Gorillaz

gmb1992

8 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Gorillaz are putting on a festival in Margate a couple of weeks before Glasto. 

I personally would love to see them but am in the old "do I wait to see if they play Glasto?" situation.

Do people think they could be on the lineup? 

No. One of the worst headliners of all time when they played before. Thousands and thousands left. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

Gorillaz are putting on a festival in Margate a couple of weeks before Glasto. 

I personally would love to see them but am in the old "do I wait to see if they play Glasto?" situation.

Do people think they could be on the lineup? 

Should probably go Margate if you wanna see them.

Damon obviously has a good relationship with the festival and it's possible they could appear but what with them headlining last time and apparently not doing any proper festivals in 2017 then I wouldn't bank on it as it's more likely you'd miss 'em completely.

I thought they did well with only a months notice to do it, took some risks and they didn't pay off unfortunately. The highs of the sit were brilliant, shame there were so many lows. They got Mark E Smith on the pyramid stage messing with Mick Jones and Paul Simonon's amps, that has to count for something.

There were some undeniable high points, but a hell of a lot of low points as well. That attempted singalong for Pirate Jet being the lowest. 

If he'd been a bit more interactive with the crowd inbetween songs and if Mos had been there, it may have been a different story.

So many memories. But two that stick out are:

1) The Fall:

“they barred us for ten years and then when they invite us back we’re supporting the fucking Levellers” (not quite verbatim I fear, but near enough)

2) Me and my brother having a piss at the urinal overlooking the Pyramid Stage, north west (over the couple of planks that spanned the ditch; when the urinals were out in the open).

Me: “ We’re stood here having a piss and Lou Reed is just over there, knocking out Satellite of Love, for our entertinment”

Brother: “aye”

We shared a glance or two during the Gorillaz set in 2010. I seem to remember quite enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HowdyBoss said:

We shared a glance or two during the Gorillaz set in 2010. I seem to remember quite enjoying it.

Loads did enjoy it and the encore was great but there were just a few moments (like Pirate Jet singalong) that didn't work and stick out. Not sure the botched start helped - I'm sure there were technical problems or something and they had to restart the intro? 

I saw them in November that year though where Damon interacted more and put a couple more 'hits' early on and they were properly practiced and much smoother. That would have gone down a lot better but I enjoyed their Glastonbury set a lot nonetheless.

Enjoyed the 2010 set, remember that they were stand ins for U2 so prep time wasn't great.

Topped off a perfect sunny Friday. Probably helped I was familiar with the Plastic Beach album though, which the set mainly was.

They won't be there this year but it would be great to hear this again. Such a tune.

• Upvote 2