Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, Untz said:

Wind and heavy rain? Typical British summer weather, relax.

A few days of heavy rain at the beginning of June is nothing to be worried about. And it's not a monsoon.

I will back this up.  I got caught in the monsoon in Sri Lanka lasy year and it was like someone dropped the ocean on my head.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, benc said:

It pretty much cannot get anyworse, therefore, the weather will start getting gradually better and peak in two weeks time with back to back sunshine

I like you. Positive. Confident. A realist. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what causes high and low pressure to form where it does? 

Is this the most complicated question ever asked on these forums?

Certainly far too much for me on a Tuesday morning. Sorry Tease.

55 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Autumn? This is a mid Feb shitshow if I've ever seen one. Utterly terrible. Can you imagine if... no I won't finish that.

To be fair since i posted that, its most definitely hit the lows of mid Feb shit show... And is not stopping!

The long range for Pilton however is still looking very positive over the coming weeks so fingers, toes and whatever else crossed that it stays that way!

Best to get the weather out the way this week, and we call enjoy a sunny second half of the month!

Looks like today and tomorrow will be better, which should allow the ground to recover a bit. As long as they keep vehicles off the grass we'll be fine.

High pressure means the sky is higher up.

Low pressure means the sky is closer to the ground, i.e. 'low'. So the clouds with the rain in them are closer to your head, and the rain has less distance to fall accurately to make you get wet.

Which means we're fucked. 

Science, folks. 

59 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I just cycled to work in this shite. Comfortably the worst weather I've ever cycled in. 

5 minutes ago, briddj said:

Me too. Six miles of hell. Wet through a waterproof coat which has never previously let me down.

Do you guys not have any alternatives to cycling? On a day like this I'd be opening the door and

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Franky said:

it is currently Aramageddon in Bucks :( It does make me nervous !

Nah, it's just getting all the rain over and done with this week so the ground has time to dry out next week and then it will be sunny all festival!!

21 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Do you guys not have any alternatives to cycling? On a day like this I'd be opening the door and

giphy.gif

Yep, could have got the tube in. But it's now nearly five years since I didn't cycle in for any reason other than going to a social event. Although this was the closest I've ever been to aborting. I will not be defeated!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

This is probably a stupid question, but what causes high and low pressure to form where it does? 

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Descending air causes high pressure, rising air causes low pressure.

Hadley cells. 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

In a nutshell its the heating and cooling of air. But its a tad more complex in reality

Basically this:

Inconsistent radiation from the Sun to the Earth due to its curvature, depth of atmosphere and cloud cover (among other things) causes some spots to get more heat than others. When air heats up it rises (low pressure) spills out in all horizontal directions (wind) cools and can then drop back down (high pressure). When air cools it decreases it's energy capacity to store water which is why clouds and rain form. For more info check out Hadley cells (and associated air streams), and combine it with the Coriolis effect (the same force that is said to be responsible for the direction water flows down your sink which QI said was a myth but definitely does cause weather systems and front to spin) as well as oceanic currents and their impact and you basically have global weather modelling.

Can you tell that was the first time I was able to use my Geography degree in 5 years? Apols if it was OTT.

• Upvote 2