite liked the combination...

* Being caught out by the sudden appearance of mud, so getting some waiders from a market stall, which had a fold in them, sending me to the medical tent again for crutches the day after.

The thing is, the timeline is all messed up in my head. I thought the mud was the night of the football. Sunburn on Wednesday, dodgy ankle on Thursday, waving crutches at The Black Eyed Peas Friday. But this news report from the time backs you up - no rain Thursday. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/25/glastonbury2004.glastonbury3 

What's more, I remember sitting on the floor drinking Brothers before I'd made any visits to the medical tent, so when the hell was that if there was rain on Wednesday?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not sure why, unless you're referring the year I started doubling up on hats?

* Sitting on the grass, drinking Brothers from a 2l bottle, belligerently ignoring offers of suncream. The wind had pulled me into a false sense of security!

* Visiting the medical tent, being prescribed a sombrero for 'weeping sores'. I actually found the wide rimmed hat directly on my highly burnt head too scratchy, so I purchased a second hat to go underneath. I quite liked the combination...

* Being caught out by the sudden appearance of mud, so getting some waiders from a market stall, which had a fold in them, sending me to the medical tent again for crutches the day after.

The thing is, the timeline is all messed up in my head. I thought the mud was the night of the football. Sunburn on Wednesday, dodgy ankle on Thursday, waving crutches at The Black Eyed Peas Friday. But this news report from the time backs you up - no rain Thursday. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/25/glastonbury2004.glastonbury3 

What's more, I remember sitting on the floor drinking Brothers before I'd made any visits to the medical tent, so when the hell was that if there was rain on Wednesday?

It absolutely tanked down all Tuesday night in 04 it was quite muddy on the Wednesday but Thursday was really sunny and dried t up. 

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Thursday and Friday were both blazing sunshine, but mud was Sat morning onwards and Black Eyed Peas were Sat too (before McCartney). So that might explain it. 

Also, the worst thing about 2007 wasn't the endless pissing rain. It was that Brothers stopped selling the 2L bottles of perry that year. They got you through any weather.  

On 6/5/2017 at 11:37 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:
36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The day of the football was bright and sunny. I remember hearing the weather reports for the Friday just after England had been knocked out and a lot of people were chatting about it. Of course, we weren't expecting to wake up to it being quite THAT bad... Macca also was in wellies and singing about how 'We don't care about the rain' during Hey Jude.

28 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:
Thursday and Friday were both blazing sunshine, but mud was Sat morning onwards and Black Eyed Peas were Sat too (before McCartney). So that might explain it. 

Also, the worst thing about 2007 wasn't the endless pissing rain. It was that Brothers stopped selling the 2L bottles of perry that year. They got you through any weather.  

That can't be quite right, because I woke up with the ankle problem after spending the night walking around with the dodgy waders. It was 13 years ago mind.

52 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Upvoted as it reveals your origin story

God this thread moves quickly. Saw Gav's vid last night, and looked very good indeed. A suggestion of r**n on the Sunday, but seeing how far away that is, I won't believe forecasts for the end of the weekend until around a week or so before.

He was also saying it could be hot hot hot! Might have to purchase some space blankets this weekend...

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

God this thread moves quickly. Saw Gav's vid last night, and looked very good indeed. A suggestion of r**n on the Sunday, but seeing how far away that is, I won't believe forecasts for the end of the weekend until around a week or so before.

He was also saying it could be hot hot hot! Might have to purchase some space blankets this weekend...

The Sunday rain has gone in this morning's run.