Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

3 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Update to this post, with a graph for Big__Phil.  More red and green is better, presuming you don't want rain...

593f9b4c437dd_Table20170613.PNG.f620fed3ec7448a0751ba120ea04e504.PNG

Compared to yesterday, with added graph

593f9be4269cd_Table20170612.PNG.f83cb16b3fbef681fc5c51ec6066cd7e.PNG

Good work :)

Here's my effort, it uses an r script to extract and calculate the daily accumulated rainfall for each gfs ensemble member for the latest 4 runs and plot them on a chart.

Rplot01.png

X axis is total accumulated daily rainfall in mm
Y axis is the day/date

Each GFS ensemble member is represented by the points (dots  - different colours represent the 4 different runs in the last 24 hours), the lines are the linear trends.
The so the points represent the range of likely outcomes and the more tightly they are clustered (closer together) across the x axis the more confidence we have in the forecast.

To summarise

Dry today and tomorrow, some rain Thursday but the later runs are predicting this to not be as bad as previously thought. Then Largely dry over Friday and the weekend

Into festival week forecasts are becoming progressively less certain Monday Tuesday and Wednesday of next week may see some rain but this is by non means guaranteed and shouldn't amount to much.

Very limited confidence for the main festival weekend most runs suggesting we shouldn't see more than a few mms of rain a day but with a small chance it could be worse. 

Edited by fur_q
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Good work :)

Here's my effort, it uses an r script to extract and calculate the daily accumulated rainfall for each gfs ensemble member for the latest 4 runs and plot them on a chart.

Rplot01.png

X axis is total accumulated daily rainfall in mm
Y axis is the day/date

Each GFS ensemble member is represented by the points (dots  - different colours represent the 4 different runs in the last 24 hours), the lines are the linear trends.
The so the points represent the range of likely outcomes and the more tightly they are clustered (closer together) across the x axis the more confidence we have in the forecast.

To summarise

Dry today and tomorrow, some rain Thursday but the later runs are predicting this to not be as bad as previously thought. Then Largely dry over Friday and the weekend

Into festival week forecasts are becoming progressively less certain Monday Tuesday and Wednesday of next week may see some rain but this is by non means guaranteed and shouldn't amount to much.

Very limited confidence for the main festival weekend most runs suggesting we shouldn't see more than a few mms of rain a day but with a small chance it could be worse. 

Would you be able to - in idiot speak - say how that compares to the run up and into the festival last year? :D 

54 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

If you buy a really expensive pair of wellies, Sod's law says it will be gloriously sunny all festival. 

I think you've gotta take one for the team here.

I bought wellies and then customised them with paint sticker,s and LED lights. Of course the weather will be such that I won't need to wear them.

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

How was 2005? Too young to have even known what Glastonbury was then.

It was extremely hot on the Weds & thurs, then the mother of all thunderstorms bought a months worth of rain in 6 hours...after that...all good again!

Edited by mario man

6 minutes ago, mario man said:

It was extremely hot on the Weds & thurs, then the mother of all thunderstorms bought a months worth of rain in 6 hours...after that...all good again!

That doesn't sound too bad...

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

22424842_bef76a2ce9_b.jpg

p01by39k.jpg

That seems infinitely worse and also indescribably British :D 

Please no flooding like that. Which campsite was it?!?

3 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

How was 2005? Too young to have even known what Glastonbury was then.

Here is my take on it.

I had been at since I got on site , and sat outside our tents in early hours my mate said there is a storm coming so we decided to call it a night.  I thought I would not sleep due to certain substances but due to the lack of sleep since the Tuesday I was out like a light .  I vaguely remember it raining but that's about it.  We camp on big ground and so were in no danger of flooding etc.  When morning came my partner at the time rang me really worried.  "Festival could be cancelled " " Dance Tent on fire hit by lightening " "People missing presumed drowned " "No one can leave or get onto site "  She wanted to make sure I was ok and safe. 

I poked my head outside of my tent and said to her " everything looks fine to me "

I remember I got up later and my first band was British Sea Power , I dressed in all my wet weather gear - and not long after sun came out and I was boiling with about 4 layers on