Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Of course, I usually try to stand somewhere unobtrusive anyway. 

Someone on here once said 'It's a festival, not a queue'. As a tall man that resonated with me a bit. I do my best to make sure people behind me can see but it's inevitable that you have to stand in front of someone!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

4-5 hours of heavy rain and the place turns to shit. Regardless of the weather beforehand. 

Site was bone dry in 05, one of the reasons the flooding was so bad.

Just checked forecasts from that year and that storm wasn't forecast until the Tuesday week of the festival.

Still remember lying in the sun on Thursday, not a cloud in the sky, and thinking - nah, must be wrong, no way it's going to rain in 12 hours.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

i have a rule as im also quiite tall.

Get to the gig early and get a spot where im happy. If ppl come later and are stuck behind me then its not my fault. I will NEVER push ahead though if im late to a gig because i know i will block someones view. I just get as close as i can without blocking someones view.

its why i never see half a set at glastonbury and then move to another as it means i will have shit spots at 2 sets. Would rather just get to one band early and get a good spot.

Now back to the weather :)

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The only way that really works is if all people over 6ft stand at the back. Not exactly a fair solution. Im 6ft 4 and always have people asking can they get in front of me. I try to accommodate, but once you allow one person in front you end up blocking the view of another person usually. Its a pain in the ass because even if you can see the stage perfectly well you constantly feel the burning beady eyes piercing the back of your head...........

11 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just checked forecasts from that year and that storm wasn't forecast until the Tuesday week of the festival.

Still remember lying in the sun on Thursday, not a cloud in the sky, and thinking - nah, must be wrong, no way it's going to rain in 12 hours.

I remember our group fell asleep under the shade of the pre paedo named new band tent on the Thursday afternoon. Glorious sunshine. Evening was cracking too. 

Then up in the stone circle that night and there was a crack of lighting followed by a defiant cheer from everyone. Then a 2nd louder crack of lightning which was closer and everyone legged it!

Woke up the next morning hearing Jo Whiley on the radio talking about people in canoes. 

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

I remember our group fell asleep under the shade of the pre paedo named new band tent on the Thursday afternoon. Glorious sunshine. Evening was cracking too. 

Then up in the stone circle that night and there was a crack of lighting followed by a defiant cheer from everyone. Then a 2nd louder crack of lightning which was closer and everyone legged it!

:lol:

Several of our party had left wellies in the car. They woke up faced with getting from Wicket to gate D to get them when the entirety of New Bands and old dance Village was under two foot of water.

Told the story many times of how we were camped in the flood at the bottom of Pennards. However the weather was pretty good that year other than the flood. Got sunburnt Thursday and when it did stop on Friday the sun came out again and everywhere pretty much dried up by Sunday.

We repitched, dried everything out in the sunshine and finished up with Mr Brightside.

10 minutes ago, mjsell said:

If I was 7ft tall I'd find the biggest fucker I could see in the crowd and go and stand in front of them. They would have done it to so many people in the past that they couldnt say a thing.

Clumps of tall guys cause more problems. If tall people stand near me you hear grumblings from behind that its a conspiracy against short folk 

24 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

So, in 2005, I know Pennards got pretty fucked up, but what was the rest of the site like? Presumably that was the muddiest part and took the longest to dry out...?

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So, in 2005, I know Pennards got pretty fucked up, but what was the rest of the site like? Presumably that was the muddiest part and took the longest to dry out...?

The Other Stage area didn't dry out at all. 

Everyone should listen to this to prepare yourself for next week

Turn everything up to the max

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lebenski said:

2005 was cool because it was basically just one batch of pissing it down and the rest of the time is was sunny which meant that it wasn't a mudfest.

This was the answer I was hoping for :)

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The Other Stage area didn't dry out at all. 

This one less so.... 

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Everyone should listen to this to prepare yourself for next week

Turn everything up to the max

Although actually, the sound of that is quite nice. I quite enjoyed getting back to my tent last year on the Saturday AM when it was raining and laying listening to it. It's just when you get out of the tent that you have a problem :lol: