drop off points

glastolover19

Hey folks,has anyone used the drop off/pick up points? Reason I'm asking is a buddy offered me a lift to site on the Wednesday as he works in Street. Originally I was going to drive but would rather not if can avoid it as one less thing to worry about plus I've already been offered lift out on Monday so seems silly to drive and in keeping with green ethos this seems better idea. Any advice/experience welcome :)

It's worth mentioning that the past few years, the only official Drop Off point has been located at the Bath & West Showgrounds, which is located the exact opposite side of the Festival to Street - so to reach it he'll either have to drive right past the Festival site and potentially get caught in the worst of the Festival traffic, or do a long loop round to avoid the vicinity entirely. Nobody expects the problems of last year to repeat themselves to the same extent, but it's still worth minimising the risk of hitting traffic.

If you're approaching from the West, you may find that driving is the easier option as the roads on that side of the site don't seem to suffer quite as many problems in bad traffic years. Either that, or get your friend to drop you off in Glastonbury Town Centre, and then catch the hourly shuttle bus to the Festival site.

25 minutes ago, incident said:

It's worth mentioning that the past few years, the only official Drop Off point has been located at the Bath & West Showgrounds, which is located the exact opposite side of the Festival to Street - so to reach it he'll either have to drive right past the Festival site and potentially get caught in the worst of the Festival traffic, or do a long loop round to avoid the vicinity entirely. Nobody expects the problems of last year to repeat themselves to the same extent, but it's still worth minimising the risk of hitting traffic.

If you're approaching from the West, you may find that driving is the easier option as the roads on that side of the site don't seem to suffer quite as many problems in bad traffic years. Either that, or get your friend to drop you off in Glastonbury Town Centre, and then catch the hourly shuttle bus to the Festival site.

To be honest I think I'll end up driving myself,which is a shame as could get there and back but it seems such a hassle. I have never understood why they can't do a drop off on perimeter of car parks then offer shuttle service to festival or even just walk it. Oh well anyone need lift share from Yeovil area give me a shout :)

18 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I have never understood why they can't do a drop off on perimeter of car parks then offer shuttle service to festival or even just walk it.

That doesn't sound feasible to be honest. The entrances to the Car Parks can be enough of a bottleneck as it is, and that's with them operating as one-way only. Having say even 1 in 50 cars stopping, pulling off to the side for a bit, then turning around and going back the other way could only make things worse. Keeping the drop-off point well away from the site is done for a reason - I think the best hope would be for a second drop-off point well away from the site on the western approaches - somewhere on the A39 would make sense if a suitable spot could be found. But I don't know whether the potential demand would justify doing that.

1 hour ago, incident said:

That doesn't sound feasible to be honest. The entrances to the Car Parks can be enough of a bottleneck as it is, and that's with them operating as one-way only. Having say even 1 in 50 cars stopping, pulling off to the side for a bit, then turning around and going back the other way could only make things worse. Keeping the drop-off point well away from the site is done for a reason - I think the best hope would be for a second drop-off point well away from the site on the western approaches - somewhere on the A39 would make sense if a suitable spot could be found. But I don't know whether the potential demand would justify doing that.

It just seems silly that if coming from west you have to go past site to get to drop off,so just from a green prospective it's silly. I'm sure you could do something on say the outskirts of pink gates or even slightly further. I think it could be done but perhaps the demand is not there

Can't you just get your mate to stop the car.. You jump out quickly and he goes on his way... If your fair should be ok

I do realise before I get grief from others that if everyone was to do this it would be a nightmare.. 

36 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Can't you just get your mate to stop the car.. You jump out quickly and he goes on his way... If your fair should be ok

I do realise before I get grief from others that if everyone was to do this it would be a nightmare.. 

I could and the temptation is there but I don't want to be the d!ckhead that I usually moan about each year when traffic held up lol. I think it's looking likely I'm just going to be driving myself,no biggie just trying to be green and save an extra 50quid for the cider bus :)

8 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

I have seen this happened loads of times as after all no matter what day there is always a queue of cars not moving  ' at some point on the road ' - and as you write ' they have to be quick ' although I have seen cars pull over and then spend ages unpacking ' completely ignoring all the angry horns being blasted ' - one year I spotted a girl being dropped off - she was fast - in fact too fast - as her Mother drove away - the girl left her bag/tent on the ground and started chasing after the car shouting ' Mummy ' - I had to move at that point as I was being directed into the crew car park so cant say if she was able to stop her Mum and retrieve what ever she had left .

I find with Glastonbury it makes sense just to follow the rules. { well most of the time } 

To be honest, as far as the 'green ethos' goes, the difference between going by car to the drop off, then shuttle bus, and just driving to the car parks, is pretty minimal, even if you're coming from the south or east. Have you considered a train from Pen Mill station to Castle Cary? Only takes about 15 minutes, and then shuttle to site from the station. 

28 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

To be honest, as far as the 'green ethos' goes, the difference between going by car to the drop off, then shuttle bus, and just driving to the car parks, is pretty minimal, even if you're coming from the south or east. Have you considered a train from Pen Mill station to Castle Cary? Only takes about 15 minutes, and then shuttle to site from the station. 

The reason I consider it greener is that a buddy works just outside of street so will be passing within peeing distance of site so was looking for him to drop me off on way and also been offered return lift on Monday so theoretically I wouldn't have to take my car at all. I have done the train route twice before and there is no way I'd do it again,total nightmare both times. 

27 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

The reason I consider it greener is that a buddy works just outside of street so will be passing within peeing distance of site so was looking for him to drop me off on way and also been offered return lift on Monday so theoretically I wouldn't have to take my car at all. I have done the train route twice before and there is no way I'd do it again,total nightmare both times. 

Fair enough, I guess if he's driving past anyway then that does up the green factor! I live not far from you, but I've not actually tried the train, just thought it might be worth considering. If he gives you a lift, would that be from Yeovil? If so, his best bet would probably be to drop you at Bath&West, then head back down to the A303, west a bit, and back up to Street. Longer journey, but better than sitting in traffic and probably being late for work.

28 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Fair enough, I guess if he's driving past anyway then that does up the green factor! I live not far from you, but I've not actually tried the train, just thought it might be worth considering. If he gives you a lift, would that be from Yeovil? If so, his best bet would probably be to drop you at Bath&West, then head back down to the A303, west a bit, and back up to Street. Longer journey, but better than sitting in traffic and probably being late for work.

It's looking likely I'm just going to drive myself,had looked into b+w drop off but it's just it seems so silly driving past then coming back on yourself. As far as traffic I have always seemed to be lucky,think the longest ever queued was 20mins in 10+ trips. Just trying to up my green credentials lol sod it I'll just drive the Hummer lol but thanks for advice :)

Seriously though unless it's dramatically changed,the trains were horrible,so freaking crammed and I'm fairly certain it's always taken longer on train/bus then does to drive straight in. 

• 2 weeks later...