Hot Water Bottle idea

whateverman

So, would this work?

Obviously not going to come back to my tent mashed and try heating water on my gas stove - but - how about preparing the hot water early evening before I set out, and putting it into a flask.  Then when I crawl back to my tent in the wee hours I pour the (hopefully still quite warm) water into a little travel hot water bottle?

Genius or insanity?

Fill hot water bottle before you go out,wrap in tin foil/emergency blanket,stuff in sleeping bag and should be good when you get back. Obviously depends how long you out but done this myself about 6-7 and have nice toasty bed when get in 2-3. A flask will do just as well maybe better but you still have to pour it into hot bottle itself and if mashed it's probably bit risky

• 2 weeks later...

Always worth having a Thermos flask to put hot water in.  Any spare from making a cuppa, stored in the Thermos, means using less gas and taking less time the next time you put the kettle on.

We did this on my Everest Base Camp trek. A survival essential...

Get a good quality 1L aluminium drinking flask e.g. SIGG (NOT a Thermos flask) filled with boiling water in the late evening. Am sure one of the late night coffee/tea places would do this for you for a small donation. Obviously make sure the flask has a heat protective sleeve covering it so you don't burn your hands. Place it in the bottom of your sleeping bag on return to your tent. The water will stay warm most of the night keeping you nice and toasty, but will be cold enough for a refreshing drink by the morning.

Top tip :-) x

1 hour ago, Ollie9917 said:

It just seems a bit dangerous? A camp fire in a field with thousands of tents

Nope. One of the things that makes Glastonbury work is that people are treated as adults and self police themselves. Such as don't have a roaring 6ft high bonfire and make sure there's sufficient space. 

Most people have a fairly small social campfire which is perfectly safe.

Edited by Keithy

The last time I recall us having a decent campfire was 2010; which was about the last time I recall a decent pile of firewood being provided by the festival; certainly for the Hitchin Hill locale anyroad.

There was a bit of dry brushwood left at the top of Spring Ground two or three years ago, but nothing on the historic scale; it was basically kindling, but for old times’ sake we had a modest fire one night and then had to put up with the tutting of more than one passer-by who clearly knew nothing different.

Probably the thing I miss most from the earlier festivals. A circle of tents around a central fire. Friends arriving and departing; home for bed, or setting off back out for early-hours high jinks. The crackle; the smoke that followed you wherever you stationed; the steaming boots when it had rained.

But perhaps the most evocative thing was the year after; unravelling the tent to inspect its festival-worthiness and getting that hit of smoke. A morale booster if ever there was one.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. we love a fire at least one of the nights. usually its the Thursday. Just great end to the evening , and tends to attract your neighbours for a nice dram and a blether.free wood gets snaffled up pretty quickly but we liberated a wood pallet from one of the stalls in 2014.They were happy to get rid as saves them having to take off site .