Gorillaz

gmb1992

36 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

i still regret my decision to stay for the whole Gorrilaz set rather than escaping early to see Flaming Lips

If it makes you feel any better I watched Echo & The Bunnymen over Blur the year before 2010. Still my biggest ever Glasto regret. 

Edited by BlackHole2006

Not my thing so didn't go. Filled a last minute booking so can't complain.

In the days of YouTube and Spotify I can never understand why people go to see an act and then are shocked to discover it's not for them. 

Either way. If play prob a westholts headline but unlikely 

Edited by danbailey80

3 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

If it makes you feel any better I watched Echo & The Bunnymen over Blur the year before 2010. Still my biggest ever Glasto regret. 

Well if it makes you feel any better I was at black eyed peas at that point. Not even my biggest Glastonbury regret...

34 minutes ago, Tables innit said:

Was convinced by the missus (a massive Damon fan) to watch Gorillaz.  

Was gutted I had missed Flaming Lips.

Still not forgiven her.

My fella was a Gorillaz fan so missed out of Flaming Lips but tbh I didn't know them that well at the time so let it go

other killers (but enjoyed who I watched)

Chic over Portishead, Loved chic but never seen Portishead before

Muse over Sigur Ros,thankfully seeing them in September 

11 hours ago, verrymerry said:

Flaming Lips!!!  I nearly* cried when I watched their set on iPlayer at home

*Ok I did, but I was probably exhausted!

it's ok I cry after every festival......... and sad movies but only when I am on my own

My decision to leave and head round to the Flaming Lips was a good one. 

Gorillaz would probably work for Damon fanboys in a smaller setting I suppose. But its not a stadium show. The atmosphere was as flat as I can remember. Damon making the journey further into his own hole. 

30 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Gorillaz would probably work for Damon fanboys in a smaller setting I suppose. But its not a stadium show. The atmosphere was as flat as I can remember. Damon making the journey further into his own hole. 

Dreamland is definitely not a stadium, it's a few tired old rides on a gravel car park. Think of the travelling fair from Father Ted, but without the Spider Baby

Just for some customary balance from all the whining...

All the sods that missed Blur the previous year got their chance to have a go didnt they?? Something they relish to this day. :D

So 1000's left after a couple tunes grumbling "This is shite!" to themselves. :thumbsu: Arsed.

Damon did feel imperious as a result of the triumph of '09 and thus o'ereached considerably at times on the night. It could never compare to the previous year and I think this is the basis of most of the ire on here and elsewhere about this show. But on its own merits (bar the whale song SNAFU) the gig was as unique a show as we've seen at the festival.

Those that were there for this know how it kicked off. I was miles back but people around me went seven shades of apeshit. As high a peak as any I can remember from the 20 or so Pyramid headliners ive seen.

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I like Flaming Lips.

But Wayne Coyne can't half talk some shite too.

I've got to weigh in here with Wooderson, I wasn't there for the start, we wandered round a way in, but it was great. Problem is, everyone moans and says there's nothing unique at festivals, that it's just bands touring, Gorillaz put on this, a phenomenal lineup of guests etc. Mark E Smith, Lou fucking Reed! Bobby Womack, Shaun Ryder, Snoop etc and everyone moans cos it's not hits hits hits. I say more of this sort of thing.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mardy said:

I've got to weigh in here with Wooderson, I wasn't there for the start, we wandered round a way in, but it was great. Problem is, everyone moans and says there's nothing unique at festivals, that it's just bands touring, Gorillaz put on this, a phenomenal lineup of guests etc. Mark E Smith, Lou fucking Reed! Bobby Womack, Shaun Ryder, Snoop etc and everyone moans cos it's not hits hits hits. I say more of this sort of thing.

Half the fucking Clash played that show.

But we all want fucking Who back again Mardy don't we?

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Agree. Much rather a show like this where people experiment with new things and there's genuine highs than a safe bland set like The Who or Kanye served up. 

Also want to echo @Wooderson... it went CRAZY for that encore. The pop was huge. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Agree. Much rather a show like this where people experiment with new things and there's genuine highs than a safe bland set like The Who or Kanye served up. 

Also want to echo @Wooderson... it went CRAZY for that encore. The pop was huge. 

I'd say Kanye did the opposite of a safe set; it was really polarising. 

9 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

I'd say Kanye did the opposite of a safe set; it was really polarising. 

True. Thousands of people left that one aswell. Seems to happen every 4-5 years at the festival. One before that was Oasis in 2004. 

Gorillaz should've been on the West Holts I suppose. Perfect for that. Thousands of people streaming out of the Pyramid Field is not a successful headliner, despite so many people enjoying it

Edited by The Nal

I agree that it would have worked a lot better in a smaller field, where you're less likely to have people leave because Gorilaz played Gorillaz songs in the style of Gorillaz rather than asking everyone if they're alright every five minutes.

Yeah, the Pirate Jet thing was rubbish and apparently Womack missed a cue before ultimately delivering a blistering vocal, but other than that the music was spot on - if you like Gorillaz.  I'm always going to be baffled how so many people can turn up to a Gorillaz gig and be disappointed with Gorillaz music?  I've watched it back a few times, and the music was played well, with some nice improvements, like the brass in Broken and guitar in Stylo.

Actually, funny the Oasis gig has come up - I thought it was fine. They might have looked miserable, but the music was alright.  They had stripped back some of the changes to the arrangements that had crept in over the years and were playing the songs like the records, E.g. doing the drums in Supersonic properly.

A good atmosphere will always elevate a performance for me, but I don't think I'm ever going to flounce off from seeing a band playing songs I know and like without fucking it up, even if they do look as miserable as sin and make the cardinal sin of getting on with the tunes rather than acting like a Butlins redcoat.

After all, it's the music that's most important isn't it?  Isn't it?

But as a counterpoint, I'm not massive familiar with New Order and the stinky atmosphere on stage ruined their 2005 gig for me.  I've no idea how well they played the songs.  So to bring it back to the start, I suppose the greater the familiarity of the crowd with the material, the more the music aspect matters relative to the showmanship.  I really love Gorillaz recorded output, particularly the 2nd and 3rd records, so I was never going to be put off by an aloof presentation.

Question for the majority who hated it and left - were you actually into the band, or just wandering over in the hope of a spectacle?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm always going to be baffled how so many people can turn up to a Gorillaz gig and be disappointed with Gorillaz music?

Probably because they chose to showcase a downbeat new album that - unlike their previous albums - didn't connect with wide numbers of people.

Any band that does that is heading for a stumble.

Also – the revolving cast of star guests is just window dressing – it’s nice, but ultimately meaningless if it’s not in service to something that people want to hear.

“Lou Reed was there!”

“Ah cool.  What went down?”

“He did an unloved album track from a generally unloved album and went off again”

“Oh”

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably because they chose to showcase a downbeat new album that - unlike their previous albums - didn't connect with wide numbers of people.

Any band that does that is heading for a stumble.

How many headliners have hit the Pyramid stage at that perfect moment? Few if any to my memory.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Also – the revolving cast of star guests is just window dressing – it’s nice, but ultimately meaningless if it’s not in service to something that people want to hear.

“Lou Reed was there!”

“He did an unloved album track from a generally unloved album and went off again”

“Oh”

I have to admit, the guitar on that performance was  bit ropey.  But I think it's a bit weird to criticise a badn with only three albums from playing stuff of their latest album because the album is "unloved"  WTF did people expect?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

“Lou Reed was there!”

“Oh”

Anyone who doesn't love Plastic Beach can fight me tbh. I'll defend that album endlessly.

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1