Comedy/Cabaret

Chipbarm

While the rumour mill goes into overdrive for the main stages I've been thinking about who I would like to see in one of my favourite areas to chill, the cabaret tent. Here's just a few on my wish list.

Josh Widdecombe (with new material) Mark Steel, Justin Moorhouse, Tom Wrigglesworth, Bill Bailey, Sarah Pascoe, Rangesh Ranganathan, and I know it's a big ask but Ricky Gervais. No doubt the old faithful will be there Brigstock, Jupitus etc. And jugglers I'm really partial to a good juggler. Who would you like to see?

Edited by Chipbarm

Foes anyone know why Glastonbury doesn't pull big comedians (russell brand/ricky gervais/chris rock etc)? Is it the money? It seems odd when they bring in the biggest music acts in the world but comedian wise it just seems we end up with mock of the week types.

4 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Sometimes the lesser known comics are the best

Spot on. It's about being funny, and naff all else.

Famous comedians are not like famous bands. With famous bands you want to hear their back catalogue. A comic who told the same jokes for his whole career probably wouldn't get very far.

It's for exactly this reason that the sponsorship of festivals that efests has done over the years has been for comedy.

7 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

pretty much spent 3 full days sprawled out on the floor of the comedy tent.

It's my go to place in the morning. While most of my mates are sat round camp on a massive comedown surrounded by empty cans and last nights noodles I head to cabaret get some nice food, read the paper and maybe grab a bit of shut eye. Perfect start to the day.

Just now, The60ftOctopus said:

I've not actually been to see a comedian at Glasto. On my to-do list.

Would love David O'Doherty to pop up though.

When you're wandering around, just go into the caberat tent and watch whatever is on.

If the act is a bit crap, stay anyway, cos they'll be over in a few minutes. Then you'll have a compere who is likely to be funny, and the chances are the next act will be great if the last one was crap.

Just about all the famous comics of the Al Murray generation I saw in the cabaret tent at Glasto before they had major fame. 

10 minutes ago, Chipbarm said:

It's my go to place in the morning. While most of my mates are sat round camp on a massive comedown surrounded by empty cans and last nights noodles I head to cabaret get some nice food, read the paper and maybe grab a bit of shut eye. Perfect start to the day.

Marcus Brigstocke's Policy Unit on a Sunday morning.  Just glorious, especially if Jupitus is hungover and cranky.

Widdecombe in 2015 was, and I was quite surprised, outstanding.

If I could get Dylan Moran I'd be a happy bunny.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

A comic who told the same jokes for his whole career probably wouldn't get very far.

Seems to have worked out for Peter Kay. Can't stand his stand up at all, although Phoenix Nights etc. are entertaining.

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's one thing I've not done, definitely on my to-do list this year. Not fussed about who it is, I'm a bit of a stand up-addict so will be happy enough no matter who it is. 

Every year I say this but every year whenever I go to the tent it's always absolutely rammed and I don't have the patience to queue to get in.

20 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

I think we saw a random American pair, with a wheel, singing random songs in random styles, picked by the wheel....I think, may have imagined the whole thing! 

This sounds exactly like Jess Robinson and Kirsty Newton.  Seen them a few times at Glastonbury. Very talented people!! There are two wheels - one for the song and one for the singer...so you get Edith Piaf singing Postman Pat!  That ring a bell?  They're not American though.   

Edited by warriormonk
typo, punctuation!

19 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

This! Exactly this!

The lesser known comedy acts are usually only on for a short time so the turn around of acts is pretty quick. 

I think we saw a random American pair, with a wheel, singing random songs in random styles, picked by the wheel....I think, may have imagined the whole thing! 

And a massive bonus of the cabaret tent is you can sit/lie down, unless its a bigger name, had to stand for Josh Widdecombe, was feeling fragile the standing did not go down to well...had a moan the OH let me lean on him, happy days :)

That will be the Wheel of Four Tunes. I managed to bag a seat for Widdecombe, if you go down the side entrances it's always easier to squeeze in.

There's usually no queue at all unless it's a particularly big act (i.e. Josh Widdicombe). I liked him the first time I saw him there but he seems to do the same act every year about camping: "The one room I don't want from home is the porch." If he is back I hope for a change in material. Love the Cabaret tent though - my go to place at Glasto.

Like others have said, if there's nothing on that particularly tickles my fancy I'll just wander in, sit down and watch whosoever is on. 

Last year on Friday morning I had the hangover from hell, Brexit aftershock and it was raining so I wandered in ...and came out a couple of hours later feeling very much better than when I went in.   In succession we had Jess Robinson (amazing singer/impressionist), Ivan Brackenbury the hospital radio DJ, a very angry Jeremy Hardy, Shappi Khorsandi and Kevin Eldon...or should that be The Actor Kevin Eldon.   

I make sure I spend time there every year.  Never been disappointed.