Beach Boys

chatty

I've seen both. Let's not mince words, Brian's band is better. But it's not quite so simple

Jeff Foskett, a long time key member of Brian's band now playing with Mike puts it well:

Wilson’s band has more members and they play parts with acoustic instruments that the Beach Boys synthesize. But while the Wilson vocalists trade vocal parts, the Beach Boys have a consistent vocal stack

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/entertainment/music/2014/09/22/beach-boys-brian-wilson-jeffrey-foskett/16070181/

But to put it in context, Brian Wilson's band is a pretty high bar. Star power aside, The Beach Boys do just as good a job as, say Paul McCartney's band. They may synthesise a lot of acoustic parts, but they can all sing and play guitar very well. And although Brian Wilson is the genius responsible for the compositions, he's not without his issues, which can lead to a stage presence that can be... unnerving  at times.

They're still a fun band - they do play Beach Boys songs after all. And the vocals are decent, which has to be the main thing.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe (one of) the last chance(s) to see Brian Wilson. Standing still available:

http://brianwilsonpetsounds.seetickets.com/event/50-summers-of-love/exhibition-centre-liverpool-liverpool/1075763

that sent out a press release claiming it's his last Uk show. it's not, there's gigs in Newc and elsewhere after that.

My latest thoughts on Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys is that probably neither are playing Glasto, but Brian might be - quite possibly is - playing the Glastonbury Extravaganza.

Just now, eFestivals said:

that sent out a press release claiming it's his last Uk show. it's not, there's gigs in Newc and elsewhere after that.

My latest thoughts on Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys is that probably neither are playing Glasto, but Brian might be - quite possibly is - playing the Glastonbury Extravaganza.

That's why I put the brackets in. It may not be his last gig in the country, but it may well be his last tour. The man is getting on and deserves a good retirement.  Liverpool is far enough from where I am, so for me, it's essentially my last go.

I've bagged a standing.  Anyone know when the last transport to Manchester from Liverpool is?

Just now, eFestivals said:

Sounds sensible. The Beach Boys' tour dates make a trip to Glastonbury a bit illogical and Brian is playing all over the place in the UK between July and August. Tbf the 'last UK show' would carry as much weight as the "last" Pet Sounds anniversary show he played in London a few months ago.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Sounds sensible. The Beach Boys' tour dates make a trip to Glastonbury a bit illogical and Brian is playing all over the place in the UK between July and August. Tbf the 'last UK show' would carry as much weight as the "last" Pet Sounds anniversary show he played in London a few months ago.

It may well be bollocks, but at his age and health, there's no guarantee he'll do it again.  I wouldn't say I'm waiting for the day he dies, but he could be here today, gone tomorrow.  God only knows how I'd feel if I passed up the opportunity. Wouldn't it be nice to think you saw him on his last tour?

It's a tricky decision, but I know there's an answer.  Potentially missing Brian Wilson's last tour, doing the Pet Sounds album?  That's not me.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

It may well be bollocks, but at his age and health, there's no guarantee he'll do it again.  I wouldn't say I'm waiting for the day he dies, but he could be here today, gone tomorrow.  God only knows how I'd feel if I passed up the opportunity. Wouldn't it be nice to think you saw him on his last tour?

It's a tricky decision, but I know there's an answer.  Potentially missing Brian Wilson's last tour, doing the Pet Sounds album?  That's not me.

Stuartbert, No.

Does anyone else think pet sounds is a very overrated album?

It is of course a brilliant album, but it is not even the best album by the beach boys, so I have always been somewhat baffled by how high up it always is in "best albums ever lists". 

I compare it to sgt pepper really. That album is always near the top of best album ever lists, but it's nowhere near the best beatles album.

What's going on?

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Does anyone else think pet sounds is a very overrated album?

It is of course a brilliant album, but it is not even the best album by the beach boys, so I have always been somewhat baffled by how high up it always is in "best albums ever lists". 

I compare it to sgt pepper really. That album is always near the top of best album ever lists, but it's nowhere near the best beatles album.

What's going on?

That's by Marvin Gaye.

BW was fantastic in 2005 - sun was out, stood up on the hill abit, enjoying dry ground after the rain. Can't beat it.

Saw him a couple (?) of years later doing 'That Lucky Old Sun' on the southbank and he still sounded amazing.

I'm guessing 10 years have passed - does he still sound good? The years had taken their toll even 10 years ago but the band were stunning.

I have no desire to see anything with Mike Love in, regardless of what it's called. 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I am pretty sure last year was going to be his last time playing Pet Sounds in England as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, zahidf said:

I doubt it will be Mike Love's beach boys. Hes a loud and proud Trump supporter, has played several benefits, attended the inaguration and thinks the muslim ban is a great idea

Im thinking the Eavis's wont have him play given all that!

Eavis is no less against Thatcher and tax avoidance, but he was happy enough to book The Tax Avoiding Thatcherites as his biggest ever booking a few years back.

Seems like Eavis is more accepting of people than you or Trump.

But anyway, I found out what I'd been hearing of Michael speaking about 'the beach boys' isn't about this year's Glastonbury festival after all.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Eavis is no less against Thatcher and tax avoidance, but he was happy enough to book The Tax Avoiding Thatcherites as his biggest ever booking a few years back.

Seems like Eavis is more accepting of people than you or Trump.

But anyway, I found out what I'd been hearing of Michael speaking about 'the beach boys' isn't about this year's Glastonbury festival after all.

Id probably say helping A racist facist get into power by raising money for them is a tiny bit worse than being a thatcherite!

Anyhow, as u say, they arent playing, so thats fine.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Id probably say helping A racist facist get into power by raising money for them is a tiny bit worse than being a thatcherite!

Anyhow, as u say, they arent playing, so thats fine.

oh yeah, I'd forgotten that you'd been saying the death camps would be opening soon. Do you have an opening date yet?

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

PS: didn't Eavis invite the (your words) brexit supporting racist that's Jezza last year?

Seems like an invite for Trump would also be on the cards then. :P

Jez was a remain supporter who definitely voted that way according to him...

Even Brexit supporters arent as bad as Trump supporters anyway!

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Jez was a remain supporter who definitely voted that way according to him...

but who is now a brexit turncoat, and anyone who supports brexit is a racist, accpording to you.

24 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Even Brexit supporters arent as bad as Trump supporters anyway!

Oh, so all brexit supporters are racists, but Trumpers are worse than racists?

Can I ask what extra nastiness do Trumpers have over plain old racism?

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not sure if we ever got to the bottom of this, but Brian Wilson has just been announced for the Glastonbury Abbey Musical Extravaganza so guess that explains where the info came from. Shame, would've been ace at the main event, but ah well.

Popped up on my Facebook feed and I got excited for about two seconds (old habits die hard).

Edited by Homer

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not sure if we ever got to the bottom of this, but Brian Wilson has just been announced for the Glastonbury Abbey Musical Extravaganza so guess that explains where the info came from. Shame, would've been ace at the main event, but ah well.

Yeah, Neil had pretty much decided that was the root of the rumours a while ago unfortunately.