2018 Festival - Glastonbury replacement

ShakeyCrash

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Might go Greece, lie on the beach, drink beers, look at Ancient Greece stuff, run away from unnecessarily massive creepy crawlies, like what normal people do with their time off work.

Don't do it, it won't live up to booking 4 other festivals and trying to live a summer of love to replace Glastonbury.

Although I guess Greece is probably still quite cheap, and the ancient stuff will probably be quite interesting. For a few hours.

Let's face it, whatever we all do, we will be missing the farm. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Why not go Vegas too? Burning Man is the festival curated by the attendees isn't it basically?

Could do, but I only work a part time job and it would mean literally being a hermit for the rest of the year in order to save up for it.

It's not impossible but I'd rather just get tix to something like Boomtown where I know it'd be easy to get to and I wouldn't have to spend a fortune. Burning Man is essentially a ginormous Shangri La. The Mark Day videos on YouTube show it off quite well. Here's one of 'em:

We are undecided between Latitude or going on a nice holiday instead of a festival. By the time we have done tickets, spending money, travel, car parking, etc, I reckon we probably spend near enough £1000 between us so that could pay for a nice trip somewhere. 

Roskilde, Nos Alive or Primavera.. definitely Way Out West in Gothenburg, can recommend it even though its kinda overpriced for what you get.

Rock Wertcher seems like a interesting option as well if you want to cross off a few of the major bands off your list, but it feels like next year will be a weak one in general in Europe.

47 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Could do, but I only work a part time job and it would mean literally being a hermit for the rest of the year in order to save up for it.

It's not impossible but I'd rather just get tix to something like Boomtown where I know it'd be easy to get to and I wouldn't have to spend a fortune. Burning Man is essentially a ginormous Shangri La. The Mark Day videos on YouTube show it off quite well. Here's one of 'em:

If you can get accepted for a credit card, grab a Halifax one on 24 months interest free and they'll probably give you 13/14 months of that at 1st go. As long as you can pay it off you are sweet. I got 13 months on my 1st one then 22 months on my 2nd one which I used for America last year.

Glastonbury will probably be replace buy a trip around Devon/Cornwall or The Lakes for me as they are two areas I haven't seen enough really and it's a good week of space to do it before the majority of the kids are out.

• 3 months later...

Didn't think I was that gutted about the lack of Glasto next year but re-watching footage today and reading this thread has made me realise I definitely am :(

Wanna do Primavera but looks like it's in the middle of my uni exams. Outside of that we've said we'd probably just do a holiday instead of going to another festival, but in reality I'll probably end up deciding I haven't got the money to do anything. Couldn't really afford Glasto this year but decided to go for it seeing as it isn't on next year.

Well gutted about being home from Glasto today. Felt nice to be home yesterday for a shower and nice sleep etc but now I just wanna go back. Miss waking up in the Arcadia field and drinking with my mates all day. Miss the friends I've made at Glasto who I only see once a year when we're there. Miss seeing so many of my favourite acts in one weekend.

We did Sziget in 2012 (fallow year) and 2015 (didn't get a ticket) as part of a month-long road trip. It's brilliant, and Budapest is my fave city, but BOTH times we've been have coincided with epic heatwaves which mean the Fest was like this year's Glasto Weds for a full week each time: they are much more prepared for it though- you can camp in the shade, music starts much later, there's access in one part to the Danube and water sprays over the stages. Pretty sure that if we can convince mates to do it as well then we'll be going back next year!!

Me and my group want to go to Fusion festival - not many people seem to have heard of it, but apparently it's sometimes described as a German version of Glastonbury and/or Burning Man. They run a ballot for tickets though so they're difficult to get hold of - I entered the ballot last year and wasn't successful. Two of my friends went a couple of years ago and loved it. Wondering if anyone on here has been before?

I'm just so so sad and the fact that I have to wait 2 years makes me even sadder. I'm in Canada and I usually go to Osheaga, but my brother is getting married on that weekend next summer so i will be missing BOTH of my fav fests. 

Coachella? Deathly expensive and so pretentious but similar in "set up" 

Bonnaroo? Supposed to have amazing vibes but it seems like each year their lineup and attendance is getting worse. 

Burning man? I have to do it at some point I guess. 

I've never been so bummed out by trying to find a festival. I think I'll wait til lineups come out and pick my poison. 

I'm sorry.... but all my posts are going to be extremely sad for a while. 

17 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

We've started discussing sziget today but I have no idea what it's like. Lineups look naff but no idea what to expect outside of that

A very Glastonbury set up in terms of the range of a areas and stages, the bands you haven't heard of are generally of a really good standard and everyone is up for really dancing to whatever they find themselves at, and it has a fantastic international feel.

The promo videos are full of gorgeous young girls shaking their hair out in slow motion, but it isn't a self conscious festival, everyone is very much 'come as you are' and incredibly friendly.

2000 Trees for me. I went two years ago when I couldn't get Glastonbury tickets. For me, the line up was brilliant and perfect weather helped the experience, but even without those things it was a lovely little festival, only 5000 people I think. Fairly rock/guitar based bands.

As it's only a couple of weeks after Glastonbury I can't get time off work to go to both so next year it's a really good alternative.