INmusic - Zagreb

gregory

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the majority of people that listen to the 4 headliners don't usually listen to any of the under card. Seems KOL cost the festival a decent undercard. It's just random cheap acts right now. Not saying they're not good, just that that they are not in the same genre/world as AF/KOL/Alt-J/Kasabian, asaid from Slaves perhaps to the latter. 

1 minute ago, gregory said:

I'm pretty sure the majority of people that listen to the 4 headliners don't usually listen to any of the under card. Seems KOL cost the festival a decent undercard. It's just random cheap acts right now. Not saying they're not good, just that that they are not in the same genre/world as AF/KOL/Alt-J/Kasabian, asaid from Slaves perhaps to the latter. 

I mean I'm searching for some other "Booka Shade".

From who's around this summer I'd like medium/small acts like Benjamine Clementine, Sleaford Mods, Trentemoller, Mitski...I don't ask too much I think :) 

Anyway Kol day is more expensive than the other.

11 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Did you listen to local bands they announced too?

I've been investigating stuff yes. Despite not listening to most the acts usually, they all have pretty good live reputations, so sure it'll be fun. Also looking forward to Booka Shade @alan_ts,

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of hate this festival gets on the social media and in media in general is really strange. I don't get it at all. Noticed that years ago and still don't get it as usually everyone agrees after the festival that it was good :lol: Been reading about it last 30 minutes or so, they even get bashed for the price 

9 hours ago, Nicklord said:

The amount of hate this festival gets on the social media and in media in general is really strange. I don't get it at all. Noticed that years ago and still don't get it as usually everyone agrees after the festival that it was good :lol: Been reading about it last 30 minutes or so, they even get bashed for the price 

I haven't really noticed that. I will say, I think they made a mistake assuming that everyone likes Kings Of Leon and spending most of their budget on them, at the expense of the rest of the line-up. With Arcade Fire, Alt-J and Kasabian I think they were strong enough, and could have got 10 decent mid-sized bands to play on the main stage with them, instead of Kings of Leon + 2 competition winners and random small acts. If you do like Kings of Leon though, what a bargain. I imagine a lot of the locals will be arriving at the festival 30 mins before the headliners and leaving right after. 

1 hour ago, gregory said:

I haven't really noticed that. I will say, I think they made a mistake assuming that everyone likes Kings Of Leon and spending most of their budget on them, at the expense of the rest of the line-up. With Arcade Fire, Alt-J and Kasabian I think they were strong enough, and could have got 10 decent mid-sized bands to play on the main stage with them, instead of Kings of Leon + 2 competition winners and random small acts. If you do like Kings of Leon though, what a bargain. I imagine a lot of the locals will be arriving at the festival 30 mins before the headliners and leaving right after. 

I should have said that I was talking only about Croatian media :D Basically last several years they are saying it's only a place for indie people to get drunk and listen to bands that nobody knows and now when they booked someone mainstream like Kings of Leon the same media and people are like: "Oh wow they sold out" :lol: 

I agree with you about booking them and that several bands are worth more than KoL but last 2 years they basically had 10-11 mid sized bands and one big band and it was half empty. They had to change something 

12 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

I should have said that I was talking only about Croatian media :D Basically last several years they are saying it's only a place for indie people to get drunk and listen to bands that nobody knows and now when they booked someone mainstream like Kings of Leon the same media and people are like: "Oh wow they sold out" :lol: 

I agree with you about booking them and that several bands are worth more than KoL but last 2 years they basically had 10-11 mid sized bands and one big band and it was half empty. They had to change something 

Sadly it's going to be full of English lads (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lad) this year getting pissed, going by facebook comments. The kind that worship Kasabian, Slaves and Kings of Leon.... I was going to Croatia to get away from them! Haha. Hopefully they leave me alone for Arcade Fire and Alt J.

Edited by gregory

1 hour ago, gregory said:

12 Swedish (?!) acts just announced, as part of some exchange program. That makes over half the lineup so far being either from some kind of project/program/exchange or competition winners. Is this how they normally source the lineup? 

Actually yeah :D The number of those acts this year is a bit bigger (as we talked before cause they don't have a lot of medium sized acts cause headliners) but basically all those smaller stages are filled with that 

Maybe I will still go, I can't decide. Sure it'll be fun, but it's a long way from the UK and not so easy to attend. 

I'm just bummed out about the undercard. Last year had Jake Bugg, Skunk Anansie, The Kooks, Wilco, Django Django, Pennywise, The Coral, Yeasayer, The Heavy - all bands (apart from Pennywise) that you regularly hear on 6 music, and are in NME/Q etc. This year; Alt J, Michael Kiwanuka, Slaves. Public Service Broadcasting and then Flogging Molly, Booka Shade and some random acts. 

Anyway, a bunch more local acts added today, if anyone's interested :) 

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Edited by gregory

33 minutes ago, gregory said:

Maybe I will still go, I can't decide. Sure it'll be fun, but it's a long way from the UK and not so easy to attend. 

I'm just bummed out about the undercard. Last year had Jake Bugg, Skunk Anansie, The Kooks, Wilco, Django Django, Pennywise, The Coral, Yeasayer, The Heavy - all bands (apart from Pennywise) that you regularly hear on 6 music, and are in NME/Q etc. This year; Alt J, Michael Kiwanuka, Slaves. Public Service Broadcasting and then Flogging Molly, Booka Shade and some random acts. 

Croatian people know how to party and the headliners are very stong...

If you have some more time beside the festival you can spend a few days on the coast.

On Thursday I'll go to Medulin for 4 days on the beach :) 

35 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yeah the undercard a shocker. In hindsite I agree it was mental to blast all that cash on KoL, they should've bunged Alt J into the last headline slot then you'd have had a fantastic undercard....anyway cest la vie n I'm sure some of these random acts will be good....n if not you can get drunk cheaply in the bars around Jarun whilst eating Čevapi :)

21 hours ago, Sandwichkid said:

Are you all from Germany, a typical German attitude, in Germany we call it big-time whinging :D I paid 56€ for this line-up, i could have invested my money in worse ways ;)

No I'm from Zagreb. Salaries are a little different here.

Besides what's wrong with stating we'd have preferred a less top heavy line up? I've seen KoL live before and would've preferred several mid sized bands instead of no names on the undercard. Anyway thanks for your valuable contribution....

On 28.5.2017 at 8:49 PM, NomadicMan said:

No I'm from Zagreb. Salaries are a little different here.

Besides what's wrong with stating we'd have preferred a less top heavy line up? I've seen KoL live before and would've preferred several mid sized bands instead of no names on the undercard. Anyway thanks for your valuable contribution....

Difference in salaries, that`s right :unsure: I have just looked it up, huge difference....

But in my opinion, the undercard of last years line-up wasn't much better, and they didn't had this huge headliners, 2015 was pretty awesome (when you compare it with this line-up, i agree with you), but 2014 was also not the best one... This year, you have Alt-J, Michael Kiwanuaka, Flogging Molly, Slaves, Danko Jones, Booka Shade and Public Broadcasting System, Bands, which play the big festival stages in the world, and Darko Rudnek und Repetitor sounds pretty awesome too :)  If i organized this line-up and got the opportunity to book KoL, Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Arcade Fire, i would take the chance and would be happy... Sziget with 300€ per Person and a capacity of 90000 people per day did a worse job....

6 hours ago, Sandwichkid said:

Difference in salaries, that`s right :unsure: I have just looked it up, huge difference....

But in my opinion, the undercard of last years line-up wasn't much better, and they didn't had this huge headliners, 2015 was pretty awesome (when you compare it with this line-up, i agree with you), but 2014 was also not the best one... This year, you have Alt-J, Michael Kiwanuaka, Flogging Molly, Slaves, Danko Jones, Booka Shade and Public Broadcasting System, Bands, which play the big festival stages in the world, and Darko Rudnek und Repetitor sounds pretty awesome too :)  If i organized this line-up and got the opportunity to book KoL, Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Arcade Fire, i would take the chance and would be happy... Sziget with 300€ per Person and a capacity of 90000 people per day did a worse job....

Yeah I agree it's better line up than last year and actually for me it works well. I'm at Nova Rock the weekend before this so will be treating it as three single gigs and coming in after work each day. For the likes of Gregory heading to Zagreb from Uk though a bit more balance would be good..my main gripe is I didn't really enjoy KoL first time round so blowing the festival budget on them for me seems a bit wasteful....BUT they sold out day tickets for that day already so for the festival commercially it's working out.

Looking forward I like the idea of bringing these huge bands to Zagreb each year...normally you gotta head to Vienna, Budapest etc.