hotel or camp? first time goer

I'm thinking about going to Leeds festival this year, but since I have yet to go to an actual festival (and keeping in mind that this one is quite huge with an enormous audience intake) I feel a bit uneasy about staying at a campsite. And, regarding toilets and hygiene over all I do believe a hotel might benefit me. But how does it work with entrance passes, and is there any difficulties with booking, i.e do I still take a weekend camping ticket or are day tickets better? Is it worth grabbing a taxi to and from the festival each day?

Also it would be my first time at a festival so any tips at all are more than welcome!

Camping is of course a more complete experience, but bare in mind (depending where you camp)  the conditions can be very rowdy and frankly hideous. If you're worried about that then consider camping in the fields furthest away from the arena for a nicer relaxed atmosphere. 

I couldn't Imagine not camping, but that's 6 years of going and learning to love it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 10:57 PM, bexj said:

Bramham Park is miles from anywhere, good luck with finding a hotel!

when I spotted the topic matter I had assumed they were on about Reading although the nearest Hotel is block booked by the BBC.

if I was a first timer I would not pick either Reading or Leeds. 

As suggested above, just camp furthest away - Brown is the quietest campsite at Leeds, in terms of both numbers (fairly sparsely populated so you get plenty of room) and the atmosphere - no campsite dj and the campers themselves are fairly quiet as most have gone there deliberately to avoid the noisier sites.  The toilets are quieter and cleaner too, and its not too far from the entrance gate if you're coming by car.

The downside is the walk to and from the arena, which can be over 30 minutes when its busy and/or muddy - but its manageable.

14 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

when I spotted the topic matter I had assumed they were on about Reading although the nearest Hotel is block booked by the BBC.

if I was a first timer I would not pick either Reading or Leeds. 

There's loads of Hotels in Reading that have shorter walks than some campsites, even with the new elongated entrances.

You really need to be booking them by October latest though, when theyre cheaper than the 'posh' camping on site AND much closer walk wise