The joy of shouting "hey you guys"

glastolover19

Does anyone know what happened to the outdoor cinema up by wicket ground? I know it was something about licensing but can anyone elaborate? One of my happiest memory was watching The Goonies at whatever time of night and everyone joining in when Sloth says it. I know they got the new drive in thing this year so hopefully be as good :)

36 minutes ago, Chipbarm said:

I think they had to get rid of the cinema to make room for crew camping. I expect the queues for the drive in with be huge this year.

I thought it was due to license issues but don't know for sure. Such a shame as it was awesome and within stumbling distance of camp. There was something magical about 300-400 people going mad and losing their sh!t when Sloth say the iconic line or when Doc Brown said "Great Scott" at 2am

I thought someone had posted on here saying the reason the cinema moved to an indoor venue was because the council thought minors could easily get into a field and see stuff deemed inappropriate for their age.

But if that were the case surely this new drive-in thing wouldn't be allowed. Unless it's inside a fence or something.

9 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I thought someone had posted on here saying the reason the cinema moved to an indoor venue was because the council thought minors could easily get into a field and see stuff deemed inappropriate for their age.

But if that were the case surely this new drive-in thing wouldn't be allowed. Unless it's inside a fence or something.

You could be right that seems like a ridiculously stupid thing for the council to do

32 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

The idea of an open air cinema posing the greatest risk of a minor seeing inappropriate things at Glastonbury genuinely made me spurt my tea back into the mug when I read it. 

*Parent turns child away from mild horror /sexual content on open air big screen*

*Child watches with mild curiosity the acid casualty trying to take a shit in his own rucksack while a gimp on stilts and a leash is led around by a drag queen instead*

Edited by Quark

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

The idea of an open air cinema posing the greatest risk of a minor seeing inappropriate things at Glastonbury genuinely made me spurt my tea back into the mug when I read it. 

*Parent turns child away from mild horror /sexual content on open air big screen*

*Child watches with mild curiosity the acid casualty trying to take a shit in his own rucksack while a gimp on stilts and a leash is led around by a drag queen instead*

Exactly sir,well put.

Remember my son when he was 4-5 saying "daddy what's that" turns out it was a crack-head in neon tutu sh!tting and puking at same time behind a generator. Admittedly its hilarious now but at time it was bit awkward.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm out of likes already. I didn't say it made sense. Just passing on gossip really. I could believe it though. Council minion thinking "Hmm. there's clearly a breach of a well defined rule here".

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

I'm out of likes already. I didn't say it made sense. Just passing on gossip really. I could believe it though. Council minion thinking "Hmm. there's clearly a breach of a well defined rule here".

As always it's the thought that counts

5 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Exactly sir,well put.

Remember my son when he was 4-5 saying "daddy what's that" turns out it was a crack-head in neon tutu sh!tting and puking at same time behind a generator. Admittedly its hilarious now but at time it was bit awkward.

They don't teach that level of real life experience in schools.  I call that solid parenting.

24 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It is true though. Was an article on Glastonbury website a couple of years back. Open air cinemas only allowed to show u certificate films now. 

Oh I know.  It's the context being applied somewhere like Glastonbury that makes me chuckle.

So by that principle will the same ruling be applied to the drive-in this year? Or is it different if access is controlled?

23 minutes ago, baggienick68 said:

Wasn't it more about the noise? I remember trying to get to sleep in Pylon and being kept awake by The Frighteners. Happy days.

Same experience, but I was in Spring Ground and the movie was Transformers! Remember thinking I'd never get to sleep.....but suddenly I was waking up and it was at 9AM :lol:

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Dunno. 

Dunno. 

Julien temple films innit. 

This is my thinking. Filth and the Fury, Joe Strummer - the future is unwritten, Great rock n roll swindle, etc. I might well be tempted if this is on at some point:

Absolute2-640.jpg

I remember camping right next to the fence at the bottom of Wicket Ground in 2007 and the Cinema was in the next field facing me (I think near where JP now is). I struggled to get to sleep one night because all I could hear was Borat booming out from the next field at 3 in the morning. Surreal experience