2018 Festival - Glastonbury replacement

ShakeyCrash

On 3/8/2017 at 11:38 PM, Richi1988 said:

For those interested I cannot recommend Benicassim & NOS Alive highly enough.

Any questions from anybody interested in going to either and I'd be glad to help as I've been to each 4 times.

I went to Benicassim a few years ago. All I found it to be was a bunch of gigs in a car park where it's like €9 a pint. There's nothing else going on.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've tried other fests in the off-years but nothing really gives me what i want, leading me to believe that i don't particularly like music festivals.what other festival does artsy wild in a similar vein to G? has variety, different communities and vibes, good food? could be tempted to boomtown or womad i suppose but i'll likely just save up for a nice holiday :)

21 hours ago, Seldom Seen Kid said:

I'm thinking Boomtown. Just need people to go with as don't fancy doing it solo.

Speaking of Boomtown a group I camped next to at Glasto this year basically said to me if you don't do drugs there isn't much point so have that in mind. Given it's a huge Shangri La basically I'd be inclined to believe them to a point and that alcohol wouldn't be enough possibly. For the stuff I like in Shangri La I'm okay for a couple of hours, Sasha this year on Bezs bus, Earache stage...cool but no toilets in there so a queue in every time but that's different tot he rest of it but I couldn't be there for hours like and you can tell the majority in there aren't doing more than than a few drinks. A friend of mine takes them and loves it in there.

22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Speaking of Boomtown a group I camped next to at Glasto this year basically said to me if you don't do drugs there isn't much point so have that in mind.

I disagree - been there 4 times and twice have done it without any drugs. The only drugs I tend to do are psychedelic ones, which I find I have to be in the right frame of mind for so sometimes abstain. My first Boomtown was 2013, when basically everyone there was on ket. Since then it's changed a fair bit, with far more younger people going. Whilst you may think this means there's more drugs I'd probably disagree. 2014 was a bit of a nightmare, with basically everyone there being on mdma/pills (not something I do) but generally over the last couple years I think its a lot less reliant on drugs. Sure, there may be more drugs there than other festivals but there is definitely still a point in going if you don't do drugs. Just bare in mind that you will probably be in a greater minority than at Glastonbury.

Edited by rhg_99

1 minute ago, rhg_99 said:

I disagree - been there 4 times and twice have done it without any drugs. The only drugs I tend to do are psychedelic ones, which I find I have to be in the right frame of mind for so sometimes abstain. My first Boomtown was 2013, when basically everyone there was on ket. Since then it's changed a fair bit, with much more younger people going. Whilst you may think this means there's more drugs I'd probably disagree. 2014 was a bit of a nightmare, with basically everyone there being on mdma/pills (not something I do) but generally over the last couple years I think its a lot less reliant on drugs. Sure, there may be more drugs there than other festivals but there is definitely still a point in going if you don't do drugs. Just bare in mind that you will probably be in a greater minority than at Glastonbury.

I kind of get your point but you have kind of tried to defend it while still admitting that half the time you have been there it's involved drugs. I've seen the world of doing cocaine and ket 1st hand this weekend just gone and you just sleep for ages and miss loads of shit. This very much bares in mind that you don't have to do drugs there but if not of some kind you are most likely going to be out of comforts/not for you etc etc

6 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Bestival is prolly closest to glasto in terms of atmospheric theatre but if you like south east corner boomtown is tots amazing 

Those people I met also have been Bestival and said 2012/13 and maybe 14 but not so much is was great but sine then it';s not close to the great it used to be and wouldn't ever compare it now or pick over Glasto.

Just now, thewayiam said:

I kind of get your point but you have kind of tried to defend it while still admitting that half the time you have been there it's involved drugs. I've seen the world of doing cocaine and ket 1st hand this weekend just gone and you just sleep for ages and miss loads of shit. This very much bares in mind that you don't have to do drugs there but if not of some kind you are most likely going to be out of comforts/not for you etc etc

come on man, I'm 21 years old and regularly attend festivals. I think it's safe to say that for many people my age drug taking is a big part of the experience. I've been to Glastonbury 3 times and always taken something there so whilst I understand your point I dont think it's necessarily indicative of Boomtown being a festival where drugs are essential. Also, went drug-less at Boomtown 2016 and that was probably my favourite so far.

Also, whoever takes cocaine and just ''sleeps for ages'' is being sold something else.... :D

I mostly agree with you . There is definitely more of a drug scene at boomtown but it is something I have seen reduce over the last few years and I wouldnt say there is no point in attending without taking drugs. I understand your point might have been slightly hyperbolic though.

19 hours ago, glitterstorm said:

Me and my group want to go to Fusion festival - not many people seem to have heard of it, but apparently it's sometimes described as a German version of Glastonbury and/or Burning Man. They run a ballot for tickets though so they're difficult to get hold of - I entered the ballot last year and wasn't successful. Two of my friends went a couple of years ago and loved it. Wondering if anyone on here has been before?

Just looking at that Fusion fest, looks interesting, the ballot is a problem though. What's the beer situation, buy it, or can you take your own? This is one thing all of us have said we want to be able to take our own booze - we've come accustomed to it with Glasto and BT. My pal went to Lowlands last year and loved it, but trying to get beer was hard, queues and stuff, however the legal herb is a massive draw in a foreign fest.

16 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

come on man, I'm 21 years old and regularly attend festivals. I think it's safe to say that for many people my age drug taking is a big part of the experience. I've been to Glastonbury 3 times and always taken something there so whilst I understand your point I dont think it's necessarily indicative of Boomtown being a festival where drugs are essential. Also, went drug-less at Boomtown 2016 and that was probably my favourite so far.

Also, whoever takes cocaine and just ''sleeps for ages'' is being sold something else.... :D

I mostly agree with you . There is definitely more of a drug scene at boomtown but it is something I have seen reduce over the last few years and I wouldnt say there is no point in attending without taking drugs. I understand your point might have been slightly hyperbolic though.

If you read my post it says cocaine and ket.

I'm not slating you for taking it, just saying it's closer to how it is. I personally have festivalled since I was 18, 13 years close to on the scene and none of my regular attended friends touched any of it whether earlier 20's or now the latter but yes that is just us.

I'm not for exaggerating lol, although I take your point in hand that the drug scene there is reduced now, it may be fair to say that if everyone there a couple of years back was on either pills or ket then a fair majority still likely share that notion, don't get me wrong I think it probably has something to do with how Boomtown is as well as apposed to Glasto and others for example which have much more band type areas if you get my drink and people are happy to drink to some riffs shall we say as apposed to feeling spae out and in their own world.

Got the monthly plan tickets for Week 2 of Coachella to celebrate a few of our 40th birthdays. Sorted digs as well, be nice to do a festival-lite for a change.

Gonna miss G though, big style. Probably our last without the nipper - gonna be a whole different festival from now on.

It might be nice to finally do Primavera.

Or spend some time in Portugal, do NOS and then spend a week in the Algarve right afterwards.

UK festivals I'll keep an eye on what Bestival do as that wasn't a bad Glasto replacement in 2012.

Can't recommend Primavera enough, great festival set up, and added to the fact that you're staying in Barcelona it makes for an amazing experience.

Sziget was great in 2015, but the lineups have gone a bit too EDM for my liking.

Will be interesting to see how Bestival do with the move to Lulworth Castle. I think they need some serious good feedback if they're to make a success of it.

The thing I don't understand about Primavera is how is it all spaced out, can you still see bands like at a regular festival or does it take more specific planning like the Great Escape as an example. Can you see everything you want to see easily is what I'm basically saying.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Speaking of Boomtown a group I camped next to at Glasto this year basically said to me if you don't do drugs there isn't much point so have that in mind. Given it's a huge Shangri La basically I'd be inclined to believe them to a point and that alcohol wouldn't be enough possibly. For the stuff I like in Shangri La I'm okay for a couple of hours, Sasha this year on Bezs bus, Earache stage...cool but no toilets in there so a queue in every time but that's different tot he rest of it but I couldn't be there for hours like and you can tell the majority in there aren't doing more than than a few drinks. A friend of mine takes them and loves it in there.

Drugs are required for boomtown. It's mental, a lot more wild than the SE corner imo.

There's not really any music like sasha there, its more dnb/dancehall and other less mainstream dance genres. Hardly any of the mainstream stuff like house/techno. Presumably to keep the dickheads away as they don't want it yo be that type of fest

I've done at least one festival since 1999 and whilst it would be weird going a summer without one I'm seriously considering it.

I've wanted to go back to New York for a long time (last time was 2001) and my girlfriend has never been...the money I would spend on a festival would pretty much pay for me to go!

Might give Bestival a go at its new location if I do anything at all.