Gorillaz

gmb1992

Gorillaz in theory are good

I think Damon is too far up his own backside with them and tries to push boundaries too much when live , especially at Glastonbury. The crowd want hits sharp punchy hits

not Lebanese guys wailing

if they came on with a masive back drop playing the cartoons from the video#'s belted out the hits and went.. (this is what I was hoping for when they played) it may have been OK

Really enjoyed the first listen of this. Solid album throughout, first half was flawless.

Just noticed Kasabian's album was pushed back a week at some point too, was planning on listening to that today too. I assume this was done to avoid a battle for number one in the albums chart with Humanz? Who would have won there, do we think? Tough one to call I think.

There are a few decent tracks throughout but as an album I struggle to get to the end without losing interest really.

11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Just noticed Kasabian's album was pushed back a week at some point too, was planning on listening to that today too. I assume this was done to avoid a battle for number one in the albums chart with Humanz? Who would have won there, do we think? Tough one to call I think.

Well Kasabian clearly thought Humanz would win that one :P and I probably agree - Gorillaz first album in 7 years vs. another Kasabian album.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Well Kasabian clearly thought Humanz would win that one :P and I probably agree - Gorillaz first album in 7 years vs. another Kasabian album.

Yeah I'd lean towards Gorillaz too, but I don't think it's a certainty. I suppose Kasabian are the bigger name in terms of festival slots or whatever but a lot of the people attending that are only interested in Club Foot, Fire etc and prob wouldn't even think about buying their new album. I imagine a lot more Gorillaz fans will be older album buyers.

13 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I suppose Kasabian are the bigger name in terms of festival slots or whatever but a lot of the people attending that are only interested in Club Foot, Fire etc and prob wouldn't even think about buying their new album.

That's not really true at all. They're only getting bigger with each album, last one got to number one, and the new stuff goes down really well at their shows. 

I think they'd have beaten off this Gorillaz effort (partly because its not very good), but it probably wasn't worth the bother. 

Edited by MattDavies__

44 minutes ago, Mattty said:

That, plus Brexit made for a horrible hangover that morning

Different years. The syrian orchestra last year is what i assume you're talking about. Gorillaz had a similar thing when they played a couple years before.

6 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

That's not really true at all. They're only getting bigger with each album, last one got to number one, and the new stuff goes down really well at their shows. 

I think they'd have beaten off this Gorillaz effort (partly because its not very good), but it probably wasn't worth the bother. 

Each to their own, but I've only heard the singles and I much prefer them to anything Kasabian have done in the last 10 years.

9 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

There's a big assumption there that Kasabian's album is gonna be anything more than 'not very good' itself.

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There's a big assumption there that Kasabian's album is gonna be anything more than 'not very good' itself.

Well judging from their recent showing on Jools, they're not going to slip into that awful "pushing boundaries" thing that has ruined Gorillaz' output.

Calling grammar nerds @Scruffylovemonster @bennyhana22 and anyone else. Should the possessive of Gorillaz end with an apostrophe?  Even though it doesn't end with the letter "s", it does end with a similar enough sound that I wouldn't say "Gorrilaz's"  So I think I've got it right, but I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Well judging from their recent showing on Jools, they're not going to slip into that awful "pushing boundaries" thing that has ruined Gorillaz' output.

Calling grammar nerds @Scruffylovemonster @bennyhana22 and anyone else. Should the possessive of Gorillaz end with an apostrophe?  Even though it doesn't end with the letter "s", it does end with a similar enough sound that I wouldn't say "Gorrilaz's"  So I think I've got it right, but I'm not sure.

P sure either way is acceptable. It depends for me. I'd always say Gorillaz', as Gorillaz's sounds really weird. However for other words it's different. If I was talking about football I'd say "Sanchez's goal last night was sick" as opposed to saying "Sanchez' goal", because that sounds really weird. But I can't work out what is different about the words 'Sanchez' and 'Gorillaz' to make it like that.