George Michael tribute

kalifire

Is there any scope for this, do you think?

I still can't listen to his voice without a tear in my eye, and I'd love there to be some kind of Glastonbury tribute. I've always thought he'd be an amazing Sunday/legend headliner and I'd love to think there'd be a space for him at this point.

50 minutes ago, Badlands said:

He's got nowt to do with the festival. 

Glastonbury reflects music, not the other way around. The fact he didn't play there hasn't got any relationship to the impact he'll have had on lots of people who attend. His influence in inarguable. It'd be nice to have some kind of tribute that's all I'm saying.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Glastonbury reflects music, not the other way around. The fact he didn't play there hasn't got any relationship to the impact he'll have had on lots of people who attend. His influence in inarguable. It'd be nice to have some kind of tribute that's all I'm saying.

What sort of tribute would you suggest? I would be happy to argue about his influence. I think his influence was relatively minor. I think it would be nice to recognise him but surely not to the level of people such as Bowie. Maybe a Wham singalong in the Tiny Tea Tent.

Edited by Pink_Tequila
Added question mark!

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

The fact he didn't play there .

They didn't book him when he was active. Why do you reckon that was?

I'm sure some of his songs will be played over the weekend by dj's, I'll be surprised if there's many covers.

I dunno, I'm not dismissing his talent, he was obviously a great song writer. I'm just not sure why he needs a tribute.

1 minute ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Yeah without a doubt Micheals had less influence than Prince and Bowie overall. Should we also expect to see tributes to Cohen, Lemmy, Phife Dawg etc? Just can't see it. Not that I'm saying he shouldn't be remembered, I just can't see something special happening at the fest

In fairness..there was a tribute to Lemmy!

Just now, Mouseboy11 said:

In fairness..there was a tribute to Lemmy!

Ach, I thought one of those would come back and bite me in the arse. But still, he had played the festival recently, was probably still a bigger influence on people that GM, but yuo know what I mean. If some bands/singers want to dedicate a song to him or cover one of his hits that's fair enough but the festival can't keep rolling out tributes left right and centre.

Out of all the people who've died since the last festival, I wouldn't put George Michael near the top of the list of warranting a tribute

Surely the person who has topped 'greatest ever Glastonbury sets' lists is more deserving for a start. But I suspect they'll get naff all

Edited by russycarps