Subheadliners 2017

Matt42

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

http://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/ed-sheeran-s-on-pace-to-surpass-500-000-opening-week-sales/067727

He's currently on course for the third fastest selling album of all time which is pretty damn impressive to be fair and I think streaming has played a part in that (hence why it was released on youtube) it's just that there's less money in it. It is hard to gauge though, but I'd have to disagree. If the internet was around in the 90s (like it is now) Oasis probably would have sold even more albums. 

Well yes that's what I mean, 'fastest selling album of all time' is an almost-meaningless statistic because of how rapidly and constantly the music industry changes - each of The Beatles' albums would obviously have sold way in excess of a million copies first week if they'd had the marketing tools available to the likes of Sheeran. I'm just saying that if Ed had every advantage he has of being around in 2017, and the album as a format hadn't significantly declined in every demographic except Mums, he'd be on track for over a million first week

:)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

That is some depressing reading. I cannot understand why he's so popular. That rag'n'bone song is starting to grate my stones as well. Can't go anywhere without that turning up.

It can't be denied that Glastonbury are damn lucky that he loves the festivals, gets it and for him it's a huge deal. He could easily have chosen to just do loads more dates instead. I actually think he could have sold out Wembley 3 times over again off the back of this album.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It can't be denied that Glastonbury are damn lucky that he loves the festivals, gets it and for him it's a huge deal. He could easily have chosen to just do loads more dates instead. I actually think he could have sold out Wembley 3 times over again off the back of this album.

He will do, next summer, I'm sure.

Subbing is the perfect spot for Elbow, they're a big draw and they've got perfect sunset tunes. 

... but they play the same slot every three years it's a bit boring now. They're not gonna beat their sub set in 2011 (which is apparently Garvey's favorite Elbow gig) do they should try elsewhere at least. They're never gonna headline. They're surely not hasbeen enough to open other?

40 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Subbing is the perfect spot for Elbow, they're a big draw and they've got perfect sunset tunes. 

... but they play the same slot every three years it's a bit boring now. They're not gonna beat their sub set in 2011 (which is apparently Garvey's favorite Elbow gig) do they should try elsewhere at least. They're never gonna headline. They're surely not hasbeen enough to open other?

If they don't open Other, I'm going to stick with my original idea of them being Other stage sub with Royal Blood 3rd on the Pyramid.  It would still be a sunset slot but more appropriate for them now.

For better or for worse Elbow are a Glastonbury house band like Coldplay and friends of the festival, that gets them a higher slot than otherwise might be justified, and easily sees them subbing again, on the Friday. If GG suggests that 2014 was his best ever gig, he might howeve actually suggest they don't do it because they won't be able to top it.

Hmm 

been thinking about something and I want you lot to help me with it.

considering elbow can only do Friday - and I'm becoming quite certain in my mind they are gonna be Friday sub.

that means that the XX aren't subbing Radiohead... and... I can't see the XX playing under foo fighters... so they have gotta be under Ed on the Sunday providing it's known they are on the pyramid stage (which I think is right)

I can't see someone like the weeknd subbing foo fighters.. so that's probably the weeknd not playing (considering I think he's a sub or nothing)

so by my logic that frees up another sub slot for the foos... and if they are getting this humongous set then I can't see the sat sub being that huge.

heck by that logic it makes someone like kaiser chiefs more likely... (but I'm not convinced they will actually be subbing).

but surely the subs will be stronger than Elbow, The Kaiser Chiefs, The XX... surely they can bag bigger than that!

or maybe elbow aren't subbing... which might switch things up a bit.

I guess it's still all up in the air

At least Elbow's latest album went to number one.

When was the last time the Kaiser Chiefs even had a hit, 2008/9.

I've long thought the Weeknd would be at Glastonbury this year, so I'm going to go with him, the XX and Elbow.

Lady Gaga would be excellent but where would she play?

Take Elbow out of the sub equation and it all makes sense. I know they're a bit of a house band but I don't believe Glastonbury would be as uninspiring as to book them to sub that many times in such short succession. It's not like they're Coldplay who, shite constant booking or not, come back with a totally different show and selection of songs/hits with two new albums between performances - they will've released as many albums as they have subbed, with One Day Like This remaining the only real 'hit' from a nine year old album. Other opener! Or even third down on the Pyramid. Just not the cherished Radiohead sub spot.

I hope so, I respect Elbow as a friend of the festival but it would just be such a boring booking.

Taking them out of it, something just says to me The Weeknd as an Other headliner rather than a Pyramid sub.

Kaisers has always just seemed like a bizarre rumour.. the Foos set length obviously adding more weight to it but despite a resurgence they just aren't that big now.

Which leaves me with The XX - NGHFB - Lady GaGa of the options doing the rounds.

(Please just give me GaGa. Also keen to see Royal Blood but not certain of where they'll be. Quite happy for them to be third down or Other Sub on the Friday)

Kaisers isn't going to be as far fetched as we think - they sold more tickets on their last UK tour (the arena dates just done) than Foals did, or Tame Impala, or Beck, on a nationwide level (arguably only Foals are comparable because of dates though).

They don't fit with the idea of it being "two years worth of music in one" - because that indicates mega-selling acts. 

But this is a band who have the commercially viable catalogue - and feel-good factor - to serve as a Pyramid sub. They're competent live performers, and if only going for an hour, have more than enough recognisable songs to tickle a crowd's fancy.

Perhaps the argument stems from that a sub act should be someone growing in commercial stature - which aligns with Foals and Tame Impala last year. But then take Primal Scream in '13, or Paul Weller in '15 (both of whom were headliner-inclusive deals, I think?)- neither of them have been growing in commercial stature for the best part of a decade.

I don't think they will sub - but if they were announced to play directly before Foo Fighters on Saturday night, it would not surprise me in the slightest.

I agree that Kaiser Chiefs are far more likely but has anyone considered Biffy Clyro?

They're currently touring; there'a a glastonbury shaped hole in their schedule; they would be perfect before Foos; did a secret set in 2010 and played 3rd on pyramid to quite a big crowd in 2011; they're always doing the rounds but seem to have missed Glasto on the last 2 albums; and it would fit worth the "2 years worth of music in 1".

Ok they would probably want to headline but they seem to have been missed out by Glasto over the last couple of years and you could argue that maybe they're still not quite big enough for it? Especially as their last album was white average in my opinion and they aren't bonafide headliners elsewhere other than the UK. They also probably wouldn't want to do a shortened set, so Foos doing 3 hours maybe makes it less likely.

Just a thought!

Edited by DL50

For sub headliners, I always think ticket sales and raw popularity shouldn't be as important. Booking an act that compliments the headliner, or giving a younger act a leg up should be the priority. Elbow and Kaiser's would be such wastes as far as that slot goes. Hell, I think Royal Blood are pants but they would be a much better choice to sub Foo Fighters.

Edited by jparx