Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, jfaragher said:

A run is what a weather model does.  So if the US weather service updates it weather model twice a day, you'd say they have two runs a day.  z = zulu time = UTC = GMT - basically 00z is midnight GMT (1 AM British summer time) - everyone in weather uses GMT for reference.  G(E)FS - Global (Ensemble) Forecast System - the US weather model.  ECMWF - European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting - world leaders in medium range forecasts (5 to 30 days).

Well that's definitely cleared things up... ;) 

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

A run is what a weather model does.  So if the US weather service updates it weather model twice a day, you'd say they have two runs a day.  z = zulu time = UTC = GMT - basically 00z is midnight GMT (1 AM British summer time) - everyone in weather uses GMT for reference.  G(E)FS - Global (Ensemble) Forecast System - the US weather model.  ECMWF - European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting - world leaders in medium range forecasts (5 to 30 days).

Cheers boss

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'd appreciate it if anybody with a time machine could go back and cross reference the main forecasts from a week ago against the actual weather over the past week, so we know which is mos accurate and which one we should pin our hopes on. Thanks.

Don't know if we even have to go back that far...Most of the recent forecasts had today (thursday) as a blip in the high pressure build with some rain forecast....how has that worked out? (I don't know as I'm on the other side of the Irish sea, but it was also forecast to rain here today and it's been quite nice, sunny in parts, bit windy, but dry as a bone!)...

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'd appreciate it if anybody with a time machine could go back and cross reference the main forecasts from a week ago against the actual weather over the past week, so we know which is mos accurate and which one we should pin our hopes on. Thanks.

I'm no scientist but I don't believe you actually require a time machine to do this.  

Plus if you had a time machine surely you would go forward to a week Monday, ask people what the weather was like when they trudge out of gate A, give yourself a quick snog then back on here to give us the lowdown.

Edited by Eks101
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

Don't know if we even have to go back that far...Most of the recent forecasts had today (thursday) as a blip in the high pressure build with some rain forecast....how has that worked out? (I don't know as I'm on the other side of the Irish sea, but it was also forecast to rain here today and it's been quite nice, sunny in parts, bit windy, but dry as a bone!)...

Hot as hell and dry in Kent all week so far.

For anyone interested, at this point last year:

- Site was getting battered

- BBC was forecasting nice weather for festival from the Wednesday, with no rain symbols at all

- Few, if any, people were forecasting how bad the weekend before would actual turn out being

- We were all fairly positive

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Based in Dublin, I walked to the Library to pick up some books in early morn (about 10am) and got hit with a light drizzle. Very very light. 

Headed to the shop for lunch about 13.30 and had to put a jacket on as it began to rain and it was a bit heavier than light.

Overcast and dry now but today in Dublin was not bone dry for sure

1 minute ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Based in Dublin, I walked to the Library to pick up some books in early morn (about 10am) and got hit with a light drizzle. Very very light. 

Headed to the shop for lunch about 13.30 and had to put a jacket on as it began to rain and it was a bit heavier than light.

Overcast and dry now but today in Dublin was not bone dry for sure

Very strange! whereabouts in Dublin? I was on my way into work this morning at 10, had the shades on and it was blazingly sunny! (Malahide)...went out to get some lunch (city centre) about 2 and had the shades on again!. This rain they are talking about must be very local and very brief! (I don't doubt you were caught in the rain but the way, but if today's weather is what they mean by rain, I'd be happy with that!)...:)

6 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

- BBC was forecasting nice weather for festival from the Wednesday, with no rain symbols at all

- Few, if any, people were forecasting how bad the weekend before would actual turn out being

False Claim!

Here's a post from @FuzzyDunlop from this far before last years fest in the 2016 thread

8 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

At this point last year the festival was further away :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Toilet Duck said:

Very strange! whereabouts in Dublin? I was on my way into work this morning at 10, had the shades on and it was blazingly sunny! (Malahide)...went out to get some lunch (city centre) about 2 and had the shades on again!. This rain they are talking about must be very local and very brief! (I don't doubt you were caught in the rain but the way, but if today's weather is what they mean by rain, I'd be happy with that!)...:)

Rathmines

The rain I got "caught" in is defo the sort of rain that I will be willing to accept at Glasto. 

Basically caught under an isolated cloud or two and nothing heavy falling and only falling for a minute or two

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Rathmines

The rain I got "caught" in is defo the sort of rain that I will be willing to accept at Glasto. 

Basically caught under an isolated cloud or two and nothing heavy falling and only falling for a minute or two

Yep, enough to keep the dust down and no more!