BBC accidental line up announcement.

themuel

1 hour ago, Tyonks said:

Cool, yea I haven't been on much recently - having a 10 months year old daughter is very time consuming! haha

Lightweight!

Ignoring them while yer on yer phone on eFests is character building. She'll have an implant rather than a phone with which to ignore you and talk to her mates by the time she's a teenager. 

Get the ignoring in now, like a 1950s dad hiding behind his broadsheet. She'll be doing it to you in a few years, swearing at you in slang you don't understand and dressing like a space-moron. 

And you'll need to buy her a drone bike to fly to sixth form on for her 17th birthday.

Or something.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, themuel said:

@eFestivals so does this put the chances higher than the original 25% or just 'reckless' mistake making as talked about in the other thread? 

I think it's reckless, cock-up, low journalistic standards, whatever. Take your pick.

I don't think it's because they already have access to info from glasto of what will be announced in the future.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's reckless, cock-up, low journalistic standards, whatever. Take your pick.

I don't think it's because they already have access to info from glasto of what will be announced in the future.

Speaking of all this after FF now, someone pointed out we have info that puts Alt-J opposite Foo's?

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

BBC is an official partner of the festival, so maybe they do know something that the rest of us don't. I'm not saying they're kept in the loop all through the booking stages but a band as big as Green Day playing the other stage would warrant a bit more coverage than usual I'd say. 

I have no clue how early BBC start talking to Glasto re the TV coverage. But I'm sure both Green Day and Glasto would like a little more TV time if they pulled it off, so maybe that's how they could've caught wind of it all? 

I might be clutching at straws a little bit though, FF on the Saturday so speculation will continue right up to poster day and maybe even beyond that

10 minutes ago, across97 said:

BBC is an official partner of the festival, so maybe they do know something that the rest of us don't. I'm not saying they're kept in the loop all through the booking stages but a band as big as Green Day playing the other stage would warrant a bit more coverage than usual I'd say. 

I have no clue how early BBC start talking to Glasto re the TV coverage. But I'm sure both Green Day and Glasto would like a little more TV time if they pulled it off, so maybe that's how they could've caught wind of it all? 

I might be clutching at straws a little bit though, FF on the Saturday so speculation will continue right up to poster day and maybe even beyond that

all the TV coverage fine detail stuff (bands) is done after the announcements, as far as i'm aware. And anyway, there's a huge separation between TV production and the news department who would have done that article.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

all the TV coverage fine detail stuff (bands) is done after the announcements, as far as i'm aware. And anyway, there's a huge separation between TV production and the news department who would have done that article.

That's very true. Not as if they'll sit opposite eachother and can overhear a conversation.

I just find it very strange that at least 3 people would've looked over that article, you'd think they would notice if something  was completely factually incorrect. So the way I interpret it is somehow they must've caught wind of Green Day playing and just didn't realise they weren't confirmed before sending it out. Either way its poor journalism, made even poorer if they'e published something based on guesswork. 

4 minutes ago, across97 said:

That's very true. Not as if they'll sit opposite eachother and can overhear a conversation.

I just find it very strange that at least 3 people would've looked over that article, you'd think they would notice if something  was completely factually incorrect. So the way I interpret it is somehow they must've caught wind of Green Day playing and just didn't realise they weren't confirmed before sending it out. Either way its poor journalism, made even poorer if they'e published something based on guesswork. 

The writer probably thought a rumour he'd heard was confirmed info, and any checkers were probably thinking others would do their jobs probably and so cover their own slackness.

Friday night, lots of things to be distracted by - including a foos stream - etc, etc, etc. Just normal humans, who sometimes fuck up.

9 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Saturday. Lady gaga - foo fighters

Sunday. Green day - Ed Sheeran

Whatever your musical taste that is an incredibly strong set of sub's and headliners and would be the envy of festival bookers worldwide

It should be sheeran supporting Greenday! In my little opinion.

37 minutes ago, across97 said:

This would be my take on it. As you said in your earlier post the BBC are partners and whether we like it or not they are important partners.

None of us can know for sure how much, if any, influence the Bbc will have over headliner bookings but Adele and Ed will be perfect for the wider Bbc audience.

Im guessing the Bbc know it's green day, just as they did when reading had them in that surprise morning slot - cameras everywhere to film folk running across the site.

They know and didn't know that the wider audience weren't due to find out for a few weeks yet.

14 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Saturday. Lady gaga - foo fighters

Sunday. Green day - Ed Sheeran

Whatever your musical taste that is an incredibly strong set of sub's and headliners and would be the envy of festival bookers worldwide

Hmmmmm....

Have a look at the Other headliners of the last few years, and then say whether you think it really looks likely. :P

Neither are impossible, but I have big doubts about both.

48 minutes ago, across97 said:

I'd be amazed if this is the case for every bit of content on BBC News mate. Particularly late on a Friday night, people may spot-check but there's no way 3 people look over that article in-depth before it goes live, particularly as it was a hurried piece following the announcement rather than a document which would have needed legal approval or anything like that.

My day job is to update a very prominent website within a team of 8 for what it's worth (though admittedly nowhere near BBC size).

Edited by EamerRed

Ed is pretty much a given and they mentioned him, as well as Green Day. Although Ed is a given it's only a given to us on here who have put bits and bobs together, it's never actually been said just assumed. So Green Day must have come from somewhere, there is obviously some substance, just like with Ed.

Couple that with the statement/tweet/retraction, if it was a genuine mistake I don't think they'd bother, it just seems very odd/guilty to me.

2 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

They know and didn't know that the wider audience weren't due to find out for a few weeks yet.

I's not impossible of course, but I just think it's hugely unlikely.

While I don't doubt that the beeb are an important partner, the BBCGlasto twitter account was twittering last night about the foos gig, but not from the gig. Why would a random working a bad slot on the newsdesk get more privileged access to glast stuff than the actual BBCGlasto twitter guy?

People who work at the beeb are just as susceptible to rumour, cock-up and slack work as anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So Green Day must have come from somewhere, there is obviously some substance, just like with Ed.

Just now, eFestivals said:

People who work at the beeb are just as susceptible to rumour, cock-up and slack work as anyone else. 

Anyone reading the article over would have probably assumed that basic facts like that were accurate - and if they're not a glasto obsessive, why would they know different?

Just now, eFestivals said:

Anyone reading the article over would have probably assumed that basic facts like that were accurate - and if they're not a glasto obsessive, why would they know different?

Agreed, but either the Beeb get all their Glastonbury info from here, or if not, Green Day had to come from somewhere in the same way that Ed did, who is pretty much 99.9999% a given.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Couple that with the statement/tweet/retraction, if it was a genuine mistake I don't think they'd bother, it just seems very odd/guilty to me.

it's a big mistake to make. It makes the article about confirming 3 of the worlds biggests acts and not just one.

It was the honourable thing to make clear their error, and to stop it spreading. It's something I've done on efests at least once, too.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Agreed, but either the Beeb get all their Glastonbury info from here, or if not, Green Day had to come from somewhere in the same way that Ed did, who is pretty much 99.9999% a given.

might be something as simple as his mate in the pub told him they were playing, and he trusted his mate and decided he didn't have to check what he was sure was right.

More time and effort to check everything can sort that, but you've got to have the time available to make that effort, and you've got to want to make that effort - and when working a bum shift on a friday night.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's a big mistake to make. It makes the article about confirming 3 of the worlds biggests acts and not just one.

It was the honourable thing to make clear their error, and to stop it spreading. It's something I've done on efests at least once, too.

Yes fair point. I guess I'm looking at it from a marketing point of view, let's say this was another festival and the Beeb got the article wrong and the the bands mentioned were not headlining said festival, I can't imagine the festival in question would be in too much of a hurry to get the BBC to retract it, at least straight away anyway, because it would provide a nice bit of publicity for a few days. They might be in more of a hurry to get them to do this if it was actually true and they didn't want the bands in question to get the hump about it being leaked early. The flaw with this logic is that Glastonbury do not need the hype of false rumours.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I posted this over in the announcements thread, but I'll copy and paste here as it seems more appropriate.

In other news, my friend at the BBC got back to me. Although they work at the online news bit they're not responsible for the entertainment news. Anyhow, they seem to think it was more likely to have been embargoed and published accidentally as it would be very unusual for that sort of mistake to have happened and very unlikely that they'd be slack enough to just print a rumour or publish something from just one source.

I'm going to go with someone just being slack though. ;)

Edit just to add that I don't really think it's likely to have been embargoed because it would be fairly unusual for this sort of info to go out too far in advance. If it was embargoed that would indicate both Sheeran and Green Day are being announced fairly soon. I can imagine that might be the case for Sheeran, but not Green Day...

Edited by musky

7 minutes ago, musky said:

I posted this over in the announcements thread, but I'll copy and paste here as it seems more appropriate.

In other news, my friend at the BBC got back to me. Although they work at the online news bit they're not responsible for the entertainment news. Anyhow, they seem to think it was more likely to have been embargoed and published accidentally as it would be very unusual for that sort of mistake to have happened and very unlikely that they'd be slack enough to just print a rumour or publish something from just one source.

I'm going to go with someone just being slack though. ;)

with embargo'd info to somewhere like a newsdesk - or even eFestivals - it only gets sent out a short time before the embargo time .... not weeks before. A few days, perhaps.

Who gets it when (how early) can depend on a number of different things, but from the festival's point of view it's always sent as last-minute as they think works.

That 'send as late as possible' thing is done for practical purposes, because things might always change during an embargo, and the longer the embargo'd news the more chance of something having changed.

They'd also avoid sending two for announcement at different times. There's just too much chance for cock-up.

I'm 100% certain it was cock-up, even if the names get announced down the line.