Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

For anyone who didn't see it in the 'State of the Ground' thread a few weeks ago, someone posted a link to one of the coolest weather sites I have come across.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.6;-2.9;5&l=rain-3h

Only goes up until Saturday 17th at the moment but is quite mesmerising and I will no doubt waste many an hour watching it over the next 2 weeks. Not too much in the way of greens and blues after next Saturday.

weather.PNG

35 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I have to raise an eyebrow any time anyone says 2010 was worse than the likes of last year, you can pour water over yourself and create your own rain I can't conjure sunshine when it's pissing it down. I'd rather leap out of my tent sweating in trainers than staring at the rain and mud outside my tent lacing up already heavily muddy boots any day. 

This.

Would just like to echo the sentiments of all those citing hot hot hot = best (in case the weather gods are reading and run some kind of vote based system)

I recall in 2015, rained early on before the sun came out and it was lovely. The weekend after the weather went scorchio nuts and it was way up into the 30s - that hot would be carnage at Glastonbury I feel. But I'd still take it!

Edited by Gozzynoko-Flow

39 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

The ideal situation for me is them beautiful light and fluffy clouds, little bit of rain to keep the dust & hay fever down. and about 21 degrees :) 

A 2010 30 degrees everyday was somewhat unpleasant

2010 was perfection, I will not have  bad word said about it 

pistols at dawn it is 

• Upvote 1

The fear in this thread amuses me, last year was my first and some how the mud the walking nothing bothered me it was one of the best weeks of my life, and surely it can't get worse so the way I see it no matter what happens it's going to be better this year :), I do wonder if my cheeky 1 hour naps every afternoon are what gave me the energy to just keep going mind. It's going to be great weather this year I know it.

I find the best method to adopt when running through mud is to mimic a marshland bird, arms outstretched and flapping wildly.  As I skip ably across the sea of barely trodden sludge I often draw a crowd who I can only assume are watching in impressed awe.

Edited by Spindles
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jsmooth said:

The fear in this thread amuses me

People afraid of the weather, genuinely afraid. Afraid of mud, afraid of rain, afraid of sun. 

I do wonder if my cheeky 1 hour naps every afternoon are what gave me the energy to just keep going mind. 

Yeah big fan of them myself.

6 minutes ago, Jsmooth said:

The fear in this thread amuses me, last year was my first and some how the mud the walking nothing bothered me it was one of the best weeks of my life, and surely it can't get worse so the way I see it no matter what happens it's going to be better this year :), I do wonder if my cheeky 1 hour naps every afternoon are what gave me the energy to just keep going mind. It's going to be great weather this year I know it.

With you on this... the mud didn't bother me at all.

Five days of getting pissed wet through though i think would...

At this point I don't care.  If it's raining and mucky I'll wear wellies and waterproofs. If it's hot then I'll wear a hat and sunscreen. Either way it's going to be amazing, but it would be more amazing if it were hot rather than muddy and anyone who says otherwise need their head examined.

27 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I find the best method to adopt when running through mud is to mimic a marshland bird, arms outstretched and flapping wildly.  As I skip ably across the sea of barely trodden sludge I often draw a crowd who I can only assume are watching in impressed awe.

Mental image is of Corbyn doing this as per your avatar. Brilliant

33 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just reminded me of two people late night in Shangri La last year, perched, sat down somewhere, who were judging everyone's efforts to get through the gloopiest gloop while off their face. They were highly impressed with my marshland bird approach to get to the toilets! :D 

I find it a struggle in the heat but the key is to get some shade, drink some water and wear sun cream to avoid sun stroke. 

Rain and wet just saps all the energy out of me, you can't sit, everywhere is busier and you are restricted to what you do by the muddy struggle.

It's a no brainer which one I would prefer, but my ideal would be warm and overcast ;)

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Listen, I'm not saying sweltering heat is any fun at all, but last year was a proper slog at times. It totally changed the way you had to do the festival as well. No more 'popping away early from this set to see the next one', because every journey took twice as long. You couldn't leave the walkways, which made everything incredibly slow. No sitting on the grass, no taking off wellies, no walking through certain areas of the SE corner for fear of getting stuck.

I'd take brutal heat over brutal mud, any day. At least the sun goes away at night.

The moving between places was just exhausting. I spend ages slowly shuffling from Park to JP to the extent when I finally got there, I was drained of energy and didn't enjoy the set.

Hard ground can be sorted with well padded shoes. I've never had problems with hard ground