Taking a Baby to the Farm

dj matt james

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just going to be a different Glastonbury. 

We took our nine month old in 2010. Obviously we had the advantage of the weather. We had booked a very nearby B and B, and went down Thursday afternoon and went straight to the B and B. We were all on site early on the Friday and had a lovely day, but my wife and daughter went back to the BnB early evening and gave me a party night with mates (which was jolly decent of her). On the Friday we all spent the day on site. I headed back at 6ish settled the baby and left her with a babysitter (local family friend) and then headed back. We were back at the BnB at about 2am. Next day we all spent the day on site, but left at 7pm. We settled the baby and watched the last couple of hours on TV with a bottle of wine. 

For all those who want to say "that's not really Glastonbury, is it" I don't care. I had a really nice year.

The great thing is that at that age they can't walk off.

Having said all of that - my daughter won't be going back to Glastonbury until she's 16 and can fend for herself. 

I think it all comes down to how selfish you are. Glastonbury with my six year old would be an entirely different festival to the one I have always enjoyed. So I choose to leave her and my partner at home. 

I do take her to a second festival each year though (have tried Shambala, Latitude and Camp Bestival in preference order) and also get in a villa/pool holiday which if i'm honest is probably her favourite of all at her age. Hoping that changes. 

Hope you have a great festival whatever you decide.

Edited by OBface

Some great stories about past experiences. I've seen families having a wail of a time and also the complete opposite. I think that we will try a scaled down approach with the safety net of living in shepton to fall back on. As time has gone on the line up appeals less and less to me (I'm getting old!!!) so missing out on headliners isn't such an issue anymore. 

Hopefully the in-laws will look after the little one for at least Saturday night so we can have a bit of a blow out. 

I'm still praying to the pagan god of weather for a dry June....

28 minutes ago, lukemack said:

Every year I always see a few parents who look like there going through hell struggling with toddlers :lol: taking an actual baby would seem to be 10x more difficult

Nah babies are your sweet spot. Sleep anywhere, can't move and can't moan. 

Just thought I'd add our experience here - couldn't agree more with those who have said it'll be different but in our experience, still wonderful taking little ones. We'll be taking our 8 month old little guy this year and I have no worries at all (comfy sling and ear defenders and we're good to go!) having previously taken our daughter at 10 months and 22 months (when she slept through the stones!) It's different but you'll see a totally different side to the festival. Sure I feel a bit jealous about missing out when our friends head to late night areas or into the heart of crowds but it's also pushed us to explore and try things we otherwise wouldn't have (like late night comedy tents etc). I would have felt really guilty leaving our daughter at that age but I don't judge those who do, and we made sure we spent time in the kids tents where there was carpet/flooring for her to crawl on - you just have to work out whatever works best for you. I am however fearful of how tough it's going to be this year with a 4 and a half year old!! 

On 3/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, GlastoAwe said:

Just thought I'd add our experience here - couldn't agree more with those who have said it'll be different but in our experience, still wonderful taking little ones. We'll be taking our 8 month old little guy this year and I have no worries at all (comfy sling and ear defenders and we're good to go!) having previously taken our daughter at 10 months and 22 months (when she slept through the stones!) It's different but you'll see a totally different side to the festival. Sure I feel a bit jealous about missing out when our friends head to late night areas or into the heart of crowds but it's also pushed us to explore and try things we otherwise wouldn't have (like late night comedy tents etc). I would have felt really guilty leaving our daughter at that age but I don't judge those who do, and we made sure we spent time in the kids tents where there was carpet/flooring for her to crawl on - you just have to work out whatever works best for you. I am however fearful of how tough it's going to be this year with a 4 and a half year old!! 

as my partner was pregnant last year we missed out on the late night stuff and I didn't find it as hard as I thought. I did treat myself to one blow out at the williams green soul night on the saturday though. 

We had a baby 12 days ago. We had planned Glastonbury since finding out we were having her and then got lucky with tickets.

The plan is to go IF the 4/5 days leading up to it are reasonably dry. I can hack rain and a bit of mud at the festival, but if it's a downpour for days leading up to it, and it looks like being anywhere near as bad as last year, the wife and baby sadly won't make it.

Our baby will be 3 months old and we're madly excited to take her. Yes it's going to be challenging and tiring, but I find that the festival is those things anyway! My wife is breastfeeding well, which is a big help, so it's really the logistics of taking what we need, preparing for a bit of wild weather etc.

This will be my 7th Glastonbury and it will be different from the rest, but in a hugely amazing way. I understand many will think we're mad, but I want it to be part of her life the way it has mine - roll on June!

On 13/03/2017 at 8:58 AM, dj matt james said:

as my partner was pregnant last year we missed out on the late night stuff and I didn't find it as hard as I thought. I did treat myself to one blow out at the williams green soul night on the saturday though. 

Ah we enjoyed a night at Williams Green (or the edge of!) with our daughter asleep in her buggy, just had to reign in the drinking a little! 

Took my ten month old last year. Campervan. Was fine, spent most of the first few days in the kids field/organic wine bar. 

Then having rellies  in Shepton he went there Friday afternoon. My missus then went to see him each morning whilst I was still sleeping off my hangovers. 

He's coming again this year. Was going to be very convenient, but recently gazumped on a property in Pilton, so will be in van again in all likelihood! 

Edited by Ohinever