Gorillaz

gmb1992

6 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

How many headliners have hit the Pyramid stage at that perfect moment? Few if any to my memory.

Arcade Fire were also showcasing a batch of new material that people weren't head over heels in love with, but they mixed it up a bit so there wasn't long stretches of it.  Not that that was a tour de force either.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

That people are still passionately debating this show years later validates its uniqueness either way.

That's true. FWIW, I just watched a couple of videos back and Some Kind Of Nature didn't do the record justice - guitar aside you could barely hear Lou.  Pirate Jet was fine though.

Reviews after were just as damning as opinions on here.

"not a headline band", "Gorillaz snorefare", "crowd noticeably thinning during their set", "show grinds to a halt altogether with a recital by a Syrian ensemble", the singalong attempt as "heartbreaking", "as the set wears on the question is whos still watching" etc etc

A total disaster basically. And then Damon had to come out and defend it. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Reviews after were just as damning as opinions on here.

"not a headline band", "Gorillaz snorefare", "crowd noticeably thinning during their set", "show grinds to a halt altogether with a recital by a Syrian ensemble", the singalong attempt as "heartbreaking", "as the set wears on the question is whos still watching" etc etc

A total disaster basically. And then Damon had to come out and defend it. 

There were some dissenting voices.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/damon-albarn-gorillaz-glastonbury-bowie

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Gorillaz should've been on the West Holts I suppose. Perfect for that. Thousands of people streaming out of the Pyramid Field is not a successful headliner, despite so many people enjoying it

The weird thing was that so many of their collaborators were already announced for the festival and then they stepped in very quickly after the U2 announcement... Were they supposed to be playing somewhere anyway perhaps? Secret guests at The Park maybe? I remember it all seeming very convenient how they stepped in.

I actually think had they bumped someone else up to headliner and instead put Gorillaz on the Other Stage it would have gone down amazingly well (like it down at the front of the Pyramid anyway)

4 minutes ago, Badlands said:

IIRC, they dropped Last Living Souls (stone cold banger and no mistaking) second track in and the lack of reaction from the majority of the crowd showed how much they knew of their ‘more loved’ albums.

They started with some Demon Days stuff and I remember thinking it was cracking... then getting a text from my mate who was at the back and joining the loads streaming out. Horses for courses. I'm glad it happened.

Got plenty of mates who are big into Gorillaz. We all loved it on telly, albeit quietly after a big curry and a few joints.

The Pyramid headline is a tough nut to crack isn't it? There's more than one way to get it right, but they all seem to involve getting the connection with the crowd at large. If you don't do that, you'll get branded as a bit of a failure.

• Upvote 1

Fair play, Some Kind Of Nature and Melancholy Hill are great tunes - as as some of their older ones -  hope there are a couple as good on the new record. I'd see them, if there was nothing else on I'd rather see on at same time (just another guy who didn't get their 2010 performance)