Children and toilets question

shuttlep

My Mate is taking his beloved daughter to Glastonbury this year (you wouldn't catch me doing that I am far too selfish) but he was wandering about the toilet situation. He has been many time and knows about the toilets. He was wondering if anyone one has some good tips for toilets and the young. he was thinking of digging out the potty for the tent. but when in the middle of watching the FOO fighters  and she will need a wee. are they any useful tips on long drop usage which don;t involve dropping her in .

Took my daughter first time last year for one night(son been for few years but boys are easy) obviously it all depends on age my daughter was 4going on 5 and found with long drops she stood on edge and squat whilst I hold her hands(tightly,still be scary for her) took pot for nighttime but she didn't use it till 8next morning but that's because I couldn't be arsed to walk her to toilet,judge me as much as want,she literally woke me up and said I need toilet now and I need at least 2coffees before I do anything lol. As for compost found pretty much same really although she preferred the compost ones so tried to aim for them,think it helped she could see under it when we queued and plus a bit more pleasant then long drops. To be honest once she done it once she will be fine,mine was terrified first time then was fine after. Good luck

We used a foldable potty and potty liners. You can use it anywhere and then drop the offending 'item' at the loos later. Worked a treat. 

https://www.babycurls.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6414&gclid=CJyck5WLyNICFYU4Gwod3QANWQ

Don't know anything about this website but this is the type of thing. 

14 hours ago, Dillyblue said:

Since more and more children are going to the festival these days, perhaps there could be children only/sized toilets dotted round the site. They could be decorated too to show kids only!! Emily has youngsters so a word to her?!?!

by jove you are a genius... tweeting Emily as soon as I can

15 hours ago, Dillyblue said:

Since more and more children are going to the festival these days, perhaps there could be children only/sized toilets dotted round the site. They could be decorated too to show kids only!! Emily has youngsters so a word to her?!?!

Yes!  A couple of the kid-sized composters at even half the toilet blocks would make such a difference.  The volunteers that seem to be found in abundance at the toilets nowadays would discourage any misuse.

Otherwise it's travel potty, a blanket for privacy and potty liners.

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Yes!  A couple of the kid-sized composters at even half the toilet blocks would make such a difference.  The volunteers that seem to be found in abundance at the toilets nowadays would discourage any misuse.

Otherwise it's travel potty, a blanket for privacy and potty liners.

It makes total sense. I have tweeted the kidz field and Emily Eavis ... chances of any of them reading them though are minute I guess. 

26 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

It makes total sense. I have tweeted the kidz field and Emily Eavis ... chances of any of them reading them though are minute I guess. 

I think it is something that has been asked for before as they have them at Shambala. The toilets in the actual Kidz Field are very good, there just needs to be some in the blocks by the Pyramid or the Park etc. Maybe they think that adults would just make a mess of them?

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think it is something that has been asked for before as they have them at Shambala. The toilets in the actual Kidz Field are very good, there just needs to be some in the blocks by the Pyramid or the Park etc. Maybe they think that adults would just make a mess of them?

I was about to say that I'd hope adults would have a bit of respect and leave them for who they are intended for. Then I remembered standing begging the person at the disabled platform at Pyramid to allow me to use the toilet as I was so desperate. They quite rightly said no and upon my return from the longdrops I did go up and say sorry for being annoying.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I was about to say that I'd hope adults would have a bit of respect and leave them for who they are intended for. Then I remembered standing begging the person at the disabled platform at Pyramid to allow me to use the toilet as I was so desperate. They quite rightly said no and upon my return from the longdrops I did go up and say sorry for being annoying.

I have occasionally used disabled toilets in a pub etc. I'm not sure it's a bad thing as if there's nobody around using it then it's just a wasted facility really. I guess if someone was incontinent then they may beg to differ. I've actually tried to look up the rules and regulations on this matter, but couldn't find any firm guidance.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have occasionally used disabled toilets in a pub etc. I'm not sure it's a bad thing as if there's nobody around using it then it's just a wasted facility really. I guess if someone was incontinent then they may beg to differ. I've actually tried to look up the rules and regulations on this matter, but couldn't find any firm guidance.

Yeah to be fair in that situation I would use them if I felt the place was quiet and chances are they wouldn't be required by anyone else. However, in middle of the Pyramid field I can see why they have to say no. If you let one able bodied person use them then you'd be having everyone asking to use them.

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

In terms of at the Festival and other outdoor events specifically - keeping them free for use by legitimate users is only half the story.

The other (and often, bigger) problem is that once they're full, then they're full until they can next be emptied - and obviously in the middle of the Pyramid field, that can only realistically happen overnight or early morning as you don't want a toilet truck driving through the crowd. So allowing general use at quiet times could quite likely put them out of action during the busy times.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

In terms of at the Festival and other outdoor events specifically - keeping them free for use by legitimate users is only half the story.

The other (and often, bigger) problem is that once they're full, then they're full until they can next be emptied - and obviously in the middle of the Pyramid field, that can only realistically happen overnight or early morning as you don't want a toilet truck driving through the crowd. So allowing general use at quiet times could quite likely put them out of action during the busy times.

Hadn't thought about the emptying out aspect. Don't get me wrong though, as I do believe that the disabled toilets at outdoor events should be for disabled people only. It's just when I see an empty one in a pub or office etc then I'll occasionally use them, but only if there's no one around that needs to use them there and then.

For emergency situations I can recommend travel john type products and a large poncho or blanket for privacy.  My youngest can't hang on  and this came in handy a few times last year.  Wouldn't recommend it for adult quantities but fine for a youngster, then just pop in nearest general waste bin.

On 16/03/2017 at 11:43 AM, giantkatestacks said:

All the general waste is sorted by hand in the recycling centre, by a person. Just bear it in mind.

Ooops sorry, I only deposited two last year and  they only had a few mls of small  child pee in.  But if I ever meet you I will provide a pint of something more palatable.

On a serious note are there any bins that aren't handsorted?  We shoul  dbe ok thiis year as we are camping in Spring Ground so I'm guessing there will be medical waste bins.