End of the Road line up? so far underwhelmed.

Keneth

I have been keen to go to the End of the Road for some years now but just never got around to it until now. The previous line ups have been great and I had missed out on some favourite artists like Steve Mason last year! Gutted. My honest feeling about this year is that I`m slightly disappointed and underwhelmed by the line up so far. Can anyone help me with some positivity about the festival and any suggestions about who could likely be added to the line up.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very American bohemian focused  this year which appeals to the younger audience like myself greatly 

they will probably announce bands you'll enjoy but wanted to announce the "popular hit" bands that are trendy and not playing elsewhere in UK first so that they could sell lots of tickets before glastonbury  and latitude sweep in

I think it's a fantastic lineup and if you give each of the bands a listen I reckon you'd find at least 25 bands you'd enjoy regardless of their size or "look"

It's probably expensive if there aren't enough bands that truly bloat your goat but it's such a great festival to come to anyway that it might be worth it just for the experience.

Check the line-up out on Spotify, you might be surprised.

Each year, when the line-up is announced, there's a lot of bands that I haven't even heard of but I've made some great discoveries there (as well as seeing some faves).

I won't be going to another festival this year as I've paid for EOTR. Just need to be hopefull that it lives up to expectations and be more open minded to the bands already announced. It just feels like it's changed tack slightly compared to previous years.

Have listened to some of the line up on spotty as suggested and a few things sounded interesting like Gulp, Real Estate and J & MC but on the whole just a bit lacking for me. It's frustrating when you're already committed and you see your faves playing elsewhere. Got to get on with it now and hope that the sun shines!

I went to End of the Road last year just because I wanted to go, there were a couple of acts I really wanted to see again (2 to be precise) but despite not knowing a lot of the line up I had a fantastic time

For me I felt as is there were many bad choices made by the organisers (closing everything down sunday night for the headliner the only one that comes to mind), just about every act I chose to see I enjoyed and at the same time most people seems to enjoy the acts I didn't see.

That a hard thing to pull off at a festival, so on the back of that i've booked again this year, again there aren't lots of acts I listen to regularly but a brief look at the spotify list has already identified some that I am looking forward to seeing.

its a great little festival, with the people that go, the setting of the garden stage you cant help but have a good time 

9 hours ago, thurlow84 said:

For me I felt as is there were many bad choices made by the organisers (closing everything down sunday night for the headliner the only one that comes to mind), just about every act I chose to see I enjoyed and at the same time most people seems to enjoy the acts I didn't see.

I agree about the Sunday night plan being a disaster - for the second time in the 9 years I have been going - but 'many' bad choices? I'd love to know what you think they are? Best organised - and plain best - festival I have ever been to. 

In my limited experience of smaller festivals there has been a tendency to have a volume is best policy and a lack of consideration for others and audiences ear drums. I do hope EOTR errs on the side of quality. Maybe i'm showing my age, but so many live venues now just do the volume up to 11 thing. Shutting everything down for the headliner sounds a bit overkill though. 

On 02/03/2017 at 7:17 PM, Fareham Grecian said:

I agree about the Sunday night plan being a disaster - for the second time in the 9 years I have been going - but 'many' bad choices? I'd love to know what you think they are? Best organised - and plain best - festival I have ever been to. 

Simple typo....is said were and meant weren't as the following sentence indicated I could only think of one 

Likewise, I have never been to this festival but want to every year as the line up always appeals to me... and this year is no exception, I think I am going to end up going on my own... the bands doing it for me which I think are a must see are:

Parquet Courts, Foxygen, Alvvays, Deerhoof and Real Estate - just hope there are no clashes!

In my limited experience of smaller festivals there has been a tendency to have a volume is best policy and a lack of consideration for others and audiences ear drums. I do hope EOTR errs on the side of quality. Maybe i'm showing my age, but so many live venues now just do the volume up to 11 thing. Shutting everything down for the headliner sounds a bit overkill though. 

Having spent a few days listening to some of the bands on spotty (couldn't find a play list for this year's lineup) and receiving some good helpful replies here I'm feeling more confident that I've made the rite choice in EOTR. Still not that excited about the headiners, hopefully some possible later additions might spice things up a bit.

never been to this festival myself but Father John Misty, Band of Horses and Car seat headrest on lineup so I think I'm gonna book my ticket next week.

I'm sure I'll pickup another 4 or 5 acts I like over the summer and that'll do me.

Also this festival usually clashes with No 6 so might be my only chance to check this festival out.

there are always bands that I discover in the months leading up to the festival - so go through the line up and listen to the names you don't know!  my recommendations are jens lekman, deerhoof, let's eat grandma, girl ray and foxygen.

generally speaking it is an incredible festival in terms of organisation, the site (beautiful!), food, people, toilets, etc.  and it is primarily a music festival for obsessive music fans which means that sound quality is always great and the audiences are full of respectful committed fans - however, it does mean that if you're not a fan of the music there isn't much else to do (unlike, say, latitude).

Edited by WM Hall

Just seen the latest line up additions and the headliner shot in the arm that I was hoping for hasn't happened. As they say every cloud has a silver lining so more time to spend elsewhere. I`m Looking forward to seeing Slowdive and Pond though so not all bad.

I'm never that fussed about the headliners, even if I like 'em I cant be doing with the worship that tends to be bestowed upon them, I go for the undercard, which is always brilliant, and looks brilliant again. Of those I dont know, I have a listen to Scott Hirsch and now I'm a fan and I'm now listening to Sinkane, and that bugger has me all excited, and while I typed that Romare came on the playlist and bugger me, that has me excited too.

It's the festie that never fails.

I was hoping that someone familiar and exciting would be added but i'm now in agreement that it's going to be more about the undercard. Have spent some time listening to the headliners to give them a fair crack but it's just not happening unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first EOTR.  I am going as a steward to earn my ticket.  I have friends that go every year and they love the festival.

To be honest, the entire line up looks terribly pretentious to me, but I am always keen to try something different.  My boyfriend has been accusing me of getting more and more trad and folk-minded every year, so this is a new venture.

I have been delving into the line up and so far I have come across Ryley Walker and Daniel Romano whom I didn't know but would be keen to check out.

Only a few acts that I know well.  I wholeheartedly recommend Lankum and Lisa O'Neill.