Taking a Baby to the Farm

dj matt james

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

Also I can't remember what year but it was recently I remember a story of a women who went in pregnant,went into labour thurs or Fri,got taken to Yeovil hospital,gave birth and was back on site next day with baby. I'll Google it later but if anyone says your kid is too young you can say "well not really"

ha I met that woman and her baby, was years ago 04 / 05 she was lovely baby was happy, she was a hairy armpitted hippy type (joking) she was a lovely lady I was amazed when she was telling me what had happened.

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

ha I met that woman and her baby, was years ago 04 / 05 she was lovely baby was happy, she was a hairy armpitted hippy type (joking) she was a lovely lady I was amazed when she was telling me what had happened.

that is pretty full on.... 

'hairy armpitted' :D

Small babies are a piece of cake IMO. Peltor ear defenders and a sling (as my comrade @Chazeboy points out) are a must.

Bringing bigger kids (last year a mare with my 2 1/2 year old loon of son) not so straightforward.

Edited by Wooderson

Just now, Wooderson said:

Small babies are a piece of cake IMO. Peltor ear defenders and a sling (as my comrade @Chazeboy points out) are a must.

Bringing bigger kids (last year a mare with my 2 1/2 year old loon of son) not so straightforward.

that is what I am thinking - just praying for dry weather now.

Just now, dj matt james said:

that is what I am thinking - just praying for dry weather now.

Yes indeed Matt. Last year I never got past the railway line. Pushing his buggy through the mud around the circus field was a disaster so we didnt bother.

Cockmill's proximity to the kids field makes it fill up fast. Think @Mardy verified for me it was full last year by midday (?)

We arrived in Wicket quite late (8pm?) on the Wednesday however and there was tonnes of room.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Yes indeed Matt. Last year I never got past the railway line. Pushing his buggy through the mud around the circus field was a disaster so we didnt bother.

Cockmill's proximity to the kids field makes it fill up fast. Think @Mardy verified for me it was full last year by midday (?)

We arrived in Wicket quite late (8pm?) on the Wednesday however and there was tonnes of room.

We usually camp in Kidney mead. Never really paid much attention to the kids areas - guess that will change this year.

5 hours ago, dj matt james said:

Good morning campers...

My daughter will be nearly nine months in June and we have been let down by pretty much all of our babysitting options. We live in Shepton and were going to come and go in to the festival a fair bit but this could be difficult if the weather isn't great and the roads are busy. Another option we are toying with is to try and get a camper van ticket and stay in the van. We both prefer camping and being in the thick of it but this wouldn't be fair on the little one. How easy is it to come and go with a little one from the camper field? I've walked out that way a few times and it doesn't seem that far to walk. Also are there plenty of toilets out in the camper van fields?

Have a great weekend folks....

Good on you, I say. We didn't take our little one when she was five months (we gave the whole thing a miss as we really weren't sure how she'd be), but regretted it afterwards, as she would have been fine.

Took her to Wychwood at four/five months (didn't camp), 2000 Trees when she was six/seven months (first camping festival) and it was great, Reading at seven months and then did her first Glasto when she was 17 months and she just loved them all. So long as the tent is set up okay we haven't had a problem.

There are cracking changing/feeding facilities in the Kidz Field, so we stayed around there when the time was right, and we carry our little one, which made life a lot easier (I can't imagine trying to get a pram/pushchair around in the mud!). Took lots of fruit and veg (when she was a bit older and not just boobin' it), lots of wet wipes, kept lots of water around etc etc and she was fine.

Did we do exactly as we wanted? No. But so long as you go with that understanding, you can still have a blast! :)

20 minutes ago, pogal said:

Good on you, I say. We didn't take our little one when she was five months (we gave the whole thing a miss as we really weren't sure how she'd be), but regretted it afterwards, as she would have been fine.

Took her to Wychwood at four/five months (didn't camp), 2000 Trees when she was six/seven months (first camping festival) and it was great, Reading at seven months and then did her first Glasto when she was 17 months and she just loved them all. So long as the tent is set up okay we haven't had a problem.

There are cracking changing/feeding facilities in the Kidz Field, so we stayed around there when the time was right, and we carry our little one, which made life a lot easier (I can't imagine trying to get a pram/pushchair around in the mud!). Took lots of fruit and veg (when she was a bit older and not just boobin' it), lots of wet wipes, kept lots of water around etc etc and she was fine.

Did we do exactly as we wanted? No. But so long as you go with that understanding, you can still have a blast! :)

I think if we are prepared and take it steady it could be a great experience. A big majority of our group that go have kids, albeit older kids and their kids are all now fairly well rounded festival wise kids. 

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I fully understand why you'd want to take your kid (cos I wanted to take mine), but at that age there's not really much enjoyment for the kid, and it does put big limits what you're able to do. If you can manage it, I suggest trying to persuade a grannie or whoever to take on a weekend's babysitting, and save the struggles with the kid for the years when the kid will get more from it.

I'm all for letting kids discover music and festivals but I think Neil has put it well.  I suspect that taking a nine month old is really about the parents' desire to still go to the festival and not about giving the babe a 'festival experience.'  A couple of years on things will be different.

There are some great festivals for kids - from toddlers to teens - but please make sure wherever you go that the kids come first.

1 hour ago, dj matt james said:

I think if we are prepared and take it steady it could be a great experience. A big majority of our group that go have kids, albeit older kids and their kids are all now fairly well rounded festival wise kids. 

Exactly. So long as little one is happy, and you're prepared to sacrifice some things you might want to do, then everyone can have a great time! You can always leave if it gets too much.

2010 -> Mrs was 3 months pregnant, a toughie in the heat

2011 -> 6 month old, was ok

2013 -> 2 1/2 year old, Mrs 4 months pregnant with #2, not the worst as she slept through the Stones

2014 -> another 6 month old, was ok

2015 -> 1 1/2 year old, was ok

2016 -> 2 1/2 year old, as @eFestivals put it upthread "enjoyment close to zero"

I really don't wanna put people off, cos festivals with kids are the best .... 

But you do know if you take your kid to a festival, they'll grow up to be a tory MP, or a banker. A vicar, or join the army. You know, rebel, rebel against YOU. 

My kid is just finishing his PhD in divinity at army college.

:P

i'd say "go for it". we've/i've taken our sprog since 9 weeks old (now nearly 17). your festival experience will be very different, but hey that's no bad thing. luckily i've always taken a van since 2000 so whilst tiny we took an awning too, giving much needed crawl/play/family space. make use of the amazing folk in the kidz field and green kids areas too.

4 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

After your youngest was born did you stop taking the firstborn?

Yep.

The gulf in comprehension between us and those that would never bring their kids is wider than that between us and those that bring multiple tiny kids. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those loons.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fair dos. Take them when they don't know what's happening. Leave them at home once they could enjoy it. :lol:

We had/have no one to look after 'em mate. Twas always a case of "if they can't go, we can't go". This summer if I'm lucky in the resale my Mrs will be missing her first Glasters since '04 as a result*.

*will try get her a ticket nonetheless and work something out.

I'm not coming this year, for this first time since 2005 as my other half is due in May and a month and a half year old is a little "too" young I think. That said, I'll be back with child in tow in 2019, although child will only be with us for the Wednesday and Thursday as I grew up around 15 miles from site and my parents still live there, so a chance to have a more normal festival over the other days. I'll continue that process until they get to an age when they'll appreciate the music and then let them stay for the whole thing.

Edited by mr flow

My daughter is 4 this year and I'd love to take her round the festival for a few hours, to see the Bootleg Beatles(Ticket To Ride is her favourite song) if nothing else (assuming an early slot), but there's no way she would enjoy several days of it. Not a chance.  She would get severely pissed off with the crowds, the size and the sound levels of the place.

Unfortunately, we live in Stockport and Mrs Two Hats has no interest in a weekend break in Somerset, where she spends several hours on her own and picking up/dropping off a child at a massive festival. Funny that.

Shame, because she starts school this year, so it's going to be tricky to take her in future years. Chilled out kid who would love the place - my daughter just isn't that. She's simply not old enough to enjoy it. Hopefully these court cases on term time holidays will translate into a substantial change in policy over the next few years.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My daughter is 4 this year and I'd love to take her round the festival for a few hours, to see the Bootleg Beatles(Ticket To Ride is her favourite song) if nothing else (assuming an early slot), but there's no way she would enjoy several days of it. Not a chance.  She would get severely pissed off with the crowds, the size and the sound levels of the place.

Unfortunately, we live in Stockport and Mrs Two Hats has no interest in a weekend break in Somerset, where she spends several hours on her own and picking up/dropping off a child at a massive festival. Funny that.

Shame, because she starts school this year, so it's going to be tricky to take her in future years. Chilled out kid who would love the place - my daughter just isn't that. She's simply not old enough to enjoy it. Hopefully these court cases on term time holidays will translate into a substantial change in policy over the next few years.

My 13 year old is the same so we go to smaller festivals but did bring him last year as it was his last free one. His school were very unhappy about it but we didnt get fined.

He was ok for most of the music but was properly freaked out after Adele in terms of the crowds - the trouble with the inbetween ages is that they are too big to be carried and yet get walked into all the time as people dont see them in the dark and that was at a time and place where we had done our best to avoid it.

We had quite a lot of downtime chilling above the Park which he loved, Avalon, The Big Top and the kids field. Plus I only had to watch 2 and a half Bastille songs before he lost interest and we could leave thank god. The only sets he enjoyed all the way through were Adele and Ronnie Spector.

He loves Green Man as he can just wander about on his own/ go down the front of the main stage etc.

We'll be taking our will be 18 month old this year, he's a complete dude so hopefully all will be fine. I'm not overly keen on the idea tbh, but the Mrs insists that all will be wonderful so who am I to argue. 

Took our daughter for a couple of days in 2014 when she was 6 and it wasn't too bad, she loved going to see the fireworks on the Wednesday and spent most of Thursday in the kids field. She wasn't too bad in the mud and the crowds, had lots of rides on my shoulders. Took her to see Sasha in the Glade on the Thursday night and she was fully loving it. Another little kid riding his Dad's shoulders gave her a glow stick which made my weekend, beautiful Glastonbury spirit moment right thur.

There were times when she was a complete nightmare though, getting stroppy and marching off into the crowd being one of many examples. And you're always in parent mode and therefore never fully relaxing and enjoying yourself. Happily we sent her packing to stay with the in-laws on the Friday and got utterly wasted for the remainder of the weekend, good times. That's not gonna be an option this year unfortunately.

We're not bringing a buggy at all and going for a sling/backpack carrier combo, but my main worry is that little man won't get much of a chance to run about outside of the kids field and will therefore get very frustrated and whingey which is no fun for anybody. Plus if it's really muddy we'll rarely get to put him down anywhere so we're gonna be completely knackered. Kids field is great and all but I really don't wanna be spending the entire weekend in there. I wanna go to all the big kids fields.

Loose plan of survival is to pick like 2/3 acts to see each day and then hang about those stages catching other random acts, giving a good couple of hours to get between each stage. 

Oh god one thing that's just occurred to me as a potential nightmare - meal time. Can't exactly take a highchair in. We need to develop some good Glastonbury toddler survival techniques between now and June.