Gorillaz

gmb1992

Just now, zahidf said:

Noel Gallagher is at the festival introducing supersonic and is on the new gorillaz album.

If i had to guess, id say that gorillaz would play on the day he is on site.

Noel goes as a punter every year so I imagine he will be there every day 

Just now, mufcok said:

I mean I really like Elbow but that kind of comparison is staggering..

They're a big band, who are still getting number one albums, so I can see why a fan of theirs might make that comparison. They've obviously fallen off a little popularity wise lately but they'll also still pull a big crowd at the Park (although probably not as ludicrously big as Radiohead or Pulp).

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

You could cut this cake a number of ways.  Before they threw in the towel Jarvis and The Pulps were in 'couldn't get arrested' mode.  It was only a decade's worth of accumulated nostalgia that rode them up the flagpole again.

Really? Last album was received somewhat lukewarmly admittedly but they always had a certain status that elevated them above the landfill, I thought. Though the mists of time and me being a massive fan might be skewing my recollection.

1 minute ago, Half Man Half Mattress said:

Really? Last album was received somewhat lukewarmly admittedly but they always had a certain status that elevated them above the landfill, I thought. Though the mists of time and me being a massive fan might be skewing my recollection.

I'd say so.  This Is Hardcore stalled the momentum and even though they were still (sort of) headline-sized for a while, the TIH-heavy shows they played around that period seemed to pretty much turn off the casual voters.  Seem to recall them playing Seductive Barry at one such show ffs.

Then We Love Life tanked, and Island Records of whoever it was were twisting their arm to do a greatest hits.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You could cut this cake a number of ways.  Before they threw in the towel Jarvis and The Pulps were in 'couldn't get arrested' mode.  It was only a decade's worth of accumulated nostalgia that rode them up the flagpole again.

half a decade. And they were headlining fests when they jacked it.

You need better sources. :P

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

half a decade. And they were headlining fests when they jacked it.

You need better sources. :P

I'm referring specifically to nostalgia for their Britpop-era material.  So in that case I'm gonna up it to 15 years :P

Maybe headlining smaller fests?  Certainly the last time I saw them before they split they were moving back down the bills again and were supporting The Strokes at Gig on the Green.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe headlining smaller fests?  Certainly the last time I saw them before they split they were moving back down the bills again and were supporting The Strokes at Gig on the Green.

Yeah were subbing The Strokes at Reading in 2002 so had definitely taken a dip down.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe headlining smaller fests?

they did Homelands - 30,000 peeps - and Guilfest (about the same) in a year sometime later than 2000 (I forget which). .... in fact, it was the same year that the lovely Mr Cocker took a photo for me, of me standing with Chris Frantz at whichever Camden venue it was that Tom Tom Club had played that night.

So I can tell you that Jarvis's photo skills are a lot lower than whatever was the best Pulp got to. :P

Edited by eFestivals