End of the Road line up? so far underwhelmed.

Keneth

On 3/24/2017 at 10:38 AM, shoebox said:

Pretentious how?

That's just me.  I am just not that much into restrained singing, lyrics that focus solely on personal difficulties, artists who deliberately dress weird, beards and what I call 'Uncut' acts.  I like musicians to sing happy stuff, sing loud and look the part.  It is not black & white though.  I did really like the Low Anthem for example, who tick most of those boxes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/03/2017 at 10:03 AM, Watergirl said:

That's just me.  I am just not that much into restrained singing, lyrics that focus solely on personal difficulties, artists who deliberately dress weird, beards and what I call 'Uncut' acts.  I like musicians to sing happy stuff, sing loud and look the part.  It is not black & white though.  I did really like the Low Anthem for example, who tick most of those boxes.

I did wonder whether you meant the acts/bands were pretentious of the festival bookings were pretentious when I read the first comment.

I hope you enjoy the festival. Unfortunately, I think you may want to rule out enjoying a lot of the bands already though based on the above. It is very 'uncut'.

High beard count at EOTR.

2 hours ago, RustySpanner said:

I just don't get the Father John Misty love-in. I've really tried but just don't get it. But then I don't get John Grant either.

FJM the most over-rated artist since Mumford & Sons?

it took a fair bit of listening with both artists for me but once the penny drops it drops.

FJM first album is by far the best 

On 3/29/2017 at 0:40 AM, RustySpanner said:

I just don't get the Father John Misty love-in. I've really tried but just don't get it. But then I don't get John Grant either.

FJM the most over-rated artist since Mumford & Sons?

Got to say I'm totally with you on the first part of this post - I cannot understand the popularity of FJM and John Grant for the life of me.. FJM has a couple of good tracks but generally strikes me as mindnumbingly vain and pretentious with tiresome, heavy-handed 'politics.'

Wouldn't go as far as the M&S comparison though...

I saw 30 bands at a large overseas festival last year and FJM stood out as by far the best of those performing, even though I had seen him before. He had fantastic charisma on stage, stretching every sinew and he must have been exhausted at the end. H has amassed a great canon of uplifting songs with clever lyrics and strong melodies. But each to their own I guess.

I also thought John Grant's first album was one of the best of the decade though his subsequent output has struggled to maintain the same quality.

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

I know reviews aren't everything but Metacritic has the new FJM album at #2 for all the albums for 2017.

Hold your horses, that score is only based on 10 critics and the score will almost definitely drop when the album is released and more reviews are published. You are right though, it currently has a score of 93 which is incredibly high and surely means that it'll be in the mid to high 80's when most of the other reviews are published.

32 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

Hold your horses, that score is only based on 10 critics and the score will almost definitely drop when the album is released and more reviews are published. You are right though, it currently has a score of 93 which is incredibly high and surely means that it'll be in the mid to high 80's when most of the other reviews are published.

Agree. I guess all I was saying is that he is a pull for the critics, if nothing else.

If you can separate what he says in interviews with his stage performance, there is little to criticise on a non-music basis.

The couple of times I saw him, he just rattled through the songs with great charisma, pulling a few faces but certainly not going on any contentious political rants or anything that could be construed as obnoxious.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing him. I Love You, Honeybear was easily one of my favourite albums of 2015 and what I've heard from the new one gives my high hopes for something equally as enjoyable.

Yes, he comes across as a monumental twat, but I've heard nothing but good things about his live show. Can't wait!

1 hour ago, shoebox said:

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing him. I Love You, Honeybear was easily one of my favourite albums of 2015 and what I've heard from the new one gives my high hopes for something equally as enjoyable.

Yes, he comes across as a monumental twat, but I've heard nothing but good things about his live show. Can't wait!

his first album is by far his best for me and his latest has taken a few listens but is growing all the time.

I love FJM but can easily understand why someone wouldn't - it's an alter-ego (presumably) that seems based on acting the clever clogs. Agree with ILYHB is an absolute classic, I really hope the new album lives up to it. 

John Grant - QOD is an amazing album. Unfortunately the electronic stage an dad-dancing have put me off him. Remember him doing QOD on his own (well, abit of accompaniment) on the Garden Stage in 2011 (I think, it was on Sunday night in the drizzle) and he was simply magical. But again, underwhelmed after seeing him on the PGG tour, but that might just be me.

14 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

Not everyone has been so praiseworthy of Pure Comedy: http://www./2017/04/04/father-john-misty-pure-comedy-sub-pop/

Scathing.

And the albums editor for that very same website says that one of her other writers has it as "a favourite album of the year"

Again, all I was saying that he was a pull for the critics - only one out of 34 reviewers on metacritic gives it less than 70%.

Not saying all critics love it of course.

i have loved fjm previous albums. This one is perhaps a slower burner. The thing that really does stand out about this album.70 mins long phew that is just too long. i have been listening to it for a couple of weeks now. im not really sure how i feel about it. im having to force myself to listen again . knowing im probably going to end up loving it. but at this moment in time its just ok. . 

44 minutes ago, Fareham Grecian said:

Competition winners have just been announced. I wouldn't expect another announcement now, apart from maybe a couple of surprises and/or replacing dropouts; we are pretty much up to the number of artists from previous years now. 

thanks...

Thats a slightly mild annoyance. The line up being solid if not spectacular, with that killer act waiting to be announced (Nadine Shah notwithstanding...)